Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2009, 06:19 AM

1,715 posts, read 6,978,530 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
Kimbo was indeed a joke and never should have seen the light of day...shame on MMA.
Yes, shame on Gary Shaw, the boxing promoter, and anyone that believed the hype of one man.

Quote:
McCall, by the way, was not being promoted as the "Second Coming" like Kimbo was for the cheesy knockout-obsessed, credibility-starved MMA crowd.
I don't know how many different times or ways that I have to say this, but every knowledgeable MMA fan knew that "Kimbo" was a joke. No one believed that hype but you man. Sure, some kids that only watch backyard brawls or something on YouTube probably thought he was the second coming, but no real MMA fans thought that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2009, 04:45 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,375,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in TN View Post
Yes, shame on Gary Shaw, the boxing promoter, and anyone that believed the hype of one man.

I don't know how many different times or ways that I have to say this, but every knowledgeable MMA fan knew that "Kimbo" was a joke. No one believed that hype but you man. Sure, some kids that only watch backyard brawls or something on YouTube probably thought he was the second coming, but no real MMA fans thought that.
Gary Shaw? Who is he?

It doesn't matter whether you're a "knowledgeable" MMA fan or not, the man was not a product of the Sweet Science, didn't pursue Boxing, and was not promoted for Boxing, for a reason. You're missing the point, man.

His farcical existence only belonged in the realm that is MMA...which is my point, man. Again, the hand-to-hand combat that is Boxing is much preferred over the glorified wrestling matches of MMA...man. Plenty of hardcore boxing fans feel this way.

Old 03-12-2009, 01:33 AM

5,717 posts, read 16,343,273 times
Sweet Science Sweet Science Sweet Science Sweet Science

Old 03-12-2009, 01:39 AM

Default MMA doesn't compare to even the history of boxing

Ali-Williams. At about the 7:40-7:42 mark, take a look at Ali's intense glare back at Williams after putting him away. Shows the intense competitor that Ali was, a man capable of throwing punches with "mean intentions."

YouTube - Muhammad Ali vs. Cleveland Williams HD

Old 03-12-2009, 03:40 AM

Default This is my last post in this thread

I think I've made my point. I'm a hardcore Boxing fan. I love Boxing. It is the sport of hand-to-hand combat, a sport with a rich history. Right now the heavyweight division is the most lackluster that it has ever been, so this of course provides an opening for MMA fans who are starving for recognition to claim that MMA replaces Boxing. I think this is the most ridiculous point of view that I have ever heard.

I don't care for the cheesy, gimmicky feel of the sport, where guys like Bob Sapp and Kimbo live. It's got a cheap feel to it, like a sport for grunts and trash. It's a great sport for fans like Billy Bob from the backwoods of Alabama or Jimmy John from the poor trailer park delta region of Mississippi. The wrestling/grappling/ground work or whatever you want to call it, I certainly don't care for. Who the hell wants to watch guys on the ground in a glorified wrestling match? Not me.

If I'm not watching Boxing, I prefer KickBoxing. No wrestling here. Here's an example. Once a man is down, notice that he's not instantly pounced on like some fight in the back alley behind a bar.

YouTube - KICKBOXING K1

So rant on. I'm not here to knock those who like this sport, but I think MMA/UFC sucks. Plenty of others feel the same way.

Old 03-12-2009, 03:48 PM

1,949 posts, read 5,261,029 times
quote: Alexus

Quote:
This is my last post in this thread
good!

Quote:
I think I've made my point. I'm a hardcore Boxing fan. I love Boxing.
this is the only point you have made. that boxing is superior to Mixed Martial Arts as a sport, artform, or entertainment is a point which you have failed to make. miserably.

Quote:
Right now the heavyweight division is the most lackluster that it has ever been, so this of course provides an opening for MMA fans who are starving for recognition to claim that MMA replaces Boxing. I think this is the most ridiculous point of view that I have ever heard.
MMA fans arent starved for recognition at all. we are happy with the state of the sport. we could give a crap if our mom's and old ladies like you watch it or like it. the only one who brings this issue up is YOU. you are the one who brings this crap up to falsly assure yourself that boxing isnt being replaced by MMA. the rest of us just know that it is.

