U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 03:07 PM

12 posts, read 52,091 times
Okay, as far as right now goes at her age any form of Martial arts would be better than none at all. At the very least it will help develop confidnce, self control, and start the road for self defense. I would eventually get her into Muay Thai and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, for two reasons.

1. Women are not usually extremely strong, so having strong low leg kicks and knees are very helpful, not to mention how to use elbows.

2. Lets be honest we want our daughters and wives to be safe and if they are going to be attacked they are going to be grabbed for obvious reasons. Women don't tend to get sexually assaulted from 2 feet away, so knowing BJJ which focusus on leverage and angles rather than strenght is very important for a woman to know.

my 2 cents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2007, 05:27 AM

1,352 posts, read 4,335,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier_guy View Post
We've been thinking for quite awhile about getting our 8 year old daughter involved in Karate (for self defense purposes). Is Karate the right avenue to learn self-defense? Or is there another martial art that is better suited? We are not interested in competition or the religious aspects of the martial arts...just want our daughter to be able to protect herself. Thanks!

One thing is for sure......Don't take karate at the Y (YMCA) back in New Jersey because that kid in "Karate Kid" (the movie) got his face filled with sand at the beach from the Cobra Kai.....lol........and as MR. MYAGI says..."Rearn from book?......lol....don't learn it from a book either ....you must use the principles that the martial arts teaches to truly learn the art of defense.......you need to go to your maintenance office in your apartment complex and look for an old guy to teach your daughter......im tellin ya......trust me on this......lol

Old 08-10-2007, 05:37 AM

1,352 posts, read 4,335,210 times
if you find a dojo that doesnt believe a man is your enemy when he confronts you in the street ...or ......a dojo that says you should realize when you are defeated....or ......a dojo where the sensei is too much of a wuss to tell the students to sweep his opponents leg...........then get away from that place as fast as possible and find a school that has these values.......fear cannot exist in a real karate dojo as far as i am concerned

Old 08-10-2007, 07:46 AM

5,301 posts, read 11,479,116 times
My son has taken shotokan karate for 2 years now, he likes it a lot. I think it has benefitted him so he is more coordinated and it forces him to concentrate better. I originally put him in it because he is small for his age and I though karate could be good for him. And it is!

Great program as I could see it could be a lifelong activity, there are kids and adults in the same class. And they don't move you onto the next belt until you are ready which gives the child a sense of achievement.

Maybe you could take karate along with your child!

Old 08-10-2007, 10:14 AM

1,869 posts, read 3,955,639 times
Default Muay Thai and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

I agree 100% with badegg, Go with Muay Thai and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu no question those two styles combined are a great form of self defense. In real street situations karate isnt as effective as many think it is. When i first started BJJ a 14 year old girl was choking me and almost breaking my arm.

Good luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by BADEGG View Post
Okay, as far as right now goes at her age any form of Martial arts would be better than none at all. At the very least it will help develop confidnce, self control, and start the road for self defense. I would eventually get her into Muay Thai and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, for two reasons.

1. Women are not usually extremely strong, so having strong low leg kicks and knees are very helpful, not to mention how to use elbows.

2. Lets be honest we want our daughters and wives to be safe and if they are going to be attacked they are going to be grabbed for obvious reasons. Women don't tend to get sexually assaulted from 2 feet away, so knowing BJJ which focusus on leverage and angles rather than strenght is very important for a woman to know.

my 2 cents.

Old 08-13-2007, 03:04 PM

9,652 posts, read 7,099,146 times
All martial arts have their place. I know this isn't what you're looking for, but it's best to be well-rounded - able to use grappling skills as well as strikes and kicks. Many martial arts schools neglect the mental aspect of self-defense. Awareness is key, dealing with fear and adrenaline are important, as is getting over the reluctance to strike someone. If you want a place that teaches real self-defense, these would be other factors to consider.

Old 07-22-2011, 08:35 PM
JL

6,330 posts, read 6,567,361 times
Couldn't find a karate thread except this one. Anyone know the bald headed host of this show? The "Stone Cold" Steve Austin looking guy. I've seen him in several times on TV, but could never figure out his name. Interesting video.

‪Iron body‬‏ - YouTube

Old 07-24-2011, 05:47 AM

1,569 posts, read 992,257 times
Put here in Brazilian jujitsu classes. she'll get WAY more exercise and learn something that's actually effective. while the eastern arts we see in movies are cool to watch and do evolve lot's of discipline there not too effective if an actual self defense situation against someone a lot bigger than you once the get a hold of you. Brazilian jujitsu was actually created with that scenario in mind and is well suited for women fighting off a male attacker.

Old 07-25-2011, 11:40 AM

2,650 posts, read 1,767,080 times
Forget karate unless its full contact, and I don't think your daughter would thank you for putting her in a kyokushin karate class. Your best bet is judo (as its cheap and widely available!) and maybe some brazillian jujitsu to refine the ground techniques. Striking techs can be added later if she wishes, its easier to get a solid foundation in grappling first and she wont have to take any punches.

In my opinion the best combo for self defense is muay thai (i do a muay thai/boxing/savate hybrid) + judo + BJJ.

Either that or any combo of sumbission grappling and striking- just make sure its full contact.

Old 07-25-2011, 03:34 PM

5,581 posts, read 3,795,845 times
Ok you guys do realize this thread is like 4 yrs old right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)