U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-19-2007, 10:03 AM

4 posts, read 11,336 times

Advertisements

I am going to be moving to Mobile area next year. Can anyone tell me how much of Mobile was flooded during Katrina? Was Midtown flooded? Was Fairhope? How long did it take to get power back on? Also, how much do utilities run there for an average home, flood insurance, taxes? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2007, 11:24 AM

39 posts, read 135,258 times
Mobile is fairly spread out, so it's difficult to say without knowing the exact location you are talking about. BTW - Fairhope is not in Mobile or Mobile County - it's in Baldwin County, on the other side of the Bay.

I'm not sure why you mention Katrina, specifically, in terms of hurricanes and flooding - Katrina wasn't as big a threat to Alabama as Ivan was. Ivan was devastating and wiped out the coast. Katrina did more damage to Mississippi.

Here's a link that might help you do a bit more research on your own. I just typed "Hurricane Katrina in Mobile" into Google and a bunch of articles came up.

CNN.com - Katrina drenches Mobile - Aug 30, 2005

To compare cost of living such as utilities and so forth, you can go to Sperlings Best Places -- they have a neat Cost of Living calculator, where you can compare any two cities.

Good luck!

Old 08-19-2007, 12:28 PM

4 posts, read 11,336 times
Default Midtown Mobile

Thanks for your help!

The reason I said Mobile area is because I am not sure where I will want to live yet. From my research, I think I would love Midtown with its old historical look, or Fairhope, Daphne, Montrose with their fresher newer style, although there are alot of older homes on the Eastern Shore as well. In fact, I visited both in July, and there are definitely positives and negatives at both ends. Actually, I think I would be happy either area. Cost of utilites, insurance, and tendency to flood might help me make a quick decision though. I already did the comparison of two cities and utilities didn't seem much different from where I live now. But I saw a post that said utilities were astronomical in the Mobile area, so I thought I would get some real figures on that.

The reason I mentioned Katrina is because I read that Ivan took a sudden turn east and it spared Mobile the worst of the water surge. I thought that Katrina may have caused Mobile more water issues with the landfall being west. I wasn't there, don't know anyone there, so it is just a guess. I have read alot on the Internet, and I still can't find out exactly what areas did flood during either storm. All I can find is that downtown flooded, and I found a post saying that all of Midtown has the propensity to flood east of Broad. They didn't say if or when it ever had.

Also, alot of people have said you have to know what areas of Midtown are safe before you buy. If anyone can add anything there, it would help me in the decision making process very much.

Thanks!

Old 08-19-2007, 12:39 PM

39 posts, read 135,258 times
Okay, I see -- sorry, I missed the "area" part, ha ha.

Daphne is beautiful - there's a lovely subdivision there - HUGE - with gorgeous homes, and I know they don't have any trouble with flooding. My inlaws stayed at home during both Katrina and Ivan, and they didn't have any problems - no power loss, no flooding, etc. Baldwin County is really very nice -- and it's ten minutes from downtown, so the commute is a breeze.

As far as hurricanes go -- there's really no way to say where it's going to hit until it hits. We tracked Ivan till it made land fall, then packed up and ran west as fast as we could. We're 100 miles north of Mobile, but Ivan destroyed our town. Dropped an 80 foot tree on the roof of our house - and we just closed two weeks earlier - ack! Ivan literally destroyed the coast of Alabama (Gulf Shores) -- the main highway that runs along the beach disappeared - the hotels, everything - either wiped out or so heavily damaged that they had to be rebuilt. They're just now finishing the repairs in some areas.

But it's also good to remember that we don't often get hurricanes like we've had the past few years. Ivan and Katrina were monsters, but they are not the norm.

Anyway - good luck in your search!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area