Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2015, 11:07 PM

5,003 posts, read 9,157,880 times

Advertisements

70 on Christmas would not shock me at all it has happened in the past. I met a lady who transfered to Mobile through Costco and she came from the Tampa market.Suprisingly she told me that it has gotten down to the 20s before. Tampa's coldest temp in 2014 was 34 degrees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2015, 11:38 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,973,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PortCity View Post
70 on Christmas would not shock me at all it has happened in the past. I met a lady who transfered to Mobile through Costco and she came from the Tampa market.Suprisingly she told me that it has gotten down to the 20s before. Tampa's coldest temp in 2014 was 34 degrees.
Sure it gets down to the 20's there. It doesn't happen very often though. Some years not at all (as you even pointed out with last year's coldest temp). All-time coldest temperature in Tampa is 18 and 20 for St. Petersburg. Quite cold, even if it is temporary.

So back to the OP's post, if it can get that cold in Central Florida, you can bet it has the potential to get as cold in LA (Lower Alabama). More typically, it'll dip to the 30s and 40s on those colder nights.

Old 12-11-2015, 05:06 AM

5,003 posts, read 9,157,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
So back to the OP's post, if it can get that cold in Central Florida, you can bet it has the potential to get as cold in LA (Lower Alabama). More typically, it'll dip to the 30s and 40s on those colder nights.

Yeah that's true.

Old 12-11-2015, 06:04 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,197,572 times
I remember Tampa getting into the single digits in Jan for a week. Mobile can get really cold but as with most things about the weather it isn't the norm.

Old 12-11-2015, 06:29 AM

4,918 posts, read 6,470,242 times
I was in Tampa last Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve and it was like 70-75 during the day and 50s at night, thats not a winter at all. I heard Mobile does get colder than that.

Old 12-11-2015, 08:34 AM
MPC

703 posts, read 1,267,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
I was in Tampa last Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve and it was like 70-75 during the day and 50s at night, thats not a winter at all. I heard Mobile does get colder than that.
Yes Mobile is typically cold at the time. Last year Christmas eve was 64 while Tampa was a nice 79 degrees. Gotta love Florida in the winter.

Old 12-12-2015, 05:33 PM

135 posts, read 134,757 times
Quote:
I was about to say something, but you beat me to it. 20 was an exaggeration on his part. Maybe, maaaybe 32. Even that is pushing it for Tampa. Don't get me wrong, it happens, but
No, that was NOT an exaggeration. The coldest temperature when I lived in Tampa was 23 degrees, with a windchill of 5 degrees. The high only made it to 47. Temps in the 20s only happened I think twice, but they happened. We had a record low for that day. Are you saying that the weather was lying, as well as my personal experience of living there?

And I wasn't asking if its never been cold in Mobile, of course it has, I was asking if winters, on average, are warm like in Florida.

Last edited by TheDaveMaybe; 12-12-2015 at 05:42 PM..

Old 12-12-2015, 06:06 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,462,510 times
Quote:
Just because Mobile is near Florida does not automatically make it not cold. North and even Central Florida experience cold temperatures regularly during winter.

What you consider cold is relative, however.
Cold is relative to people perhaps, but not to plants. People from Miami can consider 65 cold all they want, but it won't cause leaves to turn red and fall off, nor will it cause frost

I'd reckon Mobile gets cold enough for at least some trees to winterise. How do I know? Well, I may have only been to Mobile in summer but I've been in North Florida in winter plenty of times, and it's cold enough that a good amount of trees lose their leaves. That's the best way to say if somewhere gets proper cold, even if it's not as intense as up north or for as long.

Old 12-12-2015, 06:12 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,462,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPC View Post
Yes Mobile is typically cold at the time. Last year Christmas eve was 64 while Tampa was a nice 79 degrees. Gotta love Florida in the winter.

I hate Florida in the winter, it's too warm lol Hell, north Texas is still too warm now, for December. Our highs should be in the 50s and lows in the 30s and now it's like 70s and lows around 60. Thanks Obama (JK, it's Gore's fault!) There goes the chance of a white Christmas like in 2012.

Old 12-13-2015, 05:18 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,973,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDaveMaybe View Post
No, that was NOT an exaggeration. The coldest temperature when I lived in Tampa was 23 degrees, with a windchill of 5 degrees. The high only made it to 47. Temps in the 20s only happened I think twice, but they happened. We had a record low for that day. Are you saying that the weather was lying, as well as my personal experience of living there?

And I wasn't asking if its never been cold in Mobile, of course it has, I was asking if winters, on average, are warm like in Florida.
Dude, chill. 20 degrees is colder than 23 even if it IS 3 degrees difference. THAT is what I was referring to and YES, it IS an exaggeration, if only by 3 degrees.

This subject has been beaten to a pulp at this point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
View detailed profiles of: