Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 03:54 PM

573 posts, read 2,058,284 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
lifertexan, here is a prime example of a modern day boxer in an mma fight.

botha is a WORLD HEAVY WEIGHT BOXING CHAMPION and weighed in about 100 lbs heavier then his opponent in this fight.

YouTube - Yoshihiro Akiyama vs. Francois Botha

you already showed me this video before, there is nothing to it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2010, 03:59 PM

573 posts, read 2,058,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expect View Post
mma implies you'll be using multiple martial arts

otherwise they should call it optional martial arts. or in matt hugh's case, wrestling and punching arts.

I guess it doesn't take that much in MMA then, Dana White said that you MUST be good in all disciplines, from what you said, you don't even have to be good in any discipline, just as long as you use them, you can be terrible in all disciplines and still be in the UFC, this is what I've seen from many fighters there, why are they there in the first place? Can someone explain why is kimbo slice the bum in the ufc? A lot of these guys in the UFC, it's like they find these guys off the streets or something. In pro boxing, you MUST be better than average or good, you must possess superior boxing skills to make it in that sport, in mma, you can be terrible in all disciplines and make it to ultimate fighter show and then ufc organization, wow big accomplishment

Old 04-14-2010, 04:21 PM

7,912 posts, read 10,082,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypnosis View Post
1) i did not post this in address to you, maybe your reading comprehension is worse then you mma knowledge.

2) your right, there is nothing to it, or i should reword that, there was nothing to it for akiyama to DESTROY the world heavyweight boxing champ.

Old 04-14-2010, 09:14 PM

1,558 posts, read 2,597,435 times
Quote:

botha is a WORLD HEAVY WEIGHT BOXING CHAMPION and weighed in about 100 lbs heavier then his opponent in this fight.

thx for the vid!

Old 04-19-2010, 10:50 AM

3,006 posts, read 3,869,127 times
Quote:

Nice vid!

Old 04-19-2010, 11:02 AM

1,883 posts, read 3,001,789 times
Quote:
There's nothing to an MMA guy beating the snot out of a champion boxer?How so?

For the record,Botha was a WORLD CHAMPION boxer.In MMA his record is 4-12.That's 4 wins,12 losses.So he is good enough to win world championships in boxing but isn't even a middle card fighter in MMA.

Old 04-19-2010, 12:46 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,492,357 times
Quote:
Yes there is, but it is lost on you.

Just think Akiyama is not even a top 10 MW in MMA and killed a boxing champ.

BTW Demian Maia is an ELITE bjj guy, and look he will not be champion until he can develop some striking. So you DO have to be good at all the disciplines to be a champion in MMA. Even Anderson Silva and Machida have highly underrated ground games.

Last edited by Mach50; 04-19-2010 at 01:07 PM..

Old 04-19-2010, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifertexan View Post
There's nothing to an MMA guy beating the snot out of a champion boxer?How so?

For the record,Botha was a WORLD CHAMPION boxer.In MMA his record is 4-12.That's 4 wins,12 losses.So he is good enough to win world championships in boxing but isn't even a middle card fighter in MMA.
oh yeah i forgot he got KOed by holyfield in february.

he is actually 0-1 in mma and 4-12 in K-1. by the way, one of those wins in K-1 was due to his opponent breaking his tibia while kicking botha but for the record, points wise aerts was winning the fight with botha only throwing one solid punch.

Old 04-19-2010, 04:25 PM

1,883 posts, read 3,001,789 times
Quote:
oh yeah i forgot he got KOed by holyfield in february.

he is actually 0-1 in mma and 4-12 in K-1. by the way, one of those wins in K-1 was due to his opponent breaking his tibia while kicking botha but for the record, points wise aerts was winning the fight with botha only throwing one solid punch.
True.I mistakenly credited the whoop*sses he received in K1 as MMA.The site I was looking at had it broke down boxing/non boxing.He stands even less of a chance in MMA where they can take him to the ground as opposed to K1 at least being all standup.

Old 04-19-2010, 04:42 PM

it is funny there are a ton of people who think that james toney is going to be the man in MMA because he was/is a boxing champ. he has apparently asked to fight either chuck liddell, kimbo slice or brock lesnar. talk about a mixed bag. i believe he would beat chuck fairly easily, kimbo might just put up a fight and actually try to take it to the ground like he did with houston alexander, but he has less then zero, thats right NEGATIVE chance of beating brock lesnar. my guess is he doesnt even get anything more then a glancing blow as the blur that would be lesnar puts his out of shape ass on his back and precedes to hit him short weak hammer fists until he turns over and gets pounded on like brock did to mir.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)