U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 07-29-2011, 01:26 PM

401 posts, read 580,893 times
Eric Bee,
If you come to Fairhope, try lunch at Panini Pete's. It's in the French Quarter area downtown...and kids are very welcome. He closes at 2:30p..

The Fairhope Museum is quite interesting and gives you all the history about our town. The Pier is our Town Square and fun for a quick walk(to tire the kiddies...LOL!)

Enjoy your visit and hope have a wonderful stay!
Quick reply to this message

Unread 07-29-2011, 01:38 PM

62 posts, read 64,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by humacaena View Post
Eric Bee,
If you come to Fairhope, try lunch at Panini Pete's. It's in the French Quarter area downtown...and kids are very welcome. He closes at 2:30p..

The Fairhope Museum is quite interesting and gives you all the history about our town. The Pier is our Town Square and fun for a quick walk(to tire the kiddies...LOL!)

Enjoy your visit and hope have a wonderful stay!
Thank you! And we are definitely going to be headed through/around Fairhope, as it has been one of two areas repeatedly recommended to us in the greater Mobile area.

Unread 07-29-2011, 02:46 PM

767 posts, read 1,163,878 times
After you see the Battleship Alabama, you are very near what I consider a nice restaurant, FELIX'S FISH HOUSE.
Try the Greek style grouper and the Camp salad and enjoy the view.

Unread 07-29-2011, 02:52 PM

Thanks, McCarley! I'm passing all these along to my wife. I really appreciate it.

How early in the morning do the jubilees occur, on average? I know we're coming in a common month for them. It would be uber cool if we were able to get lucky.

I don't even wanna gig (unless there are some local establishments that will cook what you bring 'em) or grab, but it'd be a blast to watch.

Unread 07-29-2011, 04:15 PM

3,619 posts, read 4,906,508 times
Well, so good to hear you and your family will be visiting soon!

Here are some "do & see" links I've pulled up for ya... from Mobile to the Eastern Shore to my favorite of course, the beaches:

Mobile:
-- Visiting Mobile
-- Bellingrath Home & Gardens
-- Gulf Coast Exploreum Science Center & IMAX Dome Theater
-- Mobile Bay Ferry (suggestion: plan a overnight stay at the Gulf beaches, take the ferry back from Fort Morgan the next morning to Dauphin Island, visit the island beach and Fort Gaines, then on your travel back to Mobile, stop in at Bellingrath Gardens for a tour -- maybe not in August, though)
-- USS Alabama Battleship
-- Restaurants - Locals, pitch in w/your favorites (sorry, can't recommend current restaurants since they change so often. You might check w/the owners at Malaga)

Eastern Shore:
-- Eastern Shore Chamber of Commerce
-- Eastern Shore Centre... experience the lifestyle

Fairhope:
-- Fairhope Merchants Association

Foley:
-- Foley Alabama - Visitor Information Center
-- Lambert's Cafe - Home of the Throwed Rolls (southern cooking to the max - definitely NOT diet food - awesome fried potatoes w/onions)
-- Tanger Outlet Center - Foley (shop 'til you drop)

Beach Info:
-- Alabama Gulf Coast Beaches
-- Lulu's Restaurant at Homeport Marina (fun activities for the kiddos too)
-- Original Oyster House Restaurant (great seafood & shopping next door)
-- Papa Rocco's Pizza Restaurant & Bar (kind of a hole-in-the wall-looking place, but great pizza and, if you're really brave, order one of their hot dogs loaded w/everything... bigger than a plate - maybe a small platter!)
-- The Hangout - Food & Music (kids free Pirates & Princesses breakfasts - right at the end of 59 on the beach)
-- The Wharf (http://www.thewharfal.com/?section=experience - broken link) (Home of the largest ferris wheel)

Sure hope the weather is good to ya and you enjoy your visit! Take it from one that's never ceased to be amazed... once you go through the tunnel and are crossing the bay, you will instantly "get" the pull of the area and the magic spell the coastal waters cast on you to just relax and enjoy life!

So, do let us know when you're ready to buy that boat!

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 07-29-2011 at 04:29 PM..

Unread 07-29-2011, 05:15 PM

2,141 posts, read 2,552,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Bee View Post
How bad would crime be in the midtown area (vs. other areas of Mobile), in your opinion?

I'm not worried about walkability, per se, but crime is a concern of ours. It's certainly higher in Mobile than Austin.

That being said, it isn't off-the-charts higher, and if anything like here, you know where not to be. Especially at nights on the weekends.

Mobile`s crime index is slightly higher there are no outliers between the two.

Unread 07-29-2011, 07:29 PM

Eric Bee,
My husband was called for a Jubilee last night about 11:30p. He did not go where he was told to go(very common) and did not stay long enough. But many of his buddies got lots of goodies. This happened about 3am....

Jubilees usually occur after a rain, where the outside air gets cooler than the water, wind is from the east....the water has to be super calm. If a ship passes in the channel, and there is movement, it's over.Heck, it's not something that can be predicted, but people here on the Eastern Shore take day naps, so they can go looking at night.

In the old days, there would be bells rung when a Jubilee was happening. Nowadays, it's cellphones. And if you have a net, and a bucket, and a gig...you have it made.LOL!!!

Unread 08-01-2011, 01:13 PM

Can't WAIT to get there, y'all.

Look at our forecast!

10 Day Weather Forecast for Austin - weather.com

And it hasn't rained here since early May!

Unread 08-01-2011, 04:19 PM

Pouring down rain again here in LA....hot but at least we are getting rain. I'd die in Texas for sure. My son and family live in McKinney...just as hot.

Another good place to eat here in Fairhope that has the best burger in town...Thyme by the bay. Great to sit out overlooking the bay, provided it's not raining.LOL!!! Dragonfly has awesome small bites(tacos and bowls)...gourmet tacos..not the usual.

Have fun and enjoy your stay!

Unread 08-04-2011, 11:08 AM

3,619 posts, read 4,906,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Bee View Post
Can't WAIT to get there, y'all.

Look at our forecast!

10 Day Weather Forecast for Austin - weather.com

And it hasn't rained here since early May!
Just thought I'd pass this along to ya, Eric Bee, since it seems you may have high hopes for much cooler weather in Mobile during your trip.

While you most likely will see some rain for a change, you may be in for a shock regarding the temperature... while Mobile's temp is lower, the heat index (read "with the humidity"), is equal to TX or higher!

Example: Current noon readings:
Dallas - temp: 101 - feels like: 105
Austin - temp: 97 - feels like: 100
Mobile - temp: 93 - feels like: 106
Gulf Shores - temp: 91 - feels like: 105
New Orleans - temp: 91 - feels like: 102
So, pack for a tropical paradise! Jeans will just make you feel like you're wearing them straight from the washer! I'd suggest dockers and a polo shirt or tee-shirt and shorts... I'm female and I try to stick to linen/light cotton anything in this heat!

Just a heads up!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area