Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2014, 08:16 AM

16 posts, read 46,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortCity View Post
I know the city of Mobile like the back of my hand

1) Church street stretches from downtown to near Ladd stadium.
2) There are only historic houses its in a historic district. That is why it is called Church Street East. The 1100th block of church street is NOT DOWNTOWN. Mr. Gibson jumped out of an apartment window and died. There are no apartments on Church street East(downtown) again when was the last time a shooting occurred downtown ?!

So get your facts correct my friend !
Sorry my definition of "downtown" didn't fit yours but everybody else described it as downtown Mobile! You're splitting hairs at this point. My facts speak the truth!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2014, 08:35 AM

1,501 posts, read 1,860,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Holmes View Post
Sorry my definition of "downtown" didn't fit yours but everybody else described it as downtown Mobile! You're splitting hairs at this point. My facts speak the truth!
Domestic violence, while obviously still appalling, doesn't fit your argument of indiscriminate danger here in the city.

There was just yesterday a double stabbing in a bar in Fairhope. I guess the whole of the city is now in danger?

Old 06-18-2014, 08:35 AM

5,003 posts, read 9,157,880 times
Quote:

That's the point my friend there is a lot of misinformation.FYI anything out side of Broad street (Hank Arron Loop) is not downtown. I really hope you find that special place and again I know Mobile is not the perfect place and there are issues with the city but the city is not a 3rd world country. As far as crime Mobile stacks well against other cities the same size to be honest. And bring your kids to downtown Mobile to enjoy the festivals and cultural events this summer. Stop listening to those people and let those kids enjoy life man. There are a lot of events coming up check them out dude.

Be a tourist of your own area. So often we don`t tour the areas and have never seen the tourist areas of our own city enjoy downtown.It has come a long ways trust me.

Old 06-18-2014, 10:56 AM

Everybody is entitled to their opinion. I guess you could encircle downtown Mobile however you want. I've spent plenty of time down there during relocation and I have a pretty good feel for the area. Me personally, no way in hell am I going to let my wife and kids stay there overnight while I'm traveling. Several of the people that I work with live there and they tell me it's very sketchy. You have to identify the exact block you want because just right down the street could be a terrible area. It's too much to consider for me to risk living there but I have no qaulms with people that do. I just suggest people look at Zillow or Trulia crime map because that spells it out pretty well!

Old 06-18-2014, 11:02 AM

10 posts, read 20,666 times
I wanted to thank everyone for the thoughts and opinions about Fairhope. I realize it's nothing like Huntsville which is a good thing. We are wanting to leave Huntsville for a number of reasons. Just a very few of those are the fact that we enjoy living near the water (bay/gulf) and enjoy the activities associated with that (boating, kayaking, ect. Our daughter is in private school due to the fact that we aren't impressed with our local schools. Fairhope HS is a draw for us. We also enjoy smaller town living and are ok driving 30 min or so to larger shopping areas.

One thing I forgot to mention is that I work from home and travel a lot. So, I'd be looking at either flying out of Mobile or Pensacola. Since I work from home, the post that I have read regarding the lack of internet is a bit concerning. I need high speed internet for my job. I currently utilize Charter's internet and I don't have any experience with U-Verse. Guess I need to do some homework.

One poster mentioned something about Jesus, Guns and Football. I am a huge advocate of all 3 so thing might help

We've only visited the area once and that was 2 weeks ago. We plan to come back a few more times this year before we decide. We actually stayed in downtown Mobile at the new Hampton Inn. I won't say I was any more or less comfortable in downtown Mobile than I am anywhere else when I travel (Philly, DC, ect). I actually thought the area I was in had a bit of charm. Granted, a few blocks down it looked a bit scary after dark but that seems typical for many cities nowadays.

Old 06-18-2014, 11:11 AM

Same situation for me...I live in Fairhope (Stone Creek Subdivision) work out of my house and I fly out of Pensacola primarily. Yes, AT&T UVerse is not yet in this subdivision even though it is one of the nicest communities in Fairhope but if you are familiar with Charter and like that service, what AT&T offers is the same. I just prefer higher speeds. We are close to the gulf living off of 181 so shoot me a private message and I will give you my address to look at on-line. A few other homes for sale in this neighborhood as well. BTW, I stayed at that Hampton Inn & Suites in downtown Mobile....on your next trip, you should definitely stay at the Homewood in Daphne or the Hampton Inn in Fairhope (Homewood is better in my opinion).

Old 06-18-2014, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Everybody is entitled to their opinion. I guess you could encircle downtown Mobile however you want. I've spent plenty of time down there during relocation and I have a pretty good feel for the area. Me personally, no way in hell am I going to let my wife and kids stay there overnight while I'm traveling. Several of the people that I work with live there and they tell me it's very sketchy. You have to identify the exact block you want because just right down the street could be a terrible area. It's too much to consider for me to risk living there but I have no qaulms with people that do. I just suggest people look at Zillow or Trulia crime map because that spells it out pretty well!
I've been downtown for five years. I live and work here. I think I know what I'm talking about. I just took a gander at one of those "crime maps" and it looks like the majority of the "stuff" is theft.

I'm traveling on business over half the year and I leave the fam behind all the time, feeling and resting assured.

To AAJ2006:

I like the Downtown Mobile Hampton. I highly suggest the Battle House downtown or the Grand Hotel on the Eastern Shore if you're looking for upscale lodging.

Old 06-18-2014, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj kapoor View Post
Posts with the daunting negative tones are from people who populate the forums with inexplicable agenda.

Positive and pragmatic posts are the ones to consider. A majority of people would not waste time on here to make you like it. In fact most of us who do like it so much worry that perhaps it should be kept a secret. lol
Agreed. I'm beginning to think the naysayers are all realtors on the Eastern Shore! :

Old 06-18-2014, 11:44 AM

Default Yes, I'm a realtor now!!

I'm in sales, yes, and my realtor hat is on big time...maybe I should get my license, though, from all of my other posts, I'd do a lousy job selling Fairhope, huh?! About the only thing I have agreed with you on so far, Southsky, is your lodging recommendations. Good call there and the Marriott Eastern Shore in Point Clear is the only way to go. Keep your doors locked!!!!

Old 06-18-2014, 12:02 PM

Quote:
I'm in sales, yes, and my realtor hat is on big time...maybe I should get my license, though, from all of my other posts, I'd do a lousy job selling Fairhope, huh?! About the only thing I have agreed with you on so far, Southsky, is your lodging recommendations. Good call there and the Marriott Eastern Shore in Point Clear is the only way to go. Keep your doors locked!!!!
John, you're just dropping napalm on the whole area.

I don't know why you're so persistent on this crime argument. Yes, there are high crime areas in Mobile (like any other medium to major city) but there are many great areas of Mobile too. I live in downtown Mobile because I enjoy urban comforts it affords (where I can walk to work, restaurants, pubs, shows, concerts, symphonies, operas) and we feel very safe. Those in Midtown also aren't too far away either!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area