U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-14-2011, 01:38 AM

10,095 posts, read 2,736,418 times

Advertisements

What do you guys think went wrong with this place ?

I personally think that the layout of the grounds prevent it from gaining any foot traffic from the few stores they do have.

With all that space, I think they should have build it as an actual shopping district, rather than just plopping things down where ever companies paid money to put something and having it set up on a normal road system.

I thought it should be like the Eastern Shore Center on a "block" system and on a much larger scale.

Also, the visibility of this mall is horrible, if you are coming on 1-10 from Mobile, you cant even see it till after you pass the exit.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2011, 07:49 PM

214 posts, read 179,408 times
Default Town Center

Most of the A-level national big box retailers interested in having a location on the Eastern Shore opened their stores at Eastern Shore Plaza and Aronov's Eastern Shore Park. I'm surprised JCPenney and Kohl's didn't sign on for one of ESC's latter phases, but oh well.

Spanish Fort Town Center didn't seem strongly conceived. The developers wanted Bass Pro Shops complemented with value-oriented in-line tenants, as if there was such a demand for retail space that a value-oriented niche could be carved from the market. No, not quite. The smaller national and regional retailers either have an existing store or plan on opening a store in a more firmly established development.

The development seemed clouded by a lack of marketing. Cypress Equities initially provided a blurry unintelligible site plan, a passel of ambiguous architectural renderings and vague ad copy on its web site. Now, there is barely a mention. I don't think I've seen or heard any commercials or radio ads for the Town Center ever.

Spanish Fort Town Center seems like an even less successful version of McClinton's Prattville Town Center debacle.

Old 08-14-2011, 07:55 PM

148 posts, read 334,724 times
A Macys, Bloomingdale's and Nordstrom would have been nice.

Old 08-14-2011, 08:28 PM

Bloomingdale's and Nordstrom would never come to this blue collar market.

Old 08-14-2011, 09:12 PM

417 posts, read 681,950 times
Last time I checked, not too many blue collars in the Eastern Shore as such...Fairhope...Point Clear, blue collar? I don't think so.

These stores do not come here because we do not have enough bodies in in this area. They go to markets like Atlanta (5 million.....and growing, larger than Alabama?), Seattle, Dallas. ect. We have to accept this fact...can't have it all...quality of life vs big box stores..

Quote:
Originally Posted by bon_regis View Post
Bloomingdale's and Nordstrom would never come to this blue collar market.

Old 08-15-2011, 10:41 AM

9,051 posts, read 16,475,389 times
I went to Macys in NY, I didn't see anything special about it.

Old 08-15-2011, 12:23 PM

148 posts, read 334,724 times
As someone who's traveled extensively for work the past 4 and a half years, it's nice to have options and varieties when it comes to shopping. I try to do my shopping out of town when I have a chance to visit these types of stores.

Old 08-16-2011, 08:27 AM

10,095 posts, read 2,736,418 times
here is my idea of what i thought the Town center would have been

Photo Gallery

Old 08-16-2011, 10:59 PM

Destin Commons is probably the best lifestyle center on the central Gulf Coast. Its compelling sense of design is complemented by a strong tenant roster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
here is my idea of what i thought the Town center would have been

Photo Gallery

Old 08-21-2011, 08:07 PM

11 posts, read 20,910 times
We can thank Timbercreek and also the dead Hwy 13 interchange. Without the access road and the interchange, it will languish and probably all but die.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area