U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 08:12 AM

504 posts, read 374,365 times

Advertisements

First of all I think it is BS that they are protecting GSP (luv the guy) but D. White pushed BJ Penn up to fight both Hughes and GSP. GSP has been dominating and boring for a while. Why no push for him to move to middleweight to fight Silva------Why cause GSP is a pretty face of the UFC and he would get smashed.

2nd Anderson Silva has no competiton at middleweight but its ok for him to get pushed to 205 and fight one of the BIGGER & TOUGHER 205lbers and win easily. Dana white does not want the Light heavyweight division discredited and Silva showed just how easy it would be. Griffin has given all 205lbers hell but Silva swatted him like a fly.

3rdly Silva asked to fight at heavy-weight but Dana White nixed that quickly if by chance Silva who has superior striking avoids the takedowns and bull rushes of the bigger guys he will easily win at Heavy no one has the hands to counter him. This would be three divisions that Silva potentially discredits and makes it look easy.

Silva pissed me off and mailed it in this last PPV but the guy is bored, and D. White doesnt want to risk any of the more marketable names. If Silva could speak english and had a Terrel Owens personality and mouth he would easily be the highest paid "Heel" in the UFC. His lack of english is a negative in terms of marketing.

Anyone else have an opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2010, 08:58 AM

1,897 posts, read 2,795,207 times
i can't really argue with what you've said...

i know this...out of Penn, GSP, and Silva...it seems like Penn is more willing to push himself to the next level of competition, and become complacent with status quo...i think his lackluster performance may have been a result of becoming complacent and not "getting up" for his opponent, frankie edgar. it seems Penn needs a "wake up" call every now and then.

GSP, i agree 100%...he's 28 yrs old, and is raping WW's left and right. he needs to be in MW if he wants to give the majority of MMA fans what they're wanting...

Silva, man i'm getting tired head even thinking about this guy...i don't want to watch him at MW again....unless he's fighting GSP.

Old 04-13-2010, 11:17 AM

7,912 posts, read 7,657,327 times
i dont fully agree, dana doesnt push bj to the WW div, bj BEGS to go there because he wants the challenge. you know outside of the ufc, bj has faced guys all the way to heavy. he took machida to a decision. i am quickly losing respect for silva and there are some fighters who say he does speak english but doesnt like americans or the media so he chooses not to (sonnen is one of those fighters). the forest fight had shades of a work or silva is super human one or the other. NOBODY has hit forest hard enough to knock him down and out with a single punch and yet silva does it from his hip? something just isnt right with hat fight.

silva also has NO CHANCE at heavy, think about all of the good wrestlers in the heavy weight division. i mean can you see him facing a 265 lb mir, or 290-300 lb lesnar, or a 280 lb carwin? the only heavy i see him having much of a chance with is cain valasquez as he has shown to have a soft chin. he recovers well but he doesnt take well to getting hit in the face.

as for gsp moving up, that is purely his choice, IMO he is scared not dana. i think gsp knows he cant handle a guy like silva or vitor, nate the great, sonnen, or even franklin. gsp is kind of stuck, he is to big to drop to 155, and is scared to go up to 185. he has pretty much cleaned out the 170 division for now. i mean the guy walks around at 190-195 lbs, he could easily make 185 and might do well.

on the other hand silva has asked to drop to 170, which is NUTS! i mean thats a 50+lb cut from his walking weight. dana talked about how 185 was to much of a cut for james irvin, and how he looked like the walking dead at the weigh ins, and silva is already pretty thin at 185, he would look like an ethiopian marathon runner crossing the finish like at the olympics.

Old 04-13-2010, 11:23 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,433,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
i dont fully agree, dana doesnt push bj to the WW div, bj BEGS to go there because he wants the challenge. you know outside of the ufc, bj has faced guys all the way to heavy. he took machida to a decision. i am quickly losing respect for silva and there are some fighters who say he does speak english but doesnt like americans or the media so he chooses not to (sonnen is one of those fighters). the forest fight had shades of a work or silva is super human one or the other. NOBODY has hit forest hard enough to knock him down and out with a single punch and yet silva does it from his hip? something just isnt right with hat fight.

silva also has NO CHANCE at heavy, think about all of the good wrestlers in the heavy weight division. i mean can you see him facing a 265 lb mir, or 290-300 lb lesnar, or a 280 lb carwin? the only heavy i see him having much of a chance with is cain valasquez as he has shown to have a soft chin. he recovers well but he doesnt take well to getting hit in the face.

as for gsp moving up, that is purely his choice, IMO he is scared not dana. i think gsp knows he cant handle a guy like silva or vitor, nate the great, sonnen, or even franklin. gsp is kind of stuck, he is to big to drop to 155, and is scared to go up to 185. he has pretty much cleaned out the 170 division for now. i mean the guy walks around at 190-195 lbs, he could easily make 185 and might do well.

