Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 06:28 AM

7,912 posts, read 10,087,644 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by archineer View Post
Your right that guard pulling isn't allowed, but there are no techniques taught in kosen judo that aren't in the standard kodokan manual (or I have yet to see any.) Like I say randori is taught in a much looser way than what is allowed under competition rules- you can spend the whole lesson on newaza if you wish.
yes, there are no new techniques, no special tricks or what not. the whole point, the difference between kosen and kodakan is in the focus. kodakan judo puts most focus on the throw, grips and such, kosen judo has always focused on the ground game, what to do once you get there. kosen judo is much closer to BJJ then BJJ is to kodakan judo.

hell there are no new techniques in any martial art. everything has been done at some point in time. this is why i laugh when people say helio and carlos gracie "created" jiu jitsu or "created a new form of self defense" or what ever they claim from week to week. its funny, they claim GJJ was created to let a weaker person defeat a stronger person. that is the whole point of ALL martial arts for self defense. the whole point is to be able to defend yourself from anyone big or small. i mean who crated a self defense where a big guy can learn to defeat a tiny little guy. the gracies also claim they got all of their techniques from "grand master helio gracie" who "created them so that he could beat much larger men with his frail frame". then rolls gracie started using a triangle choke in the late 60's. where did he get this from? helio didnt teach it to him..... oh yes, he learned it in an old judo book only it was called sankaku-jime not a triangle choke.

im in a gracie bashing mood today, i didnt sleep much last night for some reason so lets bash the gracies! lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2011, 05:58 AM

3,006 posts, read 3,870,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
yes, there are no new techniques, no special tricks or what not. the whole point, the difference between kosen and kodakan is in the focus. kodakan judo puts most focus on the throw, grips and such, kosen judo has always focused on the ground game, what to do once you get there. kosen judo is much closer to BJJ then BJJ is to kodakan judo.

hell there are no new techniques in any martial art. everything has been done at some point in time. this is why i laugh when people say helio and carlos gracie "created" jiu jitsu or "created a new form of self defense" or what ever they claim from week to week. its funny, they claim GJJ was created to let a weaker person defeat a stronger person. that is the whole point of ALL martial arts for self defense. the whole point is to be able to defend yourself from anyone big or small. i mean who crated a self defense where a big guy can learn to defeat a tiny little guy. the gracies also claim they got all of their techniques from "grand master helio gracie" who "created them so that he could beat much larger men with his frail frame". then rolls gracie started using a triangle choke in the late 60's. where did he get this from? helio didnt teach it to him..... oh yes, he learned it in an old judo book only it was called sankaku-jime not a triangle choke.

im in a gracie bashing mood today, i didnt sleep much last night for some reason so lets bash the gracies! lol
Exactly, thats more or less what I said first time! Except kodokan judo is more balanced, depending on where you train I suppose. Maybe my first post doesn't read too well.

anyway, yeah the gracies didn't invent **** - they've standardised the guard techniques and put more emphasis on positioning/setups/transitions but thats about it. I'd argue they've actually dilluted judo by eliminating almost all of the throws. This isn't to say they've done us a great service in helping preserve newaza, but they don't half talk some bull.

Last edited by archineer; 08-17-2011 at 06:15 AM..

Old 08-17-2011, 06:02 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,196,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post
We've been thinking for quite awhile about getting our 8 year old daughter involved in Karate (for self defense purposes). Is Karate the right avenue to learn self-defense? Or is there another martial art that is better suited? We are not interested in competition or the religious aspects of the martial arts...just want our daughter to be able to protect herself. Thanks!

Jujitsu combines karate and judo. You have smash and crash and throws and holds. Jujitsu.

Old 08-17-2011, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Jujitsu combines karate and judo. You have smash and crash and throws and holds. Jujitsu.
You mean sports jujitsu? Its ok but a bit mma lite for me. The sparrings only semi contact and there are far too many high kicks, though the use of gi is something I like. I really wish Gi based mma was more common.

Standard Japanese jitz is about as useful as aikido otherwise.

Old 08-24-2011, 08:50 AM

This is the judo I was taught btw - except with more pickups, and its what I still teach:

Neil Adams (GBR) vs Jiro Kase (JPN) [-78kg] - YouTube

Last edited by archineer; 08-24-2011 at 08:59 AM..

Old 08-27-2011, 09:46 AM

1,355 posts, read 1,921,400 times
For a girl, i agree with other posters on Muay Thai and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu.

For a martial artist, i would train for 2 to 3 years on a discipline and move to another. This is what i am planning on doing once i get my finances in order. The main discipline would be as followed:
  1. Boxing
  2. Brazilian Jiu Jitsu
  3. Muay Thai
  4. Judo
I would compliment them with a physical training program seperate of the martial art. Also, sparring has to be a big part of the class. I live in NYC so this is extremely difficult to accomplish.

Old 08-29-2011, 01:11 AM

7,530 posts, read 11,365,273 times
Quote:
We've been thinking for quite awhile about getting our 8 year old daughter involved in Karate (for self defense purposes). Is Karate the right avenue to learn self-defense? Or is there another martial art that is better suited?
I'd recommend your daughter get familiar with a grappling oriented style first such as BJJ or a stand up style of Jiu Jitsu or Judo. Those styles can teach her how to handle stronger attackers who will apply grabs and holds to her if she's attacked. These grappling styles are good at teaching submissions and escapes. These are techniques I think are better for weaker people(both men and women) rather than relying on striking it out with bigger,stronger opponents. A stronger attacker will naturally won't to grab and manhandle someone smaller with bear hugs,headlocks and mounting them. Which styles teach the best escapes for these situations?

Old 10-12-2012, 04:31 PM

8,320 posts, read 13,450,418 times
Learn and practice authentic Judo/Aikido and Muay Thai and you are all set.
The rest is stamina, strength and speed training aka conditioning the body.

Old 10-13-2012, 10:32 AM

1,949 posts, read 5,262,710 times
Quote:
We've been thinking for quite awhile about getting our 8 year old daughter involved in Karate (for self defense purposes). Is Karate the right avenue to learn self-defense? Or is there another martial art that is better suited? We are not interested in competition or the religious aspects of the martial arts...just want our daughter to be able to protect herself. Thanks!
is Karate the right way to go? in a word: No. best advise from this Law Enforcement Use of Force Instructor: let/encourage/make her join the wrestling team when it becomes available (Middle/High School) Wrestling: body awareness (self and opponent), balance, base, positional intuition, athleticism, instinctual (muscle memory) reactions.

and/or/in the meantime: boxing or kick boxing: learn to throw punches, kicks, elbows, and knees not like a girl.

these are, i believe, your best options for cultivating an ability to defend herself when she reaches adult size and in the meantime against bullies or whatever her own age. unfortunately, there probably isnt a whole lot you can do to make an 8 year old able to fight off a grown man - like a would-be abductor, probably.

fwiw, in the world of fighting, WRESTING, BOXING/KICKBOXING, and BRAZILIAN JIU-JITSU are the three primary martial arts. those are the ones that work. those are the ones that generally don't require somebody to "attack you right."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)