Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2009, 11:59 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,491,299 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dirty View Post
The irony here is that most boxers are low class people who got into boxing to stay out of trouble whereas the mma fighters are usually middle class guys from good backgrounds.
There is no denying that, I mean Chuck Liddel has an accounting degree from Cal Poly, Rich Franklin was a Math Teacher...how many boxers have those credentials? But Boxing has become an Inner City sport, while MMA really transitions well from High School and Collegiate sports like Wrestling for example.

Also Boxing is in FACT more ruthless than MMA, because Boxing relies on head trauma to win the fight. In MMA you can armbar a guy...he still has his brain though.

But like I said both can co-exist and do, I enjoy both sports.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2009, 09:48 PM

2,782 posts, read 4,163,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
I have to admit. The first time I saw UFC, I was very interested in it. I'm talking about UFC I, II, and III. This is when Royce Gracie won. It was different and a bit low-keyed. Certainly, not at all in the league of Boxing, but an interesting aversion. Now I'm just sick of it all. It seems like nothing but a bunch of rednecks and convicts swinging at each other like two amateurs only to end up on the ground wrestling. The ambiance of it has a plastic, cheap feel like Roller Derby or WWE. It's too gimmicky for me. I'm not a fan.

I read a headline as to whether this barbaric-looking Kimbo Slice was the next Mike Tyson. Well, let me be honest. Kimbo is nothing but a gimmick, a barbaric, beast-looking character fighting in a sport for grunts and wrestlers. He nor the sport will ever attain the level of class, sophistication, or status that is Boxing. I prefer "The Sweet Science."
Yea, boxers are so sophisticated lol...

Old 09-14-2009, 01:34 PM

750 posts, read 2,275,871 times
I love boxing but it has lost alot of it's appeal, maybe I'm more partial to heavyweights but I can't name any. I don't know who is who anymore or who has what or who's fighting next. I just feel it's lost it's main stream audience, one being me.

Old 09-15-2009, 11:25 PM

3,387 posts, read 6,624,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Eventually someone will be killed as a result of these fights, and then the Congressional hearings will begin.

My purely personal point of view is that it adds a great dose of realism to fighting, but is a step backward for civilization.
On average there are 11 deaths each year due to boxing, and only 2 recorded deaths due to MMA (one of which had a pre existing contition which could have been part of the cause of death).

In fact, there are more American League Football deaths recorded than in MMA.

So YES, MMA is MUCH safer!

Is Ultimate Fighting Safer Than Boxing? - Associated Content - associatedcontent.com

MMA vs boxing: Which is more dangerous? - Ground and Pound

Old 09-16-2009, 12:09 AM

3,387 posts, read 6,624,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
than anything that MMA can and has ever put out.

Couple of comments about this fight:
That's BS.

Some of the best fighting I have ever seen has been MMA fighting, as opposed to boxing. But I still love watching the old fights (like Ali Frazier), I just don't think new boxing is as fun.

It's a personal opinion, to each their own, ya know?

One of my fav fighters is Bas Rutten. If you like boxing, check out some of his older Pancrase videos. You might actually like that type of MMA fighting.

(keep in mind he is commentating his own fight, which is even better)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBUJa7ndYL0

And this is why I like him, he's just FUNNY!

YouTube - Bas Rutten's Street Fighting - Part 2

Smack him in the head and break his liver!

Last edited by Cav Scout wife; 09-16-2009 at 12:18 AM..

Old 11-10-2009, 07:49 PM

60 posts, read 217,623 times
This is like a year later from the original post back in 2008. But, as I watch the MMA fights on TV now in the present, i just cant se how some folks think it's "sloppy" fighting, or just a bunch of grunts wailng it out. Umm..that sounds like BOXING to me.

And I grew up with boxing. So i do like it. I remember watching Ali fight back when the fights were FREE on TV. LOL My dad use to coach a team when he was in the airforce, and I use to go over to the base with him and watch him. This was AGES ago, as my dad died back in 1982.

However, i LOVE MMA. I think MMA makes a total fighter. I have seen EXCELLENT fights with awesome techniques. To me, they are much more skilled than a boxer.

Old 02-09-2010, 07:55 AM

1 posts, read 1,269 times
Look have any of you actually fought in mma or wrestling or boxing i can speak from experience that any mma fighter would beat the hell outta any boxer i boxed in my younger years and am a national champion and state champ folkstyle and freestyle grecko wrestler and now a mixed martial artist and let me tell you one thing its life or death not rolling around humping eachother some of you dont know what your taliking about wrestling and mma have saved my life many times in actuall LIFE or DEATH combat. I dont wanna talk about the details but it did .boxing had its hayday but now its crap this post seriously angered me get some real knowledge of it before you take a knock at it

USMC
Force Recon
1st Recon
M.A.R.S.O.C

Old 02-10-2010, 10:00 AM

3,006 posts, read 3,868,888 times
MMA would be way better if half the bouts were in the gi- I want to see more judo in it!

Old 02-10-2010, 10:14 PM

5,421 posts, read 6,500,690 times
Judo Roxors.

Old 02-11-2010, 11:26 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,322,046 times
k-1 >>> any mma organization now esp since pride is over

mma in the US is a joke now... i used to like watching japanese mma where there are actual mma skills in display.. grappling, judo, bjj, jiu jitsu, muay thai etc.. UFC and strikeforce and all these other organizations are garbage.

anybody can become an "mma fighter" now... its pathetic.. u had 78 year old herschel walker making his debut in strikeforce the other day.. professional debut.. this could never be done in boxing.. brock lesnar got a title shot after what, 2 fights?
put an amateur heavyweight in the ring with the champion in boxing.. or in any other weight class.. put an amateur with 2-3 fights experience in the ring with mosley, pacman, williams, mayweather.. they would get destroyed.
ufc/strikeforce/american mma orgs = trash
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)