Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2006, 09:35 AM

2 posts, read 6,419 times

Advertisements

I have lived in Mobile for the past 10 years. I have a love/ hate relationship with this city. I see all the potential this place has, but I also see a lack of vision by city leaders and its citizenry to move this city forward into a new era. Mobile can be a great city if it would only focus on the areas of education and public infrastructure. What company of note would want to come to a place where its employees don’t feel safe or can’t education their children? Until these things happen, Mobile will continue to loss it best and brightest to the eastern suburbs or larger metropolitan areas.

Please people wake up and see that is our time. With most of the Gulf Coast still recovering from Hurricanes Katrina and Ivan we have a great opportunity to seize our rightful place as that shining city on the coast we know Mobile can and should be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2006, 05:12 AM

1,320 posts, read 3,700,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerash View Post
I have a love/ hate relationship with this city. I see all the potential this place has, but I also see a lack of vision by city leaders and its citizenry to move this city forward into a new era.
This also sounds like Buffalo, New York!

Last edited by Marka; 09-22-2006 at 07:23 AM.. Reason: repaired code

Old 09-21-2006, 10:00 PM

24 posts, read 195,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerash View Post
I have lived in Mobile for the past 10 years. I have a love/ hate relationship with this city. I see all the potential this place has, but I also see a lack of vision by city leaders and its citizenry to move this city forward into a new era. Mobile can be a great city if it would only focus on the areas of education and public infrastructure. What company of note would want to come to a place where its employees don’t feel safe or can’t education their children? Until these things happen, Mobile will continue to loss it best and brightest to the eastern suburbs or larger metropolitan areas.

Please people wake up and see that is our time. With most of the Gulf Coast still recovering from Hurricanes Katrina and Ivan we have a great opportunity to seize our rightful place as that shining city on the coast we know Mobile can and should be.
oh we,the people who live here near poverty level see the problem and no potential in sight. It's the politicians and old money in this town that stifle any progress. It is what it is and the regular folk can't change it because those in power make sure we don't make enough money to barely make ends meet. So we're so consumed with trying to stay afloat we can't deal with what the big wigs are up to. This town sucks,will always suck and will suck the life right out of you. I'm getting out. Too bad I have to wait 6 months to do so.

Old 09-22-2006, 07:59 PM

24 posts, read 195,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southerngirl_for_now View Post
oh we,the people who live here near poverty level see the problem and no potential in sight. It's the politicians and old money in this town that stifle any progress. It is what it is and the regular folk can't change it because those in power make sure we don't make enough money to barely make ends meet. So we're so consumed with trying to stay afloat we can't deal with what the big wigs are up to. This town sucks,will always suck and will suck the life right out of you. I'm getting out. Too bad I have to wait 6 months to do so.
oh for clarification let me add, I was speaking in general terms, since I don't want to confuse anyone-I don't live near poverty level-NOW! But for the grace of God I was able to get a good job. But there was a time when I too didn't know where my next meal was coming from and a lot of people I know of still live this way. And it's not because they don't try to get ahead. They aren't deadbeats at all but are hardworking people who simply can't find decent jobs and pay the high utility bills and the high rent,car insurance,etc.

Old 09-28-2006, 12:35 PM

85 posts, read 524,438 times
Mobile Motto:If we can't stop progress we will die trying!

Old 09-13-2008, 08:56 AM

1 posts, read 3,366 times
Oh let's have a pity party. Why don't you get up off your cans and get some skills that will advance your life style. There are opportunities everywhere. I have lived in Seattle, and rural parts of Washington state, CA, TX and I find just as many opportunities here in the Greater Mobile area. No one wants to put forth the extra effort to get licensed, certified or educated to advance themselves. They would rather fish, watch TV, or play video games. Come on and "Educate Yourselves". No one has power over you but you. If you are young or middle aged you will be surprised at how soon the years fly by and you have wasted TIME!

