Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 08:56 PM

86 posts, read 243,237 times

Advertisements

We work from home and our son will be going to the University of Alabama. We have a ten year old who needs good schools but also a lot of recreation activities. We love living by the water but not sure about Mobile being so close. We have heard from some friends who have driven through that Mobile was a scary city to them. I personally have no opinion, hence the reason I'm here.

Thanks for your help.

Looks like an adorable town. Is it growing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2013, 01:04 AM

5,234 posts, read 7,983,041 times
I know people have asked about the area before. Take a look at the past threads, maybe that will help you answer some questions. According to the 6/28/13 article below, "Of the 13 Alabama metros included in the list, only Auburn-Opelika, Daphne-Fairhope-Foley and Huntsville made the top 100 in growth". Good luck to you.

List of past threads;
http://www.city-data.com/forum/searc...archid=5417409

Montgomery now dying faster than Birmingham, report indicates (John Archibald) | al.com

Old 07-10-2013, 01:44 AM

1,892 posts, read 3,083,992 times
Moderator cut: snip
Fairhope is one of the most delightful places one could spend time or a lifetime. Those of us lucky enough to live or visit hope that it will not grow at all. It is perfect. (and I am progressively pro growth)

I have no other connection to Mobile other than it is the second city of Alabama and our port to the world as well as being one of the ten busiest ports in the nation. I would say to you that if you drove across America that you could feel uneasy in any city of half a million people. (and more or less) "People driving through" are a real pet peeve of mine. That is like 'walking through a restaurant and pronouncing it unfit'. Mobile is a very bustling city and has great historic charm. To drive down Government Street for the first time is a head turner. Like most coastal cities it seems a little seedy here and there but not like New Orleans. Moderator cut: snip

Last edited by Keeper; 07-10-2013 at 05:23 AM.. Reason: We are a relocation forum../rude

Old 07-10-2013, 05:22 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,183,403 times
Mobile has some beautiful areas and it is my hometown. Some of the area around the interstate are not the best areas to live however there are many nice areas. Everywhere I lived growing up has changed. I have many friends who still live in Mobile and they tell me certain areas have a lot of crime as is the case in many big cities. I love midtown because of the older homes but there are newer homes out towards the airport. Traffic is pretty bad in some areas.

Fairhope, Daphne, Loxley are all great areas. I love Fairhope and it is a safe area. Many people still leave their doors unlocked. You aren't 'that' far from Mobile either. There are other areas that are just as nice. If schools are important then Fairhope and Daphne would be a good place to look.

Old 07-10-2013, 07:00 AM

5,000 posts, read 9,143,305 times
Mobile is not the most appealing city WHEN you drive through it on I - 10 but to travel through on the city streets its a different story.The city is historic and charming you should check out the Mobile al photo thread.

Old 07-10-2013, 07:22 AM

1,075 posts, read 1,771,662 times
Fairhope has a nice small town feel to it. Lots of locally owned shops downtown selling art, clothing, etc. It is close to Mobile Bay, and not far from the beaches. It is in Baldwin County, which is one of the more affluent counties in the state (if not the most).

Mobile is more of a mixed bag. It boasts nice historic homes in downtown and midtown, and west Mobile has a lot of nice subdivisions. However, there are also several areas that are not as nice. The good news is that there is a lot of economic development going on and things will most likely be improving over the next few years.

Neither city is all that close to the University of Alabama, which is further north in Tuscaloosa. That can be a good thing, though. It will be close enough for your son to make weekend visits, but far enough away that he's getting the "college experience".

Old 07-10-2013, 03:47 PM

432 posts, read 1,255,140 times
After looking at many other areas of the country, including Vancouver in Canada, we settled in Fairhope 9+ years ago...and love it!!! We came here from Atlanta, and have not been there in almost 6 yrs now...and friends come to see us instead. We go to Mobile if we have to....but not too often, as Fairhope and the Eastern Shore have all that's needed.

The city is well balanced with people of all ages and economic standards....but similar interests. Just come and spend a few days here and you'll see for yourself. You will fall in love...We did!

Old 07-11-2013, 10:23 AM

275 posts, read 535,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida_sassy View Post
We work from home and our son will be going to the University of Alabama. We have a ten year old who needs good schools but also a lot of recreation activities. We love living by the water but not sure about Mobile being so close. We have heard from some friends who have driven through that Mobile was a scary city to them. I personally have no opinion, hence the reason I'm here.

Thanks for your help.

We moved to Mobile from New England 35+years ago (we were newlyweds and 22.) Talk about culture shock!!! The city has changed slowly, and seems on the verge (finally!) of greater things.

We lived in midtown briefly (first house), and now West Mobile. Knock on wood, we have never had any problem with burglary, etc. There are scary areas of town, but unless you're looking for drugs, work in a convenience store, or wander in bad areas, you are likely going to be OK. The very occasional sensational murder gets all the publicity but they are out of the ordinary.

As to Fairhope, we just love it. It's artsy, beautiful, on the water, has some good restaurants, an eclectic mix of people from all over, and is generally wonderful. It reminds me a little of some of the "art colonies" near the water in New England... but hotter (and with no icy roads in the winter!)

If it wasn't such a drive from hubby's work, we'd have moved to Fairhope in a heartbeat. Try it, I think you'll love it.

Old 08-05-2013, 11:39 AM

3 posts, read 13,996 times
OK, live WHERE YOU want to live, your child will eventually be out of college. Fairhope is nice, but they have their slums & meth busts too,,

Old 08-31-2013, 04:09 PM

16 posts, read 46,933 times
Default Stay away from Mobile!

Mobile is scary to put it bluntly. Hard to find any place in the city where there isn't crime unless you go to West Mobile or Springhill but even still, you are surrounded by it. All you have to do is look at the crime map on Zillow or Trulia to confirm what I am saying is true. Anyone with a right mind is going to stay across the bridge. Sure, the long-time Mobilians have their homesteads and certain "blocks" downtown are considered nice and safe (relatively). It is a beautiful area with all the spanish moss and old homes and you can still find a deal on a fixer-upper or better yet, a home that has been restored. But unless you have armed guards or at least an alarm system with a German Shepard in front and another in back of your house, you wouldn't feel safe. And I'd never leave my wife alone if I were traveling.

We had a very open mind when we were looking and decided to move to Fairhope. I strongly urge you to set up shop on the eastern shore. I researched it for close to a year before deciding on this area. Choose the right neighborhood and make sure you have the right realtor because some areas over there are better than others (as far as finding the right house). And by that I mean when the recession hit, some builders pulled out and others moved in like D.R. Horton. They have mucked up a few neighborhoods in Spanish Fort already so be careful. You wouldn't want to buy a custom house next to one of theirs . You won't have a problem with crime anywhere you live on the eastern shore, however.

And one more thing, if you work from home you need good internet. Make sure you have cable service wherever you find a home. There is no AT&T UVerse in our neighborhood and we are struggling a bit with access to high speed. That was the only thing I didn't research and wish I had.

Good luck!
John Holmes

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida_sassy View Post

Thanks for your help.

Last edited by John Holmes; 08-31-2013 at 04:11 PM.. Reason: Addition
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area