As for AS,I wonder if DW won't target him now.This is 2 fights that AS has PO'd White badly,and he wouldn't even put the belt around AS.He needs to put AS in against FG again,Tito,etc.In the upper class of LHW there will be someone who can handle Silva.

on the other hand silva has asked to drop to 170, which is NUTS! i mean thats a 50+lb cut from his walking weight. dana talked about how 185 was to much of a cut for james irvin, and how he looked like the walking dead at the weigh ins, and silva is already pretty thin at 185, he would look like an ethiopian marathon runner crossing the finish like at the olympics.
I agree with the Silva/FG fight.Forrest got hit by Rampage,spent an entire fight taking shots from Bonnar,Tito tagged him some,and then Silva floors him with a retreating Jab?BS.Maybe FG was sick and didn't tell anyone,or maybe the punch had some kind of nerve effect,but it sure looked hokey.

Old 04-13-2010, 02:38 PM

573 posts, read 1,590,423 times
Forrest Griffin is a joke, that guy should retire. Silva should not go to heavyweight. Who cares what language he talks, he is undisputed champion in UFC, nobody can beat him in middleweight. He fights the way he feels like fighting, Damian Maia shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence with him.

Old 04-13-2010, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypnosis the MMA Troll View Post
Forrest Griffin is a joke, that guy should retire. Silva should not go to heavyweight. Who cares what language he talks, he is undisputed champion in UFC, nobody can beat him in middleweight. He fights the way he feels like fighting, Damian Maia shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence with him.

fixed!

Old 04-13-2010, 09:47 PM

504 posts, read 374,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post

You see thats the thing about Silva at heavy---he will be challenged!!!
We will all sit in front of the TV expecting him to lose but knowing he just might pull it out.

Also you speak of those big powerful wrestlers. They have to track Silva down first my friend and Silvas footwork is impeccable. To get to Silva they are gonna have to take one-three good shots before corraling him. Thats where the mystery of it all kicks in for me---Thats something I would love to see. Could you see Frank Mir and his feeble stand-up working against Silva, Is Mir fast enough to shoot and take Silva down. and most importantly what HEAVEY WEIGHT HAS THE CARDIO to stand with Silva if they cant take him down. Think Roy Jones VS John Ruiz. Speed kills the power may not be killer but theres enough power there to make em pay if they are wreckless with the shoot..... I want to see it Mir Vs Silva.

Old 04-14-2010, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KILLA-P View Post
We will all sit in front of the TV expecting him to lose but knowing he just might pull it out.

Also you speak of those big powerful wrestlers. They have to track Silva down first my friend and Silvas footwork is impeccable. To get to Silva they are gonna have to take one-three good shots before corraling him. Thats where the mystery of it all kicks in for me---Thats something I would love to see. Could you see Frank Mir and his feeble stand-up working against Silva, Is Mir fast enough to shoot and take Silva down. and most importantly what HEAVEY WEIGHT HAS THE CARDIO to stand with Silva if they cant take him down. Think Roy Jones VS John Ruiz. Speed kills the power may not be killer but theres enough power there to make em pay if they are wreckless with the shoot..... I want to see it Mir Vs Silva.
i'll cosign this with a small downpayment...HW would be a stretch, i would love to see him make a move in LHW, and grab the belt if he's able to...

one more thing though...silva is getting up there in his career, may not be too old, but like a kobe bryant, he's got alot of wear and tear...with that being said, i don't see him making any move to HW, unless he skips LHW, which i don't see happening...

at any rate, i still hold strong in my opinion of not wanting to see him at 185 ever again...ever ever again.

Old 04-14-2010, 06:13 AM

7,912 posts, read 7,657,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KILLA-P View Post

so your saying silva is just gonna run around in a circle all night and not get caught? see he has yet to really be challenged by a wrestler, a guy who can take him down. maia is not a wrestler and his bjj takedowns dont work the same way as a wresters does. in bjj much like judo (they are originally the same thing) the takedowns require a set up or finesse.

as for mir/silva, frank mir may not be as "technical" in his striking but he is no slouch. i mean he put konga (just a striker) on his ass with a single combo, and he knocked out big nog who had at that time never been KOed by anyone and he faced fedor more then once.

the think is silva may have the cardio to go 3-5 rounds with a heavy but only if he runs away the whole fight (kinda like he did maia in 3,4,and 5)except he is not going to damage the heavy weights like he does the other guys, for the simple fact they got more meat on their heads.

you put anderson in with a lesnar type or carwin type who is quick and strong and meatheaded and he has absolutely no shot. its not about "challenging" silva at that point, its about anderson getting DESTROYED!

Old 04-14-2010, 05:23 PM

1,483 posts, read 2,764,139 times
I have no problems with Silva messing around because that happens all time in sports. But, for me to follow him seriously, i.e. PPV purchases, he had better ante up on the competition. Otherwise, he will start to lose business. He is super confident, bored and destroying competition. Pretty soon, training will not be up to par and he will get smoked. Someone will eventually catch up to him. He is getting set up for an upset.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)