U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 08:42 PM

2,310 posts, read 3,065,290 times

Advertisements

With the surrounding areas I feel that Mobile has the demographics to support one!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2011, 03:14 PM

2,170 posts, read 2,243,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsky View Post
It reads like you are thinking I'm advocating that setting up in Mobile is the only option here. If it were set up in Covington as previously stated then it would be closest to the largest metro in the central gulf coast. If it were to be in Mobile it would be in a 600k metro immediately next to a 500k metro and a 300k metro. I'm not saying that's enough though as I apparently need to make clear.
Setting up an IKEA in Covington would be like moving the IKEA in Tempe to Sedona... or the IKEA in Tampa to Tarpon Springs. That makes no sense.

Mobile is not a 600K metro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortCity View Post
With the surrounding areas I feel that Mobile has the demographics to support one!
It doesn't.

Old 04-05-2011, 03:37 PM

336 posts, read 373,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psulions2007 View Post
Setting up an IKEA in Covington would be like moving the IKEA in Tempe to Sedona... or the IKEA in Tampa to Tarpon Springs. That makes no sense.

Mobile is not a 600K metro.

It doesn't.

Mobile is a 600k Metro, Baldwin County is getting added back.
Tarpon springs only has 23,000, more similar to Pensacola not Mobile.

Old 04-05-2011, 03:59 PM

2,170 posts, read 2,243,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPortCity View Post
Mobile is a 600k Metro, Baldwin County is getting added back.
Which can easily be taken away again like in 2000. Keep in mind the the vast majority of Baldwin county does NOT commute to Mobile for work... that would mostly be eastern shore cities. South Baldwin city residents stay where they are for now.

Quote:
Tarpon springs only has 23,000, more similar to Pensacola not Mobile.
I was talking about Covington, not Mobile.

Old 04-05-2011, 06:18 PM

199 posts, read 215,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psulions2007 View Post
Which can easily be taken away again like in 2000. Keep in mind the the vast majority of Baldwin county does NOT commute to Mobile for work... that would mostly be eastern shore cities. South Baldwin city residents stay where they are for now.
They took it away only because commuting went below 25% but has ALWAYS been above the 15% to include it in the metro. Anyways, it's back above 25% so this argument is old.

Of course south Baldwin people don't commute to Mobile... that would be a ridiculous commute... not to mention there's maybe only a few miles where land from Mobile and Baldwin county actually touches when it's not marsh or bodies of water. I think it's a miracle that even 25% commute considering the daily drive and the bottlenecks Baldwin county people face daily crossing the bay.

Old 04-05-2011, 07:21 PM

The bulk of Baldwin`s population is on the Eastern Shore I think.Majority of south Baldwin is retirees and snow birds.

Old 05-14-2011, 11:35 PM

422 posts, read 245,928 times
Just curious. How do you know where IKEA will build? Where do you get this information? I couldn't find it on their website.

Old 07-30-2011, 10:10 AM

3 posts, read 3,094 times
Default Mobile vs Pensacola

It doesn't matter which city is the largest, both have a lot to offer and drag well below their potential. Pensacola more so than Mobile. I am in both cities regularly. You see Mobile tags in Pensacola, and Pensacola tags in Mobile. It would be wise, especially in this economy, for the two cities to capitalize on each others assets.

I live in Pensacola, but I think Mobile planners would be more likely to work towards some type of unity. This was evident a few years ago when Mobile wanted to relocate both airports in Baldwin County half way between Mobile County and Escambia County. They wanted to build and an international airport handling both passengers and cargo. It would have been a boom for the area.

From 9 Mile Rd and I-10 to downtown Mobile is only about 40 miles, and the area in Baldwin County between the two is already booming, it is not impossible to imagine the two cities becoming one CSA.

Old 07-30-2011, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raw5916 View Post
It doesn't matter which city is the largest, both have a lot to offer and drag well below their potential. Pensacola more so than Mobile. I am in both cities regularly. You see Mobile tags in Pensacola, and Pensacola tags in Mobile. It would be wise, especially in this economy, for the two cities to capitalize on each others assets.

I live in Pensacola, but I think Mobile planners would be more likely to work towards some type of unity. This was evident a few years ago when Mobile wanted to relocate both airports in Baldwin County half way between Mobile County and Escambia County. They wanted to build and an international airport handling both passengers and cargo. It would have been a boom for the area.

From 9 Mile Rd and I-10 to downtown Mobile is only about 40 miles, and the area in Baldwin County between the two is already booming, it is not impossible to imagine the two cities becoming one CSA.

I strongly agree !!! Mobile and Pensacola both have a strong bond and I do see a lot of Escambia County tags in Mobile...So I can imagine that you see just as many Mobile County tags.If the demographics were done right I believe there is enough daily population change between the two to become one CSA.

Old 07-31-2011, 12:44 PM

2,437 posts, read 1,382,522 times
I hate to burst everyones bubble..But being from the N E (soon to be Fairhope) and having a Ikea close by,I have shopped their often and I "DON"T" anymore and never would again.
Quality is not that great.

As for the job side of it,would be wonderful so more people can find employment.

Just my 2 cents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area