Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 09:51 AM

1,895 posts, read 3,414,676 times

Advertisements

I'm so excited for this Event I could literally pee my pants!!

I'm only highlighting a few fights...but, i'm sure the rest of the card will be enjoyable.

MW Championship Fight

Anderson Silva (Champ) vs. Demian Maia
-as good as Maia is at jits, i have to believe Silva will be able to KO/TKO him no later than the 3rd Round.

LW Championship Fight

BJ Penn (Champ) vs. Frankie Edgar
-i predict Penn wins by whatever he chooses, can't see this going the distance.

WW Legends Fight *i named the fight myself

Matt Hughes vs. Renzo Gracie
-like Sakuraba, Hughes with a win, could be labeled "The Gracie Killer"...although, i'm heavily rooting for Renzo in this one!!

what's your thoughts??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2010, 10:37 AM

284 posts, read 985,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugerjitsu View Post

I'm only highlighting a few fights...but, i'm sure the rest of the card will be enjoyable.

MW Championship Fight

-as good as Maia is at jits, i have to believe Silva will be able to KO/TKO him no later than the 3rd Round.

LW Championship Fight

-like Sakuraba, Hughes with a win, could be labeled "The Gracie Killer"...although, i'm heavily rooting for Renzo in this one!!

what's your thoughts??
Winners....
Silva KO/TKO Rd 1
Penn RNC Rd 2
Hughes TKO Rd 1

Maia will be too aggressive on his takedowns and will eat some leather or a knee from Silva

Edgar will try to take Penn down once he feels Penns power is his punches and end up get choke out just like KenFlo did

Huges wants to make a statement and he feels he still has something left in the tank and will have his way with Gracie

Old 04-06-2010, 11:42 AM

1,634 posts, read 6,716,704 times
Can't wait. I think Matt Hughes is an a$$, but for some reason I root for him. Renzo seems like a genuinely cool though. I saw in an interview where an old couple wanted to take a picture with Matt Hughes and he refused. This same couple told Renzo about it and told him to teach Hughes a lesson. Renzo said that if a million people stood in line to see him, he'd take a picture with every single one of them.

I don't want to see Penn go to 170 after this fight. I like to see champions with staying power. I don't like musical chair champions, like we saw with the 205's. That just got stupid, especially considering that Machida should have lost too. And I see that with the 155'ers if he leaves.

Old 04-06-2010, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA central coast View Post
Can't wait. I think Matt Hughes is an a$$, but for some reason I root for him. Renzo seems like a genuinely cool though. I saw in an interview where an old couple wanted to take a picture with Matt Hughes and he refused. This same couple told Renzo about it and told him to teach Hughes a lesson. Renzo said that if a million people stood in line to see him, he'd take a picture with every single one of them.

I don't want to see Penn go to 170 after this fight. I like to see champions with staying power. I don't like musical chair champions, like we saw with the 205's. That just got stupid, especially considering that Machida should have lost too. And I see that with the 155'ers if he leaves.

sooo, what's your picks??

looks like you got Hughes and Penn, right? what about Silva vs Maia??

Old 04-06-2010, 01:51 PM

7,912 posts, read 10,082,871 times
Quote:

MW Championship Fight

LW Championship Fight

what's your thoughts??
silva will either KO him much like ante the great did, or he will pound on him and then submit him to prove his dominance. maia is great on teh ground but silva is way way way under rated on the ground.

i agree BJ by what ever he wants but i prefer to think he will win by HAWAIIAN PUNCH

here is where we differ, renzo has had GSP in training so you know he picked his brain and will sub matt. hughes time is over. renzo isnt an old man stuck in the 90's like royce was, renzo is THE mma pioneer of the gracie family since about 1995 or so.

onkly way highes beat him is by gnp and renzo has a better mma ground game then 90% of all fighter in his weight class IMO.

Old 04-06-2010, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
here is where we differ, renzo has had GSP in training so you know he picked his brain and will sub matt. hughes time is over. renzo isnt an old man stuck in the 90's like royce was, renzo is THE mma pioneer of the gracie family since about 1995 or so.

onkly way highes beat him is by gnp and renzo has a better mma ground game then 90% of all fighter in his weight class IMO.
as much as i LOVE watching BJ fight, i'm almost more excited to see this fight between Renzo and Matt...

Matt's got TONS on the line...a loss could potentially end his career, and what a way to go!

Renzo, you gotta believe deep in his mind, is wanting to avenge his brother's loss years ago...I completely agree with Renzo's MMA skill over Royce's. He's going to be so FIRED up! he truly wears his heart on his sleeve, and it will no doubt be a show!

Old 04-06-2010, 04:22 PM

284 posts, read 985,379 times
Quote:
as much as i LOVE watching BJ fight, i'm almost more excited to see this fight between Renzo and Matt...

Matt's got TONS on the line...a loss could potentially end his career, and what a way to go!

Renzo, you gotta believe deep in his mind, is wanting to avenge his brother's loss years ago...I completely agree with Renzo's MMA skill over Royce's. He's going to be so FIRED up! he truly wears his heart on his sleeve, and it will no doubt be a show!
If Matt loses then who else could he fight without making himself look stupid ? Another UFC fighter fighting well past his prime , add Hughes to the Tito , Liddell , Serra , Mir club . I can see these guys fighting for the love of the sport but to think any of these guys fighting for a title shot is unreal .

Old 04-06-2010, 04:40 PM

7,912 posts, read 10,082,871 times
Quote:

only correction i have to make, other wise i completely agree

Renzo Gracie is a Gracie Barra Black Belt under Carlos Gracie Jr. and a member of the Gracie family from Brazil. He is the son of Robson Gracie, grandson of Carlos Gracie, nephew and 6th degree black belt[1] of Carlos Gracie, Jr. and grandnephew of Helio Gracie.

Old 04-07-2010, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
only correction i have to make, other wise i completely agree

Renzo Gracie is a Gracie Barra Black Belt under Carlos Gracie Jr. and a member of the Gracie family from Brazil. He is the son of Robson Gracie, grandson of Carlos Gracie, nephew and 6th degree black belt[1] of Carlos Gracie, Jr. and grandnephew of Helio Gracie.
oh man! i thought he was a brother of Royce Gracie...

Old 04-07-2010, 08:32 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,492,357 times
I think Maia has learned from the Nate Marquardt fight not to rush in and surely he won't be doing that against Silva. I think he will take it to the ground, but Silva will still win.

I also think the Penn/Edgar fight will be much more competitive than others, Edgar has a good boxer/wrestler combination.

I just want Renzo to beat Matt, otherwise I wouldn't really care about the match.

Silva TKO 4th
Penn Un Decision.
Renzo RNC 3rd
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)