U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-26-2007, 09:24 PM

2,571 posts, read 5,163,738 times

Advertisements

anyone know alot about the school?

Excellent school IMO. Doesn't get near the credit and recognition it deserves, probably because of where it's located.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2007, 04:25 AM

896 posts, read 1,609,492 times
Mobile is a great city stop giving people negative comments.It's a growing city with plenty of new industry coming to the city.I have lived in places that way worst than Mobile.

Old 07-28-2007, 06:35 AM

3 posts, read 4,237 times
I've lived in Mobile for 10 years. The city itself is growing like crazy. I live in west Mobile and the new apartment complexes and housing developments seem to spring up overnight. The city is building and widening roads but they can't keep up with the rapid growth in population.

USA has a good reputation. I hired two young chemical engineers in 2000 that just graduated and they had been taught well. Both have a good grounding in the profession and are the equal to those that have graduated from places like Georgia Tech and other better known schools.

Pay scales are generally low compared to major cities, but they are raising as more businesses move to the area. There is a shortage of skilled craftsmen so pay scales in those areas are climbing rapidly. Other areas tend to lag behind because people like living near the coast and will accept lower salaries to do so.

There is a lot to do for young people in Mobile (and there are a lot college age people here). Some of it centered around the beach, but the area around USA is a typical college town kind of place. There is also a lot of very good food. As you might expect the seafood is outstanding and it will spoil you. After eating in Mobile for a while inland seafood will not taste very good.

In the ten years I've been here I've lived though six (I think) hurricanes. They are no fun at all. I've never had any serious damage, but some of my neighbors have. Going though the storm itself is bad - it's very frightening to know the wind is blowing at 75 to 100 MPH and your house starts making strange creaking, popping, and gowning noise. There is nothing you can do but pray - and I promise you will pray. Then comes the aftermath. The power is off for days or weeks, roads are blocked with trees and down power lines, stores run out of every thing, gas becomes scarce, and the clean-up is a horrendous task.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area