Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 08:08 PM

6,848 posts, read 11,800,808 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Bee View Post
Thanks, PC. We love historic districts/areas, but we also don't mind a little 70s/80s action if we can get into a place and do a few repairs/restructuring. Our place now in West Austin is this way. Built in '83, and 'cozy', but we love every part of it but the lack of storage, which probably means we should throw some stuff/give some stuff away.
70s/80s would be Lake Forest in Daphne, zip 36526, just across the bay from downtown Mobile, great schools, great shopping and definitely lower priced since its older. Next would be West Mobile... okay all, pretend I didn't say that out loud!

Also, just a FYI, if you'll use realtor.com to do your house search, it will give you the lot size/acreage.

Quote:
I'm a marketer/biz developer and public affairs kind of a guy. My wife and I are also about to start research into the market potential for a couple of small business ideas in Mobile as well.
Well, we have just the place for y'all... see our former discussion on Restore Mobile & Bienville Square!

You are most welcome of course! Good luck in your search and here's hoping you find the very "best-est" fit for you and yours!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2011, 04:58 PM

62 posts, read 130,529 times
Okay, y'all,

The whole family is headed in for an exploratory mission to Mobile (and also New Orleans on the way in) in mid-August. We figured we may as well see Mobile at it's 'worst' weather (which seems to be about 14 degrees cooler than here today, with about 20% higher humidity), and explore a little bit.

We're staying downtown at the Malaga (Thursday through Sunday), which so far has been amazing. I've engaged with two different staff members (or owners, not sure) that were very kind and helpful. Seriously, y'all, between here and my phone conversations, you're making it hard to not like the people there.

We plan on day tripping it to the beach one day. We'd stay on the beach, but we want to see what it'd be like if we actually lived there and wanted to spend a day there.

We're still researching things to do, and we'll need at least one thing per day to keep the kiddos happy (and tired enough to nap). The beach does the trick one day. I'm all ears for further suggestions on that.

We're going to try and get a 'lay of the land' in 4 days, 3 nights, but may tack on an additional night if need be.

We're also all ears about good farmers markets for the weekend, good local-flavor, non-chain restaurants that are okay with kids there, a good wine/beer/liquor store (don't need the liquor but they are probably all together - haven't seen it any other way except in Utah).

And if you have any advice at all beyond that, we would *love* to hear it. We want a crash course in Mobile 101!

This is our first impression on whether we want to relo, and we're very excited to see what Mobile has to offer.

Thanks again for all of the awesome links, advice, and help so far. We very much appreciate it!

Old 07-28-2011, 06:45 PM

3,247 posts, read 9,050,177 times
Austin to Mobile gotta be an improvement in the food category

Old 07-28-2011, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaterry78259 View Post
Austin to Mobile gotta be an improvement in the food category
We'll find out! Austin is actually quickly becoming a world-class restaurant city.

But...you pay for that...and wait. Not quite week-out-reservations-New York bad, but not good.

Can't wait to sample some fare in Mobile.

Old 07-28-2011, 09:56 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,596,850 times
Go to Burris Farm Market in Loxley (on your way to the beach), it's one of the best in the area.

Old 07-29-2011, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Go to Burris Farm Market in Loxley (on your way to the beach), it's one of the best in the area.
Thank you!

Old 07-29-2011, 09:01 AM

5,002 posts, read 9,151,507 times
Quote:
Okay, y'all,

The whole family is headed in for an exploratory mission to Mobile (and also New Orleans on the way in) in mid-August. We figured we may as well see Mobile at it's 'worst' weather (which seems to be about 14 degrees cooler than here today, with about 20% higher humidity), and explore a little bit.

We're staying downtown at the Malaga (Thursday through Sunday), which so far has been amazing. I've engaged with two different staff members (or owners, not sure) that were very kind and helpful. Seriously, y'all, between here and my phone conversations, you're making it hard to not like the people there.

We plan on day tripping it to the beach one day. We'd stay on the beach, but we want to see what it'd be like if we actually lived there and wanted to spend a day there.

We're still researching things to do, and we'll need at least one thing per day to keep the kiddos happy (and tired enough to nap). The beach does the trick one day. I'm all ears for further suggestions on that.

We're going to try and get a 'lay of the land' in 4 days, 3 nights, but may tack on an additional night if need be.

We're also all ears about good farmers markets for the weekend, good local-flavor, non-chain restaurants that are okay with kids there, a good wine/beer/liquor store (don't need the liquor but they are probably all together - haven't seen it any other way except in Utah).

And if you have any advice at all beyond that, we would *love* to hear it. We want a crash course in Mobile 101!

This is our first impression on whether we want to relo, and we're very excited to see what Mobile has to offer.

Thanks again for all of the awesome links, advice, and help so far. We very much appreciate it!

List of things to do:U.S Battleship,Gulf Coast Exploreum,Museum of Mobile,Mobile Mardi Gra Museum(yes Mobile is the birth place of Mardi Gra in the Americas ),Air boat tour of the Mobile delta (Delta air boat express),Fort Conde, LODA art walk,Gulf Coast Jazz and Heritage festival,Cathedral Basilica downtown (may want to bring your camera),Alligator Alley, Kanaroos across the bay in Daphne ,Bellingrath Gardens and river cruise, and Estuarium at Dauphin Island Sea Lab.

Hope you guys enjoy your selves.

Old 07-29-2011, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortCity View Post
List of things to do:U.S Battleship,Gulf Coast Exploreum,Museum of Mobile,Mobile Mardi Gra Museum(yes Mobile is the birth place of Mardi Gra in the Americas ),Air boat tour of the Mobile delta (Delta air boat express),Fort Conde, LODA art walk,Gulf Coast Jazz and Heritage festival,Cathedral Basilica downtown (may want to bring your camera),Alligator Alley, Kanaroos across the bay in Daphne ,Bellingrath Gardens and river cruise, and Estuarium at Dauphin Island Sea Lab.

Hope you guys enjoy your selves.
Thank you, PC! We're really looking forward to it.

Old 07-29-2011, 10:35 AM

129 posts, read 362,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuhall View Post
If you prefer urban living then I would suggest midtown Mobile. Midtown offers walkability and bikability to downtown shops, events, etc.
Walkability? I don't really think so. Crimeability... possible.

Old 07-29-2011, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailysounds View Post
Walkability? I don't really think so. Crimeability... possible.
How bad would crime be in the midtown area (vs. other areas of Mobile), in your opinion?

I'm not worried about walkability, per se, but crime is a concern of ours. It's certainly higher in Mobile than Austin.

That being said, it isn't off-the-charts higher, and if anything like here, you know where not to be. Especially at nights on the weekends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area