Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 01:57 PM

8 posts, read 10,126 times

Advertisements

Sorry if this is a rehash, but we are considering a move to the Mobile area and keep reading great things about the Eastern Shore/Baldwin county (and hearing not so good things about Mobile proper). My concern is I would be working near the airport. Would that commute to live in Spanish Fort be worth the daily drive, versus finding a home near work in west Mobile? I have a high school and middle schooler at the moment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2014, 05:32 PM

1,498 posts, read 1,855,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwsflyer View Post
Sorry if this is a rehash, but we are considering a move to the Mobile area and keep reading great things about the Eastern Shore/Baldwin county (and hearing not so good things about Mobile proper). My concern is I would be working near the airport. Would that commute to live in Spanish Fort be worth the daily drive, versus finding a home near work in west Mobile? I have a high school and middle schooler at the moment.
Near which airport in Mobile will you be working? If Mobile Regional, west Mobile is just fine. If Brookley Field, Midtown, Downtown, and Spring Hill are all very nice. If you don't mind me asking, from what sources are you hearing "not so good things?"

Old 02-24-2014, 05:48 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
I certainly wouldn't drive to Mobile Regional from Baldwin County everyday. The Semmes area would make more sense.

Old 02-24-2014, 07:03 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 17 days ago)

29,550 posts, read 16,528,077 times
Quote:
Depending on when you leave for work, that is a 35 to 1 hour drive from Spanish Fort.

If it is about the kids more than the job, i would say live in Spanish Fort( north of the city limits, cheaper prices, same school district).

Old 02-24-2014, 10:34 PM

5,000 posts, read 9,143,305 times
Mobile is not a bad place live. If you are working at Mobile Regional than west Mobile would be fine .

Old 02-24-2014, 10:55 PM

275 posts, read 535,801 times
If you're at the Mobile Regional Airport, and I assume that's what you mean, I would recommend West Mobile. There are plenty of wonderful neighborhoods within a 10-20 minute drive, and Baker High School, in West Mobile, is excellent. (I know the principal.) Traffic to and from the Eastern Shore (Spanish Fort) can be miserable, and I certainly wouldn't want to drive that far twice a day.

We've lived here most of the last 35+ years - in West Mobile - and have come to like it very much.

Old 02-25-2014, 08:17 AM

8 posts, read 10,126 times
Thank you for the replies and information! Yes the job is near the regional airport- I should have made that more clear. My inclination is to avoid a longer commute if I can, although I currently have a 30 min commute (be it over less miles) where I live now. It seems that most of the newer development has been over in Baldwin county from what I have been reading which is making me wonder if it would be worth the drive. I have heard good things about Baker High as well.

Old 02-25-2014, 09:04 AM

1,498 posts, read 1,855,302 times
Quote:
Thank you for the replies and information! Yes the job is near the regional airport- I should have made that more clear. My inclination is to avoid a longer commute if I can, although I currently have a 30 min commute (be it over less miles) where I live now. It seems that most of the newer development has been over in Baldwin county from what I have been reading which is making me wonder if it would be worth the drive. I have heard good things about Baker High as well.
There is new construction on both sides of the bay, if that is what you are looking for. However, most of it is in suburban subdivisions.

From downtown Spanish Fort, it will currently take 36 min to get to Mobile Regional Airport. But, that is off-peak traffic (it is 10am here now). The main bottlenecks on this route would be the Bayway/Causeway/Wallace Tunnel/Bankhead Tunnel and Airport Blvd.

Old 02-25-2014, 07:56 PM

275 posts, read 535,801 times
Quote:
There are plenty of new/fairly new neighborhoods in West Mobile, and also some lovely established neighborhoods. We are located off Hillcrest Rd., about 15 min. from the airport, in an attractive neighborhood that's been here for about 20 years. There is no shortage of good family neighborhoods within a short drive of the airport. In addition to Baker H.S., Causey Middle School is very good.

The school district lines can be a little wonky, so specify what school district you want when house-hunting. Some neighborhoods in West Mobile are in the Murphy and Davidson High School districts; some good and some bad about those. (Murphy had been stellar until the Christmas Day tornado in 2012; Davidson has a terrific principal but has had its problems.)

Our girls went to McGill-Toolen Catholic H.S., and received a terrific education.

Old 02-26-2014, 03:53 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,183,403 times
There are areas in Mobile to avoid but you can always ask here about different neighborhoods. We have some great members who will not lead you astray. My Dad lived in Spring Hill and also in another subdivision off of Airport road that was in a really nice area.

While the commute time might be 35 minutes it surely isn't going to happen during rush hour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area