Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2010, 10:10 AM

81 posts, read 107,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Finally got a chance to watch the whole Big Foot Silva/Andrei Arlovski fight, and came away somewhat impressed wth Silva's game plan, but I'm sure this was not the fight either of these veteran competitors was hoping for.

Saw someone post somewhere that it was a victory of sorts that Arlovski survived and didn't get knocked out, which I think is not the best logic, even though there is some truth to the observation, with Andrei coming off of two brutal knockout losses. It seemed that Arlovski could have pressed a speed advantage in the striking game, but when push came to shove, Silva was getting off better counters, and landing the harder blows. Also thought Silva was open all day for more and better leg kicks, but Arlovski just didn't pursue that avenue. As a former UFC champ, having faced marginally better opponents, and having been touted for much improved striking, seemed on paper like Arlovski should have fared better, but he didn't have a lot of answers for the clinch, and fell victim, especially in the third round, to the takedown, leaving him on the wrong side of the 29-28 decision.

Big Foot, having come out of muay thai and BJJ, has always seemed to me somewhat plodding, more dogged than inspired, and not especially athletic for a big guy. On this night, no question he did the better job, but to me and I'm sure for a lot of the fans at ringside, it was not the kind of performance that left me really anticipating watching him in the future with any kind of excitement. I lilked the takedowns, I liked his pushing Arlovski into the cage, but then it was kind of a stalemate, where Silva couldn't direct the fight into more dangerous waters for his opponent. Silva hit harder and more often, but was not able to seal the deal, and for a guy with a preponderance of knockouts on his record, makes me think Silva may have played this one a little safe, grinding out a win, but in less than spectacular fashion.

Still, a win is a win, but where does this leave Silva and Alrovski in the Strikeforce heavyweight picture? While SF is lacking depth in most divisions, with the resurgence of interest in the big boys of late, it seems to me that both of these guys should go back to the drawing board, train hard, and try to come up with more aggressive gameplans, to give the fans a better show and to impress the matchmakers and MMA pundits in hopes of stirring further interest in their repsective careers. Arlovski has a lot of fans, many of whom continue to erroneously (in my humble opinion) credit him with having done so well in the Fedor fight previous to suffering neural short circuit, and I know those fans want to see this fighter rise again. Silva may have less of a fan base, but did a solid if uninspired job in this latest contest, so I guess time will tell what opportunities these two will have in their futures with the Strikeforce promotion. Andrei Arlovski/Bobby Lashley? Big Foot/Brett Rogers?
Arlovski/Silva: Where are these heavies headed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2010, 11:07 AM

1,558 posts, read 2,598,077 times
im sick af andrei trying to box guys, i want to see some subs from him

Old 05-18-2010, 02:10 PM

1,895 posts, read 3,415,903 times
i was thinking the same thing when the fight went to a decision...somewhat of a moral victory for Arlovski, not getting KO'd.

it definitely looked like he was trying harder NOT to lose the fight, rather than trying to win the fight.

Old 05-29-2010, 10:38 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,197,191 times
It seems (and I'll grant could be an incorrect perception) that once fighters start getting knocked out it only gets worse for them as vulnerability, like their jaw goes from glass to eggshells.

Arlovski seems to suffer going down this path.

Old 05-29-2010, 10:48 AM

7,912 posts, read 10,087,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
It seems (and I'll grant could be an incorrect perception) that once fighters start getting knocked out it only gets worse for them as vulnerability, like their jaw goes from glass to eggshells.

Arlovski seems to suffer going down this path.
IMO it is more in their head then anything. their is no "glass jaw" or what not after the big KO but more the thought "crap if i get hit im going out" is always in the back of their mind. this IMO is more of a self fulfilling prophecy so to speak. their dont subconsciously ko themselves but they tend to make a subtle mistake or 10, enough to allow the ko. also, in the opponents mind is the fact "that guy got KTFO bad in his last fight so i know it can be done."

there is always the idea that these people where always susceptible to the KO but nobody knew how to do it until that one big KO. then people say to themselves "ohhhhh yeah if i do this he goes nite nite".

theories, nothing but theories.

Old 05-29-2010, 03:44 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,197,191 times
I dunno know man I once yelled at the TV and knocked Keith Jardine out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)