Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 11:41 AM

1,634 posts, read 6,718,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSone View Post
The problem with MMA is when 2 great grapplers match up (ie. Renzo Gracie vs. Matt Hughes), they cancel each other out on the ground so they keep getting stood up by the ref..... so we get to see 2 crappy standup fighters go at it.

I love training in MMA but I'm not a big fan of watching it when it's mostly on the ground.

There's no denying that Boxing is much more popular as a spectator's sport. You can't argue the $40,000,000 boxing match vs. the measely $200,000 MMA ones. And it's much more difficult to break into boxing and being a contender vs. MMA.
I've lost touch with boxing.

You do have a point. I think I read somewhere that Jack Johnson was paid 200K for a fight once, if I'm not mistaken. How long ago was that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2010, 02:29 PM

7,912 posts, read 10,087,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSone View Post
The problem with MMA is when 2 great grapplers match up (ie. Renzo Gracie vs. Matt Hughes), they cancel each other out on the ground so they keep getting stood up by the ref..... so we get to see 2 crappy standup fighters go at it.

I love training in MMA but I'm not a big fan of watching it when it's mostly on the ground.

There's no denying that Boxing is much more popular as a spectator's sport. You can't argue the $40,000,000 boxing match vs. the measely $200,000 MMA ones. And it's much more difficult to break into boxing and being a contender vs. MMA.
You are the 1st person I have heard of who "trains mma" who doesn't like to watch the ground game. I mean why not watch boxing then? Or k1?

The 40 mil boxing payouts are all but gone. How many boxers make that kind of money? How many boxers only make $20000 a whole lot. How many make even less.

Bottom line it is going to take decades for mma to get to those numbers. Mma is a baby and boxing is an old man, one has it's whole life ahead and one still has "the good ol days" to look back on.

Old 05-28-2010, 08:17 PM

390 posts, read 506,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
You are the 1st person I have heard of who "trains mma" who doesn't like to watch the ground game. I mean why not watch boxing then? Or k1?
It's b/c I lean more towards standup fighting for my game. I do enjoy the technical aspect of grappling only (ie. BJJ tournaments) to learn/observe what works well (especially No Gi ones). However with MMA, there's punching on the ground so it eliminates much of these technical moves...since they're too risky and you'll get GnP'ed. I'm not complaining though b/c it's real life. Still, I'm not too interested in watching too much grappling right now....maybe I've seen too many MMA fights already.

In an MMA fight, there's lots of grappling techniques, but not nearly as much as a BJJ only tourney...ie, you don't see the 50/50 guard, X-Guard, etc...b/c they will get you GnP'ed to a pulp.

Yea, I'd much rather watch K-1 and right now, boxing b/c I'm working hard on my boxing skills.

Quote:
The 40 mil boxing payouts are all but gone. How many boxers make that kind of money? How many boxers only make $20000 a whole lot. How many make even less.
They still make in the tens of millions. There are more pro boxers starving b/c the pool of fighters is enormous for boxing vs. MMA. However, it takes a lot more talent to be a contender in boxing than MMA due to the number of boxers & talent. $20,000 would a huge amount for an MMA fighter. The UFC only pays a few thousands for the undercards. The average MMA fighter would be full of joy if he could make $20k just one time in one fight.

Another reason is that MMA gyms charges like 10x more too.

Quote:
Bottom line it is going to take decades for mma to get to those numbers. Mma is a baby and boxing is an old man, one has it's whole life ahead and one still has "the good ol days" to look back on.
Maybe. Because Kickboxing, Muay Thai, etc... have been around for ages and can't even come close to Boxing in terms of bringing in the big bucks. Personally, I don't think MMA will get this same level of spectators b/c of what I pointed out with the Renzo vs. Hughes fight... another problem is when the fighters lock in a stalemate on the ground. It happens a lot. The ref stands them up but then they do it over again. And watching someone punching & being punched while both are on the ground is just boring compared to 2 boxers bobbing, weaving, throwing combos, etc.

What would help MMA is that they bring back the head butts and knee to the head of a downed opponent. Grapplers have a huge advantage in that they don't have to worry about knees to the head while shooting in. It will be 10's of years before this happens though.

Last edited by LSone; 05-28-2010 at 08:29 PM..

Old 05-29-2010, 10:40 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,197,191 times
Definitely different types of ground game, if you have two grapplers who are very active and technically proficient it's usually a far more enjoyable chess match than striking.

Old 05-29-2010, 10:41 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
I like the striking in MMA, but the floor stuff gets boring (and frankly looks pretty gross) once they get into the wrestling.

Old 05-31-2010, 05:56 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,323,433 times
there isnt a fighter in mma as skilled in whatever martial art as Floyd Mayweather is skilled at boxing

fact

Old 05-31-2010, 07:35 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,197,191 times
That would be an opinion, not a fact. There are guys in MMA who have been Olympic contenders in wrestling just as Mayweather was in boxing, and top ranked jujitsu practitioners and grapplers.

Those aren't as high profile as boxing, especially in the US, but it doesn't diminish the possibility any of them are as skilled at their sport as Mayweather is a boxer.

Old 06-01-2010, 08:06 AM

7,912 posts, read 10,087,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
That would be an opinion, not a fact. There are guys in MMA who have been Olympic contenders in wrestling just as Mayweather was in boxing, and top ranked jujitsu practitioners and grapplers.

Those aren't as high profile as boxing, especially in the US, but it doesn't diminish the possibility any of them are as skilled at their sport as Mayweather is a boxer.
Exactly,
Royce, rickson, royler, renzo, Roger, and most recently ralek Gracie are all as skilled or moreso in Gracie/Brazilian Jiu Jitsu then motormouth is.

Old 06-10-2010, 04:11 PM

96 posts, read 363,535 times
oooh! what you ignorant people are missing out on, just WATCH and LEARN

YouTube - HBO Boxing: Fights of the Decade - Barrera vs. Morales III (HBO)

YouTube - HBO Boxing: Fights of the Decade - Ward vs. Gatti I (HBO)

i enjoy watching MMA, I've been following it since 98, but i have never seen a MMA fight as exiting as Boxing

Old 06-11-2010, 06:57 AM

1,895 posts, read 3,415,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VX-Nefarious View Post
oooh! what you ignorant people are missing out on, just WATCH and LEARN

YouTube - HBO Boxing: Fights of the Decade - Barrera vs. Morales III (HBO)

YouTube - HBO Boxing: Fights of the Decade - Ward vs. Gatti I (HBO)

i enjoy watching MMA, I've been following it since 98, but i have never seen a MMA fight as exiting as Boxing
i wouldn't dare argue that the above posted fights were NOT exciting, sure, there's going to be exciting boxing matches here and there...

but, i will argue calling people "ignorant" that would prefer MMA over Boxing...

and it's a very simple arguement...Boxing is one deminsional, where MMA is multi-deminsional...requiring the mastering of both striking and grappling to ensure greatness...

by calling a group of people ignorant, then posting TWO exciting boxing matches, only shows the shortside of your intelligence...

btw, for every "exciting" boxing match you can post up, i'm betting there's double those in MMA matches...and i could start in the 90's, where i'm sure you'll have to dip clear back to the 70's!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)