Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2011, 10:33 AM

5 posts, read 14,773 times

Advertisements

We are considering relocation to Mobile area, and would love some recommendations for nice subdivisions in the Fairhope area. What is the minimum price for a nice 3-4 BR house with 2-3 bathrooms and a 2 car garage? (We will be selling our midwest starter home for around $140,000 and would love to find a house around $200,000 but will consider going up to $225,000.
Thanks so much.
Peaches
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2011, 08:20 PM

432 posts, read 1,255,140 times
Pamp81,

In that price range, you can get an Adams home(to be built) in Huntington Woods, or a resale in places like Fairfield or Idlewild. All of these are nice. Keep in mind our property taxes are low, and insurance might be higher than most places up north. Good luck!

Old 06-03-2011, 08:25 AM

5 posts, read 14,773 times
Thanks so much Humacaena. I appreciate the info. I think my husband and I will come down some time at the end of June to have a look around the neighborhoods. This is a huge move for us.
Thanks again.

Old 06-04-2011, 09:25 AM

13 posts, read 91,986 times
Default Fairhope Subdivisions

Quail Creek, off 181, below Fairhope Ave may have some, if you are retired, on one street, Club drive. These are smaller homes and 99% are retired on this street. I don't know the rules for this forum on posting links, but there are two good Multiple Listing Sites that will give all homes and prices. Size: 1400-1900 sq. ft. Half are on golf course.

The Willows, off Fairhope Ave, has many homes in your price range. Willows are new homes, one beautiful resale. A family community. I don't care for the builder, but the homes look nice and the location is fantastic.

Idylwild is a bit pricier and much older homes. Great location.

There are loads of subdivisions, all hurting with high inventory so a great time to buy.

I am quite current as we almost moved and had our home sold and then buyer and we mutually agreed to cancel contract as our prospective home did not work out at all and we were able to cancel contract.

Closer you get to the Bay the higher the price and old, old homes are still around $300k on average and they are often tiny homes with nice lots.

Fairhope is delightful and many have moved to here and away from Mobile. Things have not been great in Mobile following Katrina.

Oh, Spanish Fort is a bedroom community to Mobile, but I'm not familiar with the subdivisions. Try those realtor sites with all the listings.

Good luck and welcome!

Old 06-04-2011, 11:13 AM

Peaches,

I also remembered Falls Creek SD, and Long Pines, where they are still building new homes for your price range. The Willows,(DR Horton), will soon start on their second phase and they will be in your price range. This SD is great, and phase one sold very quickly, even in a "bad market". Home in Phase one went for mid $220,000s to mid $330,000s. It is located very close to downtown Fairhope and the homes have great goodies like granite counters, ect. The 2nd phase will have very small lots, and should sell quickly also.

Hope you can find what you want here in beautiful Fairhope!

Old 06-05-2011, 05:54 AM

9 posts, read 18,715 times
Interesting information! (So... am I allowed to ask a question on Pamp81's thread? I hope so...if not, I do apologize for breaching forum etiquette!)

We will be looking to relocate in a couple of years. We are also considering Fairhope, amongst other places. Until I can get down there to visit next summer, I like to look around websites and do my research (ok, so really, it's daydreaming... but we'll label it research. Sounds much more useful that way!) Are there any subdivisions/neighborhoods with names directly in town? For example, I've heard of the "fruit and nut district". Any others? I think I've been told west of 98 is generally considered in town, but not sure how to go about looking at houses online... I know I am able to put in our max home price (prob about 450K), but I don't think I've encountered a realtors website yet that allows you to put in a designation like "in town" or "north/south/west/east of xx road"... though it is possible that I'm just not using their sites to the fullest potential. Wanting to look specifically for neighborhoods/subdivisions that are close enough to be able to walk to stuff in town...

Thanks for any info!

Old 06-05-2011, 09:52 AM

ASJ2011,
There are no new subdivisions "intown" but some west of 98 that are older homes, where you might find resales. The area called "fruits and nuts" is not a subdivision, just an older area with homes of all prices, age, and style. The streets have fruit or nuts names, thus the name. But also many streets names for settlers, like Gaston, George, Nichols, ect are in this area. This is a lovely area but quite eclectic. You might have a million $ home(or more) next to a $200k fixer upper.

Besides this area, there is the Bluff...quite expensive older homes, with some new ones being built by individuals who either bought a lot, or tore down a house. Again, it is not considered a subdivision.

The best way to learn about Fairhope is to come down, as it is hard to describe. The realtor websites just give you homes in price ranges you look for, but it's hard to explain what the rest of the neighborhood is like, unless it's know subdivisions like Rock Creek, The Woodlands, ect. And within Rock Creek there are several subdivisions like Sandy Ford, Savannah Square, Augusta Court, ect.

With your budget, you will be able to find a home intown, but again, this is now. In two years, who knows. For sure it will buy you a great home in many "subdivisions". Hope this helps, although I know it sounds confusing. Fairhope is not like other towns, for sure. That's why we love it!

Old 06-05-2011, 05:06 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,183,403 times
I was amazed to find my grandmother's home on Gaston Ave still standing. It was so tiny but then she only paid $25K.. IIRC.

Fairhope is a lovely place..

Old 06-05-2011, 06:13 PM

Keeper,

Gaston is one of the nicest streets in Fairhope. Those tiny cottages sell really well. Many people want to cut down in space, and remodel them. The ones in pretty streets are quite desirable. Yes, Fairhope is a gem!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area