Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2015, 03:14 PM

687 posts, read 1,198,420 times

Advertisements

Are you serious? Nail/tanning salons and other service-oriented businesses have been strip mall tenants for decades. You might want to take a closer look at the tenant roster of some of the area's shopping centers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2015, 08:37 PM

67 posts, read 111,880 times
I think you completely miss the point as do the developers. This complex was supposed to be something new and exciting. Something that would attract traffic away from the Eastern Shore shopping complex. And we're supposed to do that with nail salons, tanning beds, barbers, and cell phone stores? Are you kidding me? I have taken a close look at the tenant roster of the area's shopping centers but this place was supposed to be different, not the same. No one will give up the shopping experience across the bay for this crap. Good grief.

Old 01-03-2015, 09:48 PM

4,992 posts, read 9,084,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Morgan View Post
I think you completely miss the point as do the developers. This complex was supposed to be something new and exciting. Something that would attract traffic away from the Eastern Shore shopping complex. And we're supposed to do that with nail salons, tanning beds, barbers, and cell phone stores? Are you kidding me? I have taken a close look at the tenant roster of the area's shopping centers but this place was supposed to be different, not the same. No one will give up the shopping experience across the bay for this crap. Good grief.
Yep sounds like another strip mall with Cosco as an anchor not a shopping center ! They could have at least put another American Eagle, Foot Locker or something.

Cell Phone shop ? Nail Salon ? Another Sporting goods ? Wow really.

Old 01-03-2015, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Morgan View Post
From almost its inception, McGowin Park was going to resemble every other power center in South Alabama, including the two existing power centers in west Mobile. Beyond Costco, Dick's and Field & Stream, it has the same components as any other power center format developed in the last quarter century. Thus, it's no surprise that adjacent to the row of B-list big box storefronts like Petco and HomeGoods, the smaller in-line tenants would be occupied by conventional niche and service-oriented retailers: day spas/tanning salons, cell phone providers, game stores and even fast casual dining.

Eastern Shore Plaza, the power center at Eastern Shore Centre has the same categories of retailers I just described. Gasp, it even features dollar stores, liquor stores and gun shops. Looking closer, the lifestyle center AND supermarket-anchored community plaza ALSO feature nail/beauty salons and takeout joints.

Last edited by bon_regis; 01-03-2015 at 11:50 PM..

Old 01-04-2015, 12:25 AM

265 posts, read 425,880 times
If instead of Ross Dress For Less, McGowin Park should have gotten a Nordstrom Rack, and not sure the Ross at Festival Center is closing; Mobile is like that in that it has the same mundane retailers down the road, the next exit, across the street, etc. from each other (Belk, Academy, Starbucks, and so on). If Nordstrom Rack actually joins the Festival Center then that would do very well for Bel Air mall given the traffic, the affluent traffic, that it would bring for the area, and therefore, Bel Air mall would be able to attract higher end stores and dining options.

Old 01-05-2015, 12:13 AM

67 posts, read 111,880 times
Are we talking about the same shopping center? I'm talking about the place with the fountains across from Barnes and Nobles. I don't recall liquor stores or gun shops there.

Old 01-05-2015, 12:34 AM

I was referring to Eastern Shore Plaza, the power center right next to Eastern Shore Centre featuring Best Buy, Michael's, Old Navy and other big box stores. If you notice, between the tenants Tuesday Morning and Ashley Furniture SuperStore you'll find: a liquor shop (ABC Store), a gun store (Outpost Elite Gun Shop), a dollar store (Dollar Tree) and other niche retailers (SportClips, Nail Studio, Mattress Direct).

Old 01-06-2015, 01:29 AM

265 posts, read 425,880 times
This is a comparable project to McGowin Park in a comparable market to ours, and Nordstrom Rack and Chuy's are involved!!! Ambassador Town Center mall construction to begin in Lafayette | NOLA.com

Old 01-06-2015, 06:23 AM

4,992 posts, read 9,084,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellowboy View Post
This is a comparable project to McGowin Park in a comparable market to ours, and Nordstrom Rack and Chuy's are involved!!! Ambassador Town Center mall construction to begin in Lafayette | NOLA.com
Yep /\ /\ /\ ! So who sold us short?!

Old 01-06-2015, 08:57 AM

1,497 posts, read 1,835,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PortCity View Post
Yep /\ /\ /\ ! So who sold us short?!
The only real difference I see here is Nordstrom Rack. However, the layout of McGowin Park is better than the Lafayette one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area