Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2016, 07:48 PM

562 posts, read 665,944 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by preguntas View Post
Brookwood is the flagship in Birmingham, and carries a better selection not to mention it has a full store for homes. Galleria would be the one to go, but actually both stores are busy but with different types of clientele. I will be surprised if either goes. Some markets mentioned above became Macy's through buyouts and others are overbuilt. Since that did not happen here, the market seems good. Especially since Birmingham does not whole heartedly embrace Belk.

I see what you mean there. If Riverchase was to lose their Macy's, it would be yet ANOTHER anchor to fill. Could Belk find a way to make it work?

Tallahassee....their Macy's is in the good mall there. I think it originally opened as a Maas Brothers, and became a Burdines later when they were merged. By both of their footprints, it was a VERY far-flung location (since they were all in Florida). Still as a Macy's, it's the only one between Ocala and New Orleans.

Had Rich's ever found their way further south, we could have ended up with one. Either that, or had Springdale never had a Montgomery Ward that became a Burlington. But it still would have been a far-flung gamble for May Company or Federated to have opened here at the time, that is, unless the entire Gayfers division been sold to May Company like they did with The Jones Store in Kansas City.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2016, 05:10 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,605,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemon85 View Post
If some of y'all still holding out for a Macy's don't hold your breath. They just announced they are closing 14% of its stores basically 100 stores. Macy's is struggling outta all dept stores. Here in Atlanta area 3 of Macy's stores may close 2 already early last year. Von Maur would be a nice fit in the Mobile area
If they're closing stores I'm pretty sure they have put a freeze on opening new ones. They are probably doing like other retailers and focusing more on online sales.

Old 08-12-2016, 06:11 AM

55 posts, read 69,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
If they're closing stores I'm pretty sure they have put a freeze on opening new ones. They are probably doing like other retailers and focusing more on online sales.
I know I'm 2014 they closed some stores but was opening up new ones. I think it's new one in Florida but I went to the website I didn't see any new ones for 2017/2018

Old 08-18-2016, 11:10 AM

290 posts, read 382,773 times
Did K-Mart close down yet?

Old 08-18-2016, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokoroanime View Post
Did K-Mart close down yet?
I believe so. I drove by last weekend and the lights were off and the parking lot was empty.

Old 08-20-2016, 01:33 AM

I noticed a construction fence has gone around the former Cheddar's on Airport Blvd. Any idea what could be replacing it?
It would seem foolish to demolish it and start over again since the building is just under 4 years old.

Old 08-20-2016, 05:39 PM

5,002 posts, read 9,154,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edtv411 View Post
I noticed a construction fence has gone around the former Cheddar's on Airport Blvd. Any idea what could be replacing it?
It would seem foolish to demolish it and start over again since the building is just under 4 years old.
I was told that BJ Brew House will build on that location instead of Mcgowin.

Old 08-20-2016, 07:44 PM

265 posts, read 428,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PortCity View Post
I was told that BJ Brew House will build on that location instead of Mcgowin.
Is this for sure? How about Red Robin burger is that coming anywhere? What will exactly come to Mcgowin Park?

Old 08-20-2016, 08:58 PM

290 posts, read 382,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellowboy View Post
Is this for sure? How about Red Robin burger is that coming anywhere? What will exactly come to Mcgowin Park?
There isn't enough room for Red Robin.

Old 09-05-2016, 09:53 PM

688 posts, read 1,205,930 times
Looks like Krystal is developing a new eatery on University Boulevard near Campus Quarters.

Krystal's LDI Line
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area