U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 12:51 PM

6 posts, read 42,653 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm new to Mobile, having fun exploring this unique city, but I am wondering what the "bad" areas are that I might want to avoid. I go out during the day with just my kids and I'm finding it hard to tell what's what--lots of diversity! I'm thinking it may be kinda like Bham, where there are places that are okay during the day but you wouldn't want to be there at night...?

Bel Air Mall/Airport Blvd?
Midtown/the Loop?
Govt St?
Tillman's Corner?

The couple of ppl I have asked so far are like, oh, it's fine...to everywhere I mention. Surely there are some neighborhoods that are sketchy for a woman alone w/kids or at night. So if anyone could give me an honest opinion before I find out the hard way I would appreciate it! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2010, 02:35 PM

2,308 posts, read 3,063,547 times
I will say that I`ve driven in some of the( suppose to be dangerous areas of Mobile) and I have` never had any traumatic experinces night or day.

With that being said the (suppose to be dangerous aras of Mobile)are: Prichard !!!!!!! and Toulminville,hwy 45/Wilson Ave run straight through both areas.Toulminville is one of those night time edgy places though and certain areas of Toulminville does have doctors and a senator living in that community.Avoid the Mayesville area as well it is an edgy place night and day to me but the areas around Ladd Stadium is ok during the day wich is in Mayesville.Michigan ave will lead you to the Mayesville community.There are some decent parts of Michigan Ave and that part has the big historic houses and the oaks lining the street when you no longer see the houses and the huge oaks then you will know that you are approaching an ify area of Michigan Ave,lol.

I hope I was able to help.

Old 06-21-2010, 11:17 PM

164 posts, read 299,338 times
Do not go to Prichard. The city is bankrupt and can't support itself as far as crime prevention is concerned.

If in Mobile and are from out of town, best advice is to stay in the Midtown "fan" with Spring Hill Avenue being your northern boundary and Government Street being your southern boundary.

All the areas you mentioned are safe. Just be more aware at night, and you'll be fine.

Old 07-13-2010, 07:55 PM

1 posts, read 9,934 times
Exclamation Areas not to go

Quote:
Originally Posted by avecar10 View Post
hi, i'm new to mobile, having fun exploring this unique city, but i am wondering what the "bad" areas are that i might want to avoid. I go out during the day with just my kids and i'm finding it hard to tell what's what--lots of diversity! I'm thinking it may be kinda like bham, where there are places that are okay during the day but you wouldn't want to be there at night...?

Bel air mall/airport blvd?
Midtown/the loop?
Govt st?
Tillman's corner?

The couple of ppl i have asked so far are like, oh, it's fine...to everywhere i mention. Surely there are some neighborhoods that are sketchy for a woman alone w/kids or at night. So if anyone could give me an honest opinion before i find out the hard way i would appreciate it! Thanks!
well, i stayed in toulminville for over 25 yrs, currently in new york, but bad areas should include toulminville, prichard, down the bay, some areas of maysville, dauphin island, navco, theodore, the list could go on..

Old 07-13-2010, 08:18 PM

9,047 posts, read 16,465,838 times
^^ I think you mean Dauphin Island Pkwy (aka "D.I.P."), not Dauphin Island itself.

Old 11-02-2010, 10:33 AM

1 posts, read 8,434 times
What about the area of Creighton?

Old 11-04-2010, 06:02 PM

442 posts, read 423,122 times
Mobile in general is not that dangerous from my experience growing up and going to USA there. Then again I never strayed far from the Airport and Government street corridor and I lived most of my life in West Mobile. Many people from across the bay will try to tell you the city is crime ridden. They are just trying to justify their high horse isolation over there.

Old 11-05-2010, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENJI.FOSTER View Post
What about the area of Creighton?

It just depends on the neighborhood in Creighton...There are some decent working class areas in that community.

Old 11-06-2010, 11:28 PM

9 posts, read 19,831 times
Daulphin Island Parkway is a definate no no, day or night. Theodore isn't advisable at night. Bel Air Mall areas isn't a good night spot either and now that the holidays are approaching it won't be real safe during the day either. NO Prichard, Toulminville, parts of 8 Mile and Chickasaw, or North Cody Road AND for reason should you visit the Navco Road area. Oh and Springhill Ave around the I-65 area. Sounds like most of the metro area but it really isn't. The person that said Daulphin Island must have meant the parkway, not the island. Just FYI, I was born and raised on DIP and my brother is a Mobile cop so I know of what I speak.

Old 11-07-2010, 02:52 PM

^^^ A littlle over done I think
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area