Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2014, 11:50 PM

40 posts, read 55,065 times

Advertisements

What type of businesses or infrastructure is Mobile lacking in? What do we need here to up the value of living?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2014, 07:00 AM

50 posts, read 57,693 times
Downtown is fortunate to have many bars and restaurants. Now we need other businesses such as clothing, drug stores, grocery stores, bowling, movie theaters, and other shops that will draw people downtown. In conjunction with this is a need for more housing opportunities along St. Louis Street, upper Royal and other areas. Once housing comes in a significant manner, many of these other businesses will follow.

I noticed that some resurfacing is occurring downtown but all of the major streets downtown can use it. Addressing this signals that the city is serious about maintaining its infrastructure in order to draw visitors and residents alike.

Parking is another major issue and reasonable on-the-street parking meters are needed.

Just a few ideas off the top of my head.

Old 09-23-2014, 03:20 PM

779 posts, read 1,004,791 times
From a Birminghamian who visits Mobile regularly, I would say that one feature you guys should play up on is your waterfront. I think Birmingham would jump through hips if we could somehow get a waterfront. I'm surprised that a riverwalk or something of that nature has never been done before. I love the nightlife and the condensed feel of the downtown area of Mobile.... This would be a great addition and would probably attract travelers to stop in on their way through.

Old 09-23-2014, 03:51 PM

4,992 posts, read 9,082,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhamoutlook View Post
From a Birminghamian who visits Mobile regularly, I would say that one feature you guys should play up on is your waterfront. I think Birmingham would jump through hips if we could somehow get a waterfront. I'm surprised that a riverwalk or something of that nature has never been done before. I love the nightlife and the condensed feel of the downtown area of Mobile.... This would be a great addition and would probably attract travelers to stop in on their way through.

I agree !! I wish they would turn Cooper park into a river walk. Mobile does not have enough access to water. I think a river walk near Brookley would be great.The water near Brookley is actually clear and not as brackish as the Mobile river passing through downtown. The city can also offer river boat cruises, the Mobile river runs through the entire port of Mobile which is actually busy and fascinating to look at. Now sense the new Maritime museum is up it would be beneficial to add an aquarium to the museum as an extended exhibit. You gave some awesome valid points.

And oh yeah this may be far fetched but it would be awesome if the city would demolish the Metro jail and destroy all of the bail bonds in that area. And that area could be redeveloped back into the residential area that it once was. If I was able to post the buildings and houses that were destroyed for that crap( Metro Jail and Bail bonds) you guys would want to slap who ever was behind it.

Old 09-23-2014, 04:06 PM

4,992 posts, read 9,082,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verve57 View Post
Downtown is fortunate to have many bars and restaurants. Now we need other businesses such as clothing, drug stores, grocery stores, bowling, movie theaters, and other shops that will draw people downtown. In conjunction with this is a need for more housing opportunities along St. Louis Street, upper Royal and other areas. Once housing comes in a significant manner, many of these other businesses will follow.

I noticed that some resurfacing is occurring downtown but all of the major streets downtown can use it. Addressing this signals that the city is serious about maintaining its infrastructure in order to draw visitors and residents alike.

Parking is another major issue and reasonable on-the-street parking meters are needed.

Just a few ideas off the top of my head.

Again another great point ! Yes downtown has a several bars and eateries and I would consider our entertainment district to be solid but it would be nice to have a large movie theater downtown.Even though we have a really nice indie theater. St.Louis street would be perfect for a theater,bowling alley drug and grocery stores. As I stated before the redevelopment of St.Louis street will catapult development in the areas surrounding it.

Downtown Mobile was built and developed before the automobile , that's my assumption regarding the parking issue. To combat that issue effectively I would say that the current surface lots need to be raised 3-5 levels or more ,and the spaces need to be metered just like on the curb parking is and free after 5 and on weekends. The raised parking lots should blend in with the architecture of downtown giving the appearance of a an actual building and not a parking garage.

Parking garage concepts:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-ggKw7ocB8e...0/DSCN3341.JPG

http://www.spur.org/sites/default/fi...0polk%20st.jpg

http://hugeasscity.com/images/Boston...ing_Garage.jpg

Old 09-23-2014, 09:35 PM

1,892 posts, read 3,070,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhamoutlook View Post
Hi Outlook,
Nice to see you in Mobile.

Next time you are in town, take a look around. As Alabama's only deep water port on the Gulf of Mexico, the state has voraciously developed its docks along the Mobile River and islands, and all along the waterfront. There are Austal and many other immovable obstacles to creating more than an industrial feeling along the waterfront. Water Street, the Convention Center and the wonderful State Cruise Dock and the small adjacent park are all that give the water front any pedestrian appeal. And yet, even the dock and CC, not to mention Water Street actually contribute to the isolation from the waterfront.

Many of us have discussed this. It is a problem if one loves the city, and we do. But it has limited doable solutions. The only things that seem changeable within reason are so far south that they are not truly downtown.

The tunnels and roadways make it easy to not realize you are even in a city on the water until you come up on the Bayway. It is all regrettable. But someday, perhaps something drastic will happen.

I have previously suggested the terraced green space leading from the government plaza area to the waterfront above ground and over all the roadways like they did with the viaduct in blocking the waterfront in Seattle. (a gorgeous solution)

Old 09-24-2014, 01:58 AM

40 posts, read 55,065 times
Thanks guys. Your ideas are all really great. I just came into a good sum of money and wanted to invest in a business downtown.

Old 09-24-2014, 12:16 PM

779 posts, read 1,004,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raj kapoor View Post
Hi Outlook,
Nice to see you in Mobile.

Next time you are in town, take a look around. As Alabama's only deep water port on the Gulf of Mexico, the state has voraciously developed its docks along the Mobile River and islands, and all along the waterfront. There are Austal and many other immovable obstacles to creating more than an industrial feeling along the waterfront. Water Street, the Convention Center and the wonderful State Cruise Dock and the small adjacent park are all that give the water front any pedestrian appeal. And yet, even the dock and CC, not to mention Water Street actually contribute to the isolation from the waterfront.

Many of us have discussed this. It is a problem if one loves the city, and we do. But it has limited doable solutions. The only things that seem changeable within reason are so far south that they are not truly downtown.

The tunnels and roadways make it easy to not realize you are even in a city on the water until you come up on the Bayway. It is all regrettable. But someday, perhaps something drastic will happen.

I have previously suggested the terraced green space leading from the government plaza area to the waterfront above ground and over all the roadways like they did with the viaduct in blocking the waterfront in Seattle. (a gorgeous solution)
Hi, Raj! Great to see you in Mobile also.

I absolutely love Mobile and the charm that it has. The downtown dining and nightlife area is always very fun. They have done quite well with revitalizing a downtown that I understand went through some pretty tough decades of blight. It's quite charming now... and I wish I had been able to see what Old Mobile was like before so many things were destroyed for newer development.

You make some great points that I've never thought about, Raj. I guess I never noticed the limited access to the waterfront. I'm sure that has been discussed many times. Maybe the newly planned I-10 bridge will free up some space along the waterfront somehow? I know that's far in the distance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
View detailed profiles of: