U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 10:07 AM

143 posts, read 167,106 times

Advertisements

Don't need a phd for this because so many cities have done what Mobile needs to do. Simply look at Greenville, SC, Chattanooga, TN, New Orleans, etc. It ain't rocket science but our leadership is not 21st century and forward thinking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2011, 11:26 AM

2,286 posts, read 3,006,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuhall View Post
Don't need a phd for this because so many cities have done what Mobile needs to do. Simply look at Greenville, SC, Chattanooga, TN, New Orleans, etc. It ain't rocket science but our leadership is not 21st century and forward thinking.

It`s time to get them out !

Old 12-06-2011, 08:09 PM

77 posts, read 80,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuhall View Post
I agree..it has been time for new leadership and vision, Mobile has great foundation! I really think the downtown should focus more on affordable housing in dt mobile (not public housing)...cultural arts center or creative arts school such as SCAD...arts, museums along St Louis street...trolley system..locally owned businesses..marketplace.... family entertainment venues i.e Dave and Busters, skating and bowling venue...and better connection to the waterfront! IMO

Old 12-06-2011, 08:45 PM

10,994 posts, read 8,865,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by port25 View Post
I agree..it has been time for new leadership and vision, Mobile has great foundation! I really think the downtown should focus more on affordable housing in dt mobile (not public housing)...cultural arts center or creative arts school such as SCAD...arts, museums along St Louis street...trolley system..locally owned businesses..marketplace.... family entertainment venues i.e Dave and Busters, skating and bowling venue...and better connection to the waterfront! IMO
A streetcar would be cool, better connection to the bay would be even better. What's on that island just across the water to the east of downtown?

Old 12-07-2011, 12:44 AM

I think St.Louis street is UNDERRATED and over looked !! Pinto Island is industrial.It is full of gas storage facilities. Mobile`s past leaders didn`t realize the potential of Pinto Island.

Old 12-07-2011, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortCity View Post
I think St.Louis street is UNDERRATED and over looked !! Pinto Island is industrial.It is full of gas storage facilities. Mobile`s past leaders didn`t realize the potential of Pinto Island.
I was looking at a map and was thinking it should be an island geared for entertainment but oh well. Why would they zone it for industrial and not more inland?

Old 12-07-2011, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
I was looking at a map and was thinking it should be an island geared for entertainment but oh well. Why would they zone it for industrial and not more inland?

I have no idea it`s been industrial as long as I can remember.Pinto island has a huge issue with flooding so does the cause way.All of the sea food restaurants on the causeway are raised by at least 25 feet.The industrial waterfront is an advantage because it is entertaining and very interesting to look at but there is hardly any waterfront access.Mobile is a river city that does not have a river walk which is strange.The completion of the Maritime Gulf Quest Museum suppose to bring more waterfront access.

Old 12-07-2011, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortCity View Post
I have no idea it`s been industrial as long as I can remember.Pinto island has a huge issue with flooding so does the cause way.All of the sea food restaurants on the causeway are raised by at least 25 feet.The industrial waterfront is an advantage because it is entertaining and very interesting to look at but there is hardly any waterfront access.Mobile is a river city that does not have a river walk which is strange.The completion of the Maritime Gulf Quest Museum suppose to bring more waterfront access.
I see why now. But it still baffles me that they would zone it that way.

Old 12-09-2011, 01:41 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,020,040 times
I stopped in downtown mobile while driving through on I-10 in March. It was gorgeous but COMPLETELY QUIET at 6 p.m. It was eery.

People and amentities - bring them both.

Additionally, crossing that big road in between the river and downtown could be ALOT safer for pedestrians.

Old 12-09-2011, 02:08 PM

8,956 posts, read 16,176,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
Additionally, crossing that big road in between the river and downtown could be ALOT safer for pedestrians.
I assume you're talking about Water St?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area