Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2015, 11:50 PM

2 posts, read 2,734 times

Advertisements

Anyone have input about working for them and general cost of living in a reasonable commuting area? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2015, 05:46 AM

4,995 posts, read 9,141,028 times
Well Airbus is very new to the area and the plant is almost near completion.I havn't heard anything bad about them. The most reasonable commute would be around the midtown area.There are some great midtown neighborhoods.There are certain west Mobile neighborhoods that could possibly be convenient. It all depends on what you are looking for.Do you have kids ? Do you want to live in a historic tight nit community ? Do you prefer a suburban style communtiy?

Old 03-04-2015, 08:22 AM

446 posts, read 677,867 times
I have a few cousins in training across the pond for them. They have experience working on aircraft, they worked for MAE which is also on brookley field and Continental. He said most people they are training and or hiring are going to be the ones that worked for MAE or other aircraft builders. Airbus has a conflict of interest clause where if you work for competition or a similar company you will not be looked at. Its kind of like the plants on Hwy 43 most of that same clause if a person is looking to switch companies. So many people applied for the production side that dont have experience they will more than likely be the last ones hired on because of the training headache ......My mom from DIP and i got family on both sides of the I-10 overpass there are a few people buying up property because of airbus. My grandma and others on my granddad side own land on DIP and around the waterfront and a few people have contacted them about property. If you get a job there and want too live close I say the look at the bottom end of DIP where Dog River and Hollingers Island meet. No crime at all once you get pass Hannon Rd and the old South Brookley Elementary. Its a lot of old people people with money that stay at the bottom end of DIP hell thats where AJ Mccarron is from and parents still live there. If you want to live in west Mobile/DAWES-Airport area going the back way to Brookley catching I-10 at the dogtrack or I-10 at DIP it will take 20-25 mins with moving traffic

Old 03-04-2015, 03:34 PM

59 posts, read 100,171 times
Midtown would be good for working at Airbus. You can take Broad St., Michigan Ave, or I-10 and get there in a few minutes. Spanish Fort or Daphne are also not bad commutes since Brookley is right off the interstate.

Old 03-06-2015, 08:43 AM

310 posts, read 386,637 times
I thought about taking a position with Airbus but they stated that it requires 6 months training abroad. I wasn't going to leave my wife and daughter for that!

Old 03-21-2015, 01:08 AM

2 posts, read 2,734 times
What is the pay and rooming situation like overseas? I know BA pays better. The 6 month overseas is a big negative for most. Anyone in the Flight readiness technician spot or or is all the hiring in assembly? Thanks.

Old 03-24-2015, 04:54 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,538,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lem1985 View Post
If you get a job there and want too live close I say the look at the bottom end of DIP where Dog River and Hollingers Island meet.
This is exactly what I was thinking when I scanned thru this article. I grew up in Mobile and fondly remember that area. It really should be a nice area!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area