Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2015, 12:23 PM

64 posts, read 164,640 times

Advertisements

Hey ya'll.

I absolutely love Mobile. we visit there all the time, & we have finally decided to move there in the near future. I am already so familiar with Mobile that my username has "mob town" in it.

One thing that kinda has me worried is the bad crime reputation that Mobile has. I already know that Crichton & Orange Grove aren't the best neighborhoods. Could you tell me the best & the worst neighborhoods in Mobile? I'm not trying to make a negative thread, I'm not that stubborn to think that it's all over the city, but I just need to know this so I can avoid these areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2015, 09:54 PM

275 posts, read 535,913 times
We've lived here most of the last 40 years, in two different West Mobile neighborhoods off Hillcrest Road. We've never had a problem.

Old 11-15-2015, 07:55 AM

5,000 posts, read 9,147,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mob Town Mane View Post
Hey ya'll.

I absolutely love Mobile. we visit there all the time, & we have finally decided to move there in the near future. I am already so familiar with Mobile that my username has "mob town" in it.

One thing that kinda has me worried is the bad crime reputation that Mobile has. I already know that Crichton & Orange Grove aren't the best neighborhoods. Could you tell me the best & the worst neighborhoods in Mobile? I'm not trying to make a negative thread, I'm not that stubborn to think that it's all over the city, but I just need to know this so I can avoid these areas.
The crime rate in my opinion from a statistical point of view along with outher spetrics is blown out of proportion. Regarding statistics , do you know the murder rate for the Mobile police jurisdiction that covers 250k citizens ? ? It is currently a whopping 24 ! Yes 24 ! Last year the city ended with 31 homicides. As of right now I don't see the city ending with that this year. Through out the past Mobile's murder rate averaged low to mid 30's.

Another aspect one have to put in consideration is that majority of the crimes commited are in certain areas. And 90% of the time it is based on the life style that one has choosen to live.

I grew up in one of Mobile's most dangerous neghborhoods which is known as the " bottom" area. Which is the neghborhood surrounding Orange Grove. For the 12 years we lived there ,we were never victims of crime. Though there were crime around us we were never caught in it. My parents worked hard and built a house from the ground up in West Mobile because we wanted better. It boils my blood when those who are not well travled or lack knowledge stamp Mobile as a dengerous city and I know that it is not. Especially compared to cities that are similar in size.

Mobile is a good place my friend.

Old 11-15-2015, 11:36 AM

489 posts, read 463,479 times
I live in midtown near the corner of Ann and Government. Old Dauphin Way and Oakliegh are pretty safe! My wife, baby, and I often take walks in the evening without fear or worry about becoming a victim. My neighbors and I have never been a victim of a crime.

Old 11-15-2015, 01:40 PM

240 posts, read 466,256 times
Midtown is a good area, especially if you're less conservative. More of your young, progressive people live out there. West Mobile is super nice, especially around hillcrest and cody. the more west, the more suburban. it's just according to your taste, really. there are also many small towns outside of Mobile, such as Grand Bay, Irvington, Semmes, Saraland, and Satsuma that are nice as well.

Old 11-15-2015, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortCity View Post

I grew up in one of Mobile's most dangerous neghborhoods which is known as the " bottom" area.
Is that the Fisher/Owens area?

Old 11-15-2015, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Is that the Fisher/Owens area?
I'm not familure with the Fisher/Owens area but it's off of MLK Avenue acorss from Bishop State Community college. My parents are still in West Mobile and my wife and I live in midtown. We love midtown and have never been victims of crime.

Last edited by PortCity; 11-15-2015 at 08:27 PM..

Old 11-16-2015, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortCity View Post
I'm not familure with the Fisher/Owens area but it's off of MLK Avenue acorss from Bishop State Community college.
Yep, that's the Owens neighborhood

Google Map of Owens:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ow...1ac7566dd22924

Old 11-16-2015, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Yep, that's the Owens neighborhood

Google Map of Owens:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ow...1ac7566dd22924
Wow I never knew that ! lol , the Ownes area is know as the "Bottom" and the Fisher ( never knew that one either) is know as the historic" Camp Ground "area.I lived on Hercules street and my grandparents lived on Pecan street. The Fisher area is know as camp ground because it was a camp ground for Civil War soldiers and the shot gun houses were owned by slaves.

Old 12-02-2015, 08:22 PM

Ok so Crichton, Orange Grove, The Bottom, & Camp Ground are all bad neighborhoods but are there anymore that I should avoid?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area