Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 08:10 PM

275 posts, read 533,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLbeach lover View Post
Returning to Orange Beach/Gulf Shores area for the month of September for a long overdue getaway. WE have been to most of the older touristy dinning places and will visit them when friends come down. What we are looking for ( due to having a month) is where the locals dine( good food, decent prices) Where locals shop for food and clothing. The local evening night spots. Seniors young at heart with that limited budget. I love the back roads, local parks to visit while DH (dear husband) plays golf.

ANY information will be greatly appreciated from anyone !!!
We have a place in West Beach, Gulf Shores, and get down there periodically.

This past weekend we ate at Acme Oyster House for lunch and loved everything about it. It's a big, airy place, dark wood, checked tablecloths, excellent service and very good food. We started with onion rings with their chipotle ranch dip (yum!) and we both had the grilled shrimp with sweet potatoes fries. All delicious. For dinner, we ate at Franco's Italian Restaurant in Orange Beach, where we've been a number of times; it's always been good, but our meal there was exceptional this time. We also had Sunday lunch at the Mikato Steak House in Pelican Place. It was our first time there, and we found it very attractive, with an upscale feel but fairly reasonable prices and tasty teriyaki steak, chicken and shrimp. Their sushi menu was extensive, as well.

We've had a couple of meals at Tacky Jacks; fun place with pretty good food and friendly service, though I liked Acme better. We also like Fisher's in Orange Beach; the upstairs dining room is, in our opinion, likely the best restaurant in the area. Their downstairs Dockside casual restaurant also has excellent casual dining in a friendly atmosphere.

We always have fun at Lulu's, but prefer Lucy B. Goode's Coastal Cafe, which is decidedly pricey, but, in my opinion, well worth it for a special night out.

For simply wonderful takeout seafood, try S&S Seafood Market, at West 11th Street and Hwy. 182 in Gulf Shores. We ordered steamed shrimp, corn, and boxes of potatoes (not fries) for a family gathering recently and all agreed it was the very best we've had in Gulf Shores. My mouth waters at the thought.

For pizza (and we are pizza snobs, having grown up in the Northeast) we like Papa's at Pelican Place near the Target. A new place, Janino's, opened not long ago on West Beach Blvd. We were familiar with them when the same folks operated a wonderful Italian/pizza restaurant up here in Mobile. We can't wait to try their new place, as we've heard great things about them and were so disappointed when their Mobile place closed.

Bon appétit! You certainly have plenty of choices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2014, 01:04 PM

2,825 posts, read 4,440,214 times
Thank you all for this list. I'm just trying to plan what weren't going to hit up in two weeks. SO EXCITED!

Old 08-27-2014, 03:17 PM

4,992 posts, read 9,075,147 times
Hurricane Wings and Grill is awesome !!! And Nolan`s is mmmm mmmm good !!

Old 08-28-2014, 10:41 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,612,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PortCity View Post
Hurricane Wings and Grill is awesome !!! And Nolan`s is mmmm mmmm good !!

Is this the same Hurricane's that used to be the bar?

Old 08-28-2014, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
Is this the same Hurricane's that used to be the bar?

No the building is relatively new.

Old 08-28-2014, 02:19 PM

6,009 posts, read 6,612,743 times
Ahh ok.... there used to be a Hurricane's right next to the building that houses (or used to) Jalapeno's. It's on the left of the road when you turn left off 59 towards OB. I need to get down there soon and try some of these places out.

Old 08-29-2014, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
Ahh ok.... there used to be a Hurricane's right next to the building that houses (or used to) Jalapeno's. It's on the left of the road when you turn left off 59 towards OB. I need to get down there soon and try some of these places out.
Oh no this is a different place they have decent size menu!

Old 09-15-2014, 04:01 PM

2,825 posts, read 4,440,214 times
We tried a few places this last week when we were down there.

DeSoto's: Though very cheap, it was not very good. Run of the mill buffet type food to us and the place smelled very bad. I think their A/C Unit may have been out.

Live Bait: Nothing special either. Better quality than DeSoto's but pretty boring food.

Shrimp Basket: This was probably one of our favorite places. Reasonably priced and the shrimp was great, along with the oysters.

*I'll add a few more later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area