Bamagal in Mobile

Last edited by dculver; 09-13-2008 at 08:58 AM.. Reason: add a word, change signature

Old 09-14-2008, 11:45 AM

247 posts, read 1,109,362 times
[quote=jerash;75471] What company of note would want to come to a place where its employees don’t feel safe or can’t education their children? Until these things happen, Mobile will continue to loss it best and brightest to the eastern suburbs or larger metropolitan areas.

QUOTE]

From the test scores in the Sunday, Sept. 14th, 2008 Press-Register, it doesn't seem like we are losing our best and brightest to the Eastern Shore.... Mobile had many schools that are scoring higher than they are.

I live close to downtown and I feel very safe. Of course, people should use some common sense and lock their doors/ take precautions no matter where they live.

I don't see how someone can't find a job here. My husband's experience is that most people don't want to work around here. He's in the construction industry and there is a major labor shortage in the crafts. They'll work for a little but not stick with it, so - big surprise! they don't end up making $18 -$25 + an hour like the few who DID stick with it. These are people who many times never finished high school, but it is possible with hard work to get ahead.

Great things are happening here in Mobile, but there can be a disconnect if you live out in the suburbs and are not involved with the communities of the arts, preservation, schools, community planning, and so on. I'm preaching to the choir here- because I would use the excuse that I lived so far out, I couldn't do anything. Now we live in Mobile- I've got so much to do. Therefore, I feel connected to Mobile... I know the people who are trying to make stuff happen in Mobile.... believe me , they are trying.

My message is this: If you don't feel things are going well, we need you to get involved in Mobile. Volunteer for one of our museums...etc! Work with the kids at one of our inner city schools. Geez, imagine if someone started a program to help smart minority kids HERE get scholarships to Ivy League schools. Murphy High School is doing something about that- holding fund-raisers so kids can afford the International Baccaulaureate Program, which is a step forward. They got 27 MILLION in scholarships this past year. Davidson High just started an IB program as well, that I'm sure they could use some help too.
YOU do something! If all of us help, we can move forward.

Old 09-16-2008, 08:20 AM

2,667 posts, read 6,777,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southerngirl_for_now View Post
oh for clarification let me add, I was speaking in general terms, since I don't want to confuse anyone-I don't live near poverty level-NOW! But for the grace of God I was able to get a good job. But there was a time when I too didn't know where my next meal was coming from and a lot of people I know of still live this way. And it's not because they don't try to get ahead. They aren't deadbeats at all but are hardworking people who simply can't find decent jobs and pay the high utility bills and the high rent,car insurance,etc.
Um, sounds like the rest of the nation. I hate to burst your bubble, but Mobile actually has a low cost of living and it's not like other cities "hire people" while Mobile doesn't. Sure, Mobile lacks the abundance of high-end tech jobs of some major cities, but for a mid-size city, it has plenty of decent paying blue-coller opportunities.

Old 09-16-2008, 08:21 AM

2,667 posts, read 6,777,279 times
By the way, yes, Mobile has ALOT of untapped potential.

Old 09-27-2008, 12:57 AM

386 posts, read 1,216,588 times
I myself moved back to Mobile to do all I could with my family's help of making this city the greatest place to live in the world. And thats my goal now in life. I love Mobile and will never leave this great city ever again. It is amazing on how many people experience a run in with crime or some trashy part of society..especially near their home and then hit the panic and RUN! button, and then head for the hills. I do not. My street in midtown wasnt bad, yet it had some slummy homes and most houses on my street had a LOT of weeds and brush grown up. I got together with every neighbor, and explained I intend to live here the rest of my life and I intend to make our street immaculate and needed their help. Not one neighbor turned me down. Two of them didnt have the money to improve their homes/yards...so the rest of us pitched in and did it ourselves. Now, in less than a year my street has the classic Mobile live-oaks look with upkept yards and true southern styled homes and nighttime landscaped lighting which proudly represents this great city and defines what involvment is all about.

I chose to come back to Mobile to make it a great city, and one street at a time, I and my family with my neighbors as well are doing precisely that..and I couldnt be happier anywhere else on Earth. God I love Mobile and its people!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
View detailed profiles of: