Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 12:50 PM

5,003 posts, read 9,157,880 times

Advertisements

As you all know that the only remaining cobble stone street in Mobile is on South Royal Street. I was always told that Mobile`s cobble stone past was buried under the asphalt that we see today. And no matter how much they repave the streets they will never destroy the bones that are buried under the asphalt. So what I don`t get is if they are careful to not destroy the cobble stone when stripping the streets for new asphalt then why recover it ? Why not polish the old bones and let the city`s past show ?Why cover the bones with that ugly a$$ asphalt ?! I don`t care how sparkly the black asphalt is just, polish the bones and let the old creole lady (Mobile)show more of her past.

Well Monday I was cruising the De Tonti area and I saw that a few streets in the district were stripped for what I assume to be repaved. As I got closer I realized that Mobile`s cobble stone grave yard was not an urban legend and even though they were unpolished and old they still looked so much better than the asphalt crap we see today. I can imagine how many times the streets of Joachim(French) and St.Anthony(French) have been stripped several times and repaved several times and the bones still look good.If they are important enough to save then why has the the city repaved over them instead of letting them show. I don`t live in De Tonti but I wonder do the residents feel as strong as I do about the bones that are under the streets in that district or downtown period. I hope this time they decide to keep them.

Joachim and St.Anthony by Port_of_Mobile, on Flickr

Old Mobile dug from the grave by Port_of_Mobile, on Flickr

Let`s polish these old bones and keep them out of the grave Mobile ! by Port_of_Mobile, on Flickr

Keep that ugly asphalt away ! by Port_of_Mobile, on Flickr

Bones by Port_of_Mobile, on Flickr

Bones as far as the eye can see they run into the CBD ! (That rhymes) by Port_of_Mobile, on Flickr

Well my friends as you can see the cobble stone grave yard is not an urban legend. If not all then majority of the streets in downtown are cobble stone grave yards. lets find that leprechaun next
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2014, 10:21 PM

1,892 posts, read 3,085,517 times
Much of what I see in these photos are brick not cobble stone. Cobble stone is usually more fat and square.
Also I see that there is a lot of damage to the brick where, no doubt, years of utility work has cut through them.

If there are cobble stone streets to preserve, they would best be reserved for pedestrian streets.
My experience with cobble stone streets is horrendous. They just weren't built for modern vehicles, and I personally wouldn't want to jeopardize the integrety of my cars' construction.

There are two main streets where I live with cobble stone and I love to walk them but will drive blocks out of the way not to drive on them. Oh, and they are low traffic streets , or I feel sure they would be repaved.

Sad, but a fact. Sort of like gas lighting. Looks great in decorative settings but I would not want to have to depend on it for light.

I DO APPRECIATE your enthusiasm however. I really do.

Old 09-13-2014, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj kapoor View Post
Much of what I see in these photos are brick not cobble stone. Cobble stone is usually more fat and square.
Also I see that there is a lot of damage to the brick where, no doubt, years of utility work has cut through them.

If there are cobble stone streets to preserve, they would best be reserved for pedestrian streets.
My experience with cobble stone streets is horrendous. They just weren't built for modern vehicles, and I personally wouldn't want to jeopardize the integrety of my cars' construction.

There are two main streets where I live with cobble stone and I love to walk them but will drive blocks out of the way not to drive on them. Oh, and they are low traffic streets , or I feel sure they would be repaved.

Sad, but a fact. Sort of like gas lighting. Looks great in decorative settings but I would not want to have to depend on it for light.

Hmmmm well as brick streets it should be a smooth ride right raj ? I hope some one half enough sense to refurbish them.

Old 09-13-2014, 04:50 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times
Looks like sections are missing, like they've been dug up or something.

Old 09-14-2014, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortCity View Post
Hmmmm well as brick streets it should be a smooth ride right raj ? I hope some one half enough sense to refurbish them.
I would give them a try.

Old 09-14-2014, 03:46 AM

48,129 posts, read 22,004,457 times

This is a close up of a cobblestone street in the Old Port of Portland Maine. Portland has restored many of the original cobblestone streets in the old section near the harbor.....and they are charming and functional. The stone is granite and the cobbles were originally ballast in sailing vessels that came to Portland harbor. The city also sold cobblestones to private parties for landscaping and building cobblestone drives and patios.....they are quite beautiful...and pricey.

Old 09-14-2014, 05:29 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,745,680 times
Quote:

My experience with cobble stone streets is horrendous. They just weren't built for modern vehicles, and I personally wouldn't want to jeopardize the integrity of my cars' construction.

Beatufilly said!

I'm an architectural historian and love all things old, but cobblestone streets are a misery. I've ridden my bike over many of them, and it's not pleasant! And you're right - they can wreak havoc with a car.

Honestly, I'm not even keen on WALKING on cobblestone streets. Too many trip hazards (and I'm pretty good at walking!).

These brick streets (shown in the photos) are in rough shape. They'll probably need to be re-bricked and the cost to lay a brick street can be exorbitant. I wish more cities did it, but the cost is an impediment.

That being said, I love the photos, and it's so cool to have re-discovered a piece of Mobile's history.

Old 09-14-2014, 05:36 AM

48,129 posts, read 22,004,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryT View Post
Beatufilly said!

I'm an architectural historian and love all things old, but cobblestone streets are a misery. I've ridden my bike over many of them, and it's not pleasant! And you're right - they can wreak havoc with a car.

Honestly, I'm not even keen on WALKING on cobblestone streets. Too many trip hazards (and I'm pretty good at walking!).

That being said, I love the photos, and it's so cool to have re-discovered a piece of Mobile's history.
But they do discourage skate boards.....at least on the cobblestone streets.

Last edited by elston; 09-14-2014 at 05:48 AM..

Old 09-14-2014, 12:28 PM

Some great thoughts shared here.

Did any of the Mobilians on the thread know that the beautiful, original paving stones for downtown Mobile's sidewalks were sold/taken/confiscated/? for the patios, terraces and outdoor areas around the BELLINGRATH home at Bellingrath Gardens.

They are not cobble stones or brick however. (I have very mixed feelings about this too, due to the stories I have read about how this came to be. Coca Cola money, you know)

Old 09-14-2014, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Some great thoughts shared here.

Did any of the Mobilians on the thread know that the beautiful, original paving stones for downtown Mobile's sidewalks were sold/taken/confiscated/? for the patios, terraces and outdoor areas around the BELLINGRATH home at Bellingrath Gardens.

They are not cobble stones or brick however. (I have very mixed feelings about this too, due to the stories I have read about how this came to be. Coca Cola money, you know)
No I never knew that but I saw you post about that before.I think I have an idea of what you are talking about.I think some of the side walks downtown still have that particular stone I believe you are talking about. More of a very thin strip.I will be downtown in the middle of the week.I'll take pictures and post it on this thread. I believe They are on Royal st and maybe in the Fort Conde Village. FYI the city sold a lot of Iron work that was a huge part of Mobile's architecture during the great depression !

Thanks for the replies and you all seem to know a lot about brick and cobble stone streets.I guess my dream of refurbishing the old bones is a dead one smh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area