Quote:
I don't care for the cheesy, gimmicky feel of the sport, where guys like Bob Sapp and Kimbo live. It's got a cheap feel to it, like a sport for grunts and trash. It's a great sport for fans like Billy Bob from the backwoods of Alabama or Jimmy John from the poor trailer park delta region of Mississippi.
you say that it's cheesy but you havnt seen it in over a decade. your racsit crap bugs me, but it shows everybody how diluted you are.

Quote:
The wrestling/grappling/ground work or whatever you want to call it, I certainly don't care for. Who the hell wants to watch guys on the ground in a glorified wrestling match? Not me.
i do. and apparently a lot of people do. that's why MMA is so popular. just because you dont like it (on principle) dont mean it aint no good. btw, in an actual fight, 9 times outta 10, a wrestler destroys a boxer .

Quote:
If I'm not watching Boxing, I prefer KickBoxing. No wrestling here. Here's an example. Once a man is down, notice that he's not instantly pounced on like some fight in the back alley behind a bar.

YouTube - KICKBOXING K1
your clips are pointless. just like your posts on the subject.

Quote:
So rant on. I'm not here to knock those who like this sport
yet, thats all you've done.

Quote:
but I think MMA/UFC sucks. Plenty of others feel the same way.
and plenty more feel the opposite. btw, great job of ignoring every post that refuted your ignorant point of view. your ignorance and bias are mind-boggling.

p!$$ off.

Last edited by Linson; 03-12-2009 at 04:12 PM.. Reason: sp

Old 03-13-2009, 01:36 AM

499 posts, read 1,528,038 times
MMA/UFC is not boxing, nor does it pretend to be. The whole "boxing vs MMA" argument that this thread became is kinda pointless.

MMA is what it is. It's not "superior" to boxing. American football isn't superior to rugby. Formula One isn't superior to NASCAR. Weightlifting isn't superior to powerlifting. Snow skiing isn't superior to snowboarding. These sports are similar, yet very different at the same time. They all have their merit. They all have their fans.

MMA will continue to evolve in some ways. Boxing will grow in popularity again very soon. They don't have to be at odds with each other.

Old 03-13-2009, 11:04 AM

1,949 posts, read 5,261,029 times
quote: roncorey1 [
Quote:
B]These guys DO NOT box!!! [/b]

WIth all due repect to the obvious wrestling, jiu-jitsu, and kicking skills of the MMA guys as well as their conditioning, I don't see much boxing skills at all with these guys.
this is a fair point to make, but it could be that you, as someone who doesnt particularly care for MMA, may not have seen enough of it to make an accurate assessment. the fact is that there are former professional boxers, and olympic boxers in the UFC and WEC. and once in a while you may get what amounts to a boxing match between two skilled boxers. but to be fair, what you are likely to see is not a boxing match, due to the fact that it doesnt have to be a boxing match. there is always the variables of kicks, grappling, judo, and other martial arts that come into play. if one fighter feels he is losing the boxing match, he can attempt to make the fight a grappling match.

Quote:
I think this whole thread was started by a guy who feels threatened some how by MMA in that it has overtaken boxing in popularity in the U.S. in recent years.
it's good to see that youre at least sensible enough that, as a boxing fan and a person who doesnt particulary care for MMA, you can clearly recognize this fact.

Old 03-15-2009, 01:47 PM

499 posts, read 1,528,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linson View Post
what you are likely to see is not a boxing match, due to the fact that it doesnt have to be a boxing match.

And that is my whole point: it isn't boxing. It may, at times, include some boxing technique or style, but from what I see most of the time it turns into a grappling/wrestling match. Maybe a little kickboxing at times.

But you what REALLY turns me off to MMA? The chocking and hitting behind the head. To me that's when it just becomes a street fight or a brawl. But hey;that seems to be the appeal for some folks.

Old 03-15-2009, 02:00 PM

1,715 posts, read 6,978,530 times
What former Olympic boxers are in the UFC or WEC? That has me stumped.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)