Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 04:44 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,789,009 times

Advertisements

I like the UFC a lot, but after the last couple of pay-per-views it seems to become more and more like ordering a wrestling pay-per-view because there is no meaning behind some of the fights...just a month or 2 of a build up if any....What I wish we could see is for the UFC to do it like a football season type of deal where Once a year the best fighters from all pay-per-view events throughout the year get to be in the Mega event like a UFC version of WrestleMania. The whole year fighters records would determine if they have a chance to fight for the title at the tournament Mega event. Of coarse throughout the year there can be title matches with the top ranked fighters in the world going at it, but anyone will have a chance at the title in the tournament that comes once a year all you need to do is have one of the top 8 best records to get in.

What do you think?....or is there anything else that you think UFC should do to become better?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2010, 05:30 PM

7,912 posts, read 10,088,668 times
i dont like it, the main event would be littered with half arse fights due to injury or filled with "alternates" due to injury. most of the fighters fight 1-2 maybe 3 fights a year depending on injury.

the "unified rules of mma" will not allow for an open weight so it would have to be a division tourney and it would end up similar to the dream tourneys or former pride tourneys. both of which have guys fall out of almost every show.

Old 04-20-2010, 06:58 PM

1,634 posts, read 6,718,934 times
The sport's still growing. I agree with the PPV point. Even the UFC, with all the best fighters, still doesn't have enough. Bellator has the tourny thing going, I don't think the UFC needs it. Personally, I'd be satisfied with more free fights. Some of these PPV's aren't PPV worthy, and that's where they need to put it on Spike or VS. for free.

Old 04-20-2010, 07:18 PM

i agree, or at least come off the PPV cost some. but then its not as pricey as boxing on the ppv cost most of the time. you know mayweather has to get paid to counter punch and run. wait isnt that silva/machida's style.

Old 04-21-2010, 11:49 PM

What about a season for the UFC where the best records face of at the end of the year in a tournament that lasts 3 months. they can have the top 8 fighters fight at pay-per-views in those 3 months to see who's best

Old 04-22-2010, 06:26 AM

best records? so lesnar doesnt fight because he only has 5 fights? randy is out because his record isnt real great. so it would be a GSP, silva, machida, evans, edgar, tournament?

the system they have needs some tweaking but i think your taking it a little to WWE.

Old 04-23-2010, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
best records? so lesnar doesnt fight because he only has 5 fights? randy is out because his record isnt real great. so it would be a GSP, silva, machida, evans, edgar, tournament?

the system they have needs some tweaking but i think your taking it a little to WWE.
I hear ya. what tweaks would you say would make it better?

Old 04-23-2010, 06:20 AM

i am a big fan of same day weigh ins. i hate guys like GSP dropping from 190+ lbs to 170 then fighting at 190 lbs again. IMO if your class is 170 then you should be very close to 170 at fight time.

i also dont like elbows i like the japanese rules of no elbows but allowing knees on the ground. all elbows do is open up cuts and make things bloody and wet. knees dont cut you open but they will KO you.

Old 04-23-2010, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
i am a big fan of same day weigh ins. i hate guys like GSP dropping from 190+ lbs to 170 then fighting at 190 lbs again. IMO if your class is 170 then you should be very close to 170 at fight time.

i also dont like elbows i like the japanese rules of no elbows but allowing knees on the ground. all elbows do is open up cuts and make things bloody and wet. knees dont cut you open but they will KO you.

This is a little off subject, but all this talk of knees and elbows got me thinking of other strikes. Remember Jake Shields last weekend, and how he had a full mount on Henderson and all Henderson could do is hope to duck shots on his back? Well I know lots of wannabee fighters that go to bars and sh#@ who would try to full mount someone and bully them because they think they're just like UFC and pro mma fighters. Well I hope anyone who plans on full mounting knows how to protect from punches to the nads, and getting their eyes pushed through their sockets like Screwface in Marked for Death...lol

Old 04-23-2010, 09:42 AM

2,191 posts, read 4,806,963 times
Simple solution. Don't buy every pay per view but instead just purchase the ones that are going to have great fights or some background story. You don't have to wait long, I promise. UFC 114 has great background story with Rashad Evans vs. Rampage Jackson and several other great fighters on the card. Also UFC 116, I believe, will have Lesnar vs. Carwin and I bet a few other good fighters although, that fight will sell the entire card to well over a million buys as its Lesnar's return plus the heavyweight belt. In August Silva will be fighting Chael Sonnen. It should be interesting, hopefully, and the storyline is already writing itself out for that fight. Check out some of Sonnen's interviews for absolute hilarious one liners. I would also hope to see Vitor Belfort get a shot...maybe by year's end?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)