Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2014, 09:15 AM

4,995 posts, read 9,138,271 times

Advertisements

Have any of you noticed a large piece of land has been cleared at the corner of Univerity and Over look ? Its the wooded property across from the Circle K that's on the same corner.I thought the property would be used for apartment units but the buzz is that it will be another Neighborhood Market. I really hope not do you guys have any info? And if they were going to build another one in Mobile I probably would have felt a little better , just a little,with a downtown location along Broad Street or something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2014, 10:51 AM

687 posts, read 1,204,350 times
That would be an odd location for a Neighborhood Market.

Old 08-29-2014, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bon_regis View Post
That would be an odd location for a Neighborhood Market.
Bon I hope it's just talk,I really do.

Old 08-29-2014, 07:59 PM
MPC

703 posts, read 1,265,923 times
I hope it isn't another one also. I don't think that Overlook could handle the traffic because it's just a 2 lane road. Really odd location. I agree PortCity, i'd like to see one downtown but even closer than Broad. It'd be nice if downtown could offer all the amenities needed to live somewhere.

My idea, get a CityTarget for grocery and discount goods or Publix maybe, Walgreens for a pharmacy, Planet Fitness or Anytime for fitness, and throw in all your other needs like H&R Block for taxes, Super cuts for hair & salon needs, GNC for nutrition, UPS and/or FedEx office, maybe Palm beach tan for people who like to tan lol, couple of 7-11s for convenience, then throw in your food joints, retailers, maybe some attractions. Maybe a downtown Margaritaville, across from a Ripley's Odditorium that's down the road from a Wax museum, next to a Hard Rock Cafe that's diagonal to the Dave and Busters. You get the point, but it'd be cool to have this downtown.

Old 09-01-2014, 08:08 PM

386 posts, read 1,216,368 times
You can count on it. The income in the area isn't sufficient for another high end grocer. Also, Walmart wants to lock up the college crowd..yeah, good luck with that when it comes to keeping items IN STOCK and registers STAFFED. When it opens (Spring 2015), it will do its business and once again the clientele they love to draw will swarm there. I myself havent set foot in a Trashmart in over 2 years, and I sure as heck ain't about to start ever again! And besides...Jimmy Lowes, Old Shell Market, Food 4 Less, Greers/CashSaver and Food Champs are much cheaper anyway!

Old 09-06-2014, 11:20 PM

al.com just confirmed it...UGH!

Old 09-07-2014, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unstoppablemobile View Post
al.com just confirmed it...UGH!
They are out to destroy local grocery chains! Because the food for less behind Krystals on Moffett will not make it now.Again I wish it was built downtown along Broad.

Old 09-07-2014, 05:55 PM

687 posts, read 1,204,350 times
The last thing needed on Broad is a suburban big box store sitting inside a sea of asphalt.

Old 09-07-2014, 08:35 PM

1,892 posts, read 3,083,382 times
It sounds like the city does not listen to the people. If that many make their wishes known, most cities will not adjust the zoning or whatever else it takes to accommadate a business that is going to make the populace unhappy. Perhaps the average Joes and Janes just don't give a hoot what store open where. A little community education could be in order.

If a location is good enough for one major company, there are others usually in the wings who will be glad to come in if the first is denied. The lessor of two or three evils is the way to go.

Old 09-11-2014, 11:58 PM

I dont think Food 4 Less has much to worry about. Their prices are much lower than Walmart's
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
View detailed profiles of: