Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 09:26 AM

2,200 posts, read 4,422,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortCity View Post
Mobile is a better city all around and you would know that if you visited as much as you say you did.Yeah Pensacola may have a higher medium income but for a metro that is larger than Mobile`s we have a higher GDP.This is about development in Mobile not MOBILE vs pensacola.I like Pensacola so I`ll leave it as that I don`t want the thread to be locked.
The issue with respect to mean income is something IKEA looks at when locating to an area... it's relevant.

Now I'm not saying Pensacola deserves an IKEA over Mobile... neither area can support one with the respective population bases.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2011, 09:32 AM

5,003 posts, read 9,154,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psulions2007 View Post
The issue with respect to mean income is something IKEA looks at when locating to an area... it's relevant.

Now I'm not saying Pensacola deserves an IKEA over Mobile... neither area can support one with the respective population bases.

I get you point they sem to be in metroes with a population of 2 mill +.with Jackson,Mobile,Baldwin,and Escambia the area is only like 1.1 million maybe which is still small.

I assume the OP was talking about a distribution center.

Old 03-23-2011, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muxBuppie View Post
Yes,I've been to the one here in Atlanta. Mobile has enough blight put one in downtown or midtown if it really wanted.
The issue is where IKEA wants to go... not where Mobile wants it to go.

Another place that it could go (again, magical unicorns) would be near the Eastern Shore Center. The surrounding new developments would match the IKEA well.

FWIW, here are some cities that do not have an IKEA due to inability to support one:

Las Vegas, NV
San Antonio, TX
Birmingham, AL
Indianapolis, IN
Kansas City, MO
St. Louis, MO
Memphis, TN
Nashville, TN
Louisville, KY
Denver, CO (Though one is going to open in Fall 2011)
Cleveland, OH
Buffalo, NY

All of these places are significantly larger than Mobile.

Old 03-23-2011, 09:41 AM

Quote:
I get you point they sem to be in metroes with a population of 2 mill +.with Jackson,Mobile,Baldwin,and Escambia the area is only like 1.1 million maybe which is still small.

I assume the OP was talking about a distribution center.
Eh, the OP was mentioning year-round/seasonal traffic with respect to Panama City... I don't think that's the case. The IKEA distribution center in Tacoma, for example, employs about 125 workers.

Old 03-23-2011, 09:50 AM

5,003 posts, read 9,154,555 times
Shocked to see Cleveland,Buffalo,Nashville,and San Antonio on that list.

125 ? I was thinking 500 smh.

Old 03-23-2011, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Shocked to see Cleveland,Buffalo,Nashville,and San Antonio on that list.

125 ? I was thinking 500 smh.
Yeah I was surprised to see that number... but I suppose it doesn't take a lot of people to coordinate and move IKEA products since they are already well bundled and packaged. They are a super efficient company.

Old 03-23-2011, 01:02 PM
MPC

703 posts, read 1,267,399 times
Quote:
I'm originally from Pensacola... I've been to Mobile plenty of times. You are not as big as you think you are.

Pensacola's metro area is even bigger than Mobile's population wise.
Pensacola is bigger because of the counties included, with Baldwin County being added back our metro will be bigger by 130-150,000 at 596,000.

And because you are from down here, I will take back my comment, I just get mad at people who come in the forum just for trying to bash Mobile.

Pcola should be in the CSA, I know the % thing but I see enough FL Tags daily. If we won the tanker contract, I think Escambia, maybe even Okaloosa and Santa Rosa would have been added to the CSA. With MS counties, that 1.3-1.5 Million.

Old 03-23-2011, 01:24 PM

275 posts, read 536,118 times
I just can't imagine a place more out of sync with the Ikea vibe than Mobile. When I think of Ikea, I think modern, cold, a little edgy... not what comes to mind with Mobile. I do like their accessories, and the stores are fun to wander through; they're so huge that they need a cafeteria, as shoppers are starved and dead tired by the time they make it through the whole store!

Just don't see it happening here.

Old 03-23-2011, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muxBuppie View Post
Considering IKEAs prices I'm not sure how income matters. It's know as a "cheap" furniture store.
It's the target demographic. IKEA's biggest draws and targets are young college graduates to Gen Xers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPortCity View Post
Pensacola is bigger because of the counties included, with Baldwin County being added back our metro will be bigger by 130-150,000 at 596,000.

And because you are from down here, I will take back my comment, I just get mad at people who come in the forum just for trying to bash Mobile.

Pcola should be in the CSA, I know the % thing but I see enough FL Tags daily. If we won the tanker contract, I think Escambia, maybe even Okaloosa and Santa Rosa would have been added to the CSA. With MS counties, that 1.3-1.5 Million.
All of Baldwin County is not going to be a part of the Mobile metro area... none of it is now, although the eastern shore needs to be. SE Baldwin.. especially Orange Beach (perhaps not Gulf Shores/Foley) is much more a part of the Pensacola MSA.

Escambia's area is much smaller than Mobile Co's area and the ties between Pensacola and Santa Rosa Co. are much stronger than that between Mobile and further areas of Baldwin Co.... that's why Pensacola is bigger.

Also, CSA wise, one day Mobile and Pensacola will be the same once growth resumes and becomes substantial between the two cities... Maybe in 30 years or so. When the Wilcox Rd exit looks crazy and there is an additional exit between it and the FL/AL state line, then let me know.

Old 03-23-2011, 02:04 PM

864 posts, read 1,123,534 times
Quote:
It's the target demographic. IKEA's biggest draws and targets are young college graduates to Gen Xers.

All of Baldwin County is not going to be a part of the Mobile metro area... none of it is now, although the eastern shore needs to be. SE Baldwin.. especially Orange Beach (perhaps not Gulf Shores/Foley) is much more a part of the Pensacola MSA.

Escambia's area is much smaller than Mobile Co's area and the ties between Pensacola and Santa Rosa Co. are much stronger than that between Mobile and further areas of Baldwin Co.... that's why Pensacola is bigger.

Also, CSA wise, one day Mobile and Pensacola will be the same once growth resumes and becomes substantial between the two cities... Maybe in 30 years or so. When the Wilcox Rd exit looks crazy and there is an additional exit between it and the FL/AL state line, then let me know.

Ok, that would be some massive sprawl considering Mobile and Pccola are still 60 miles apart. Even Houston and Atlanta don't sprawl like that. Go 60 miles east from ATL and you are pretty much in Athens. The areas could infill though.

Anyways the only thing I notice better about Pcola vs Mobile is Pcola has closer beaches a nicer mall and a bigger music scene(though Mobile is no slouch for it's size). When lived in Mobile I mostly went to Pcola for big shows and my Aunt and Uncle. Gulfshores and Dauphin Island are closer to Mobile for beaches and in Gulshores case just as good. Basically it was a nice change of scenery sometimes but good enough for me to say nothing to say "I wish I grew up in Pcola instead of Mobile".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area