U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2020, 01:08 PM

652 posts, read 964,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carter 1977 View Post
If it is, then Mobile needs to try harder. That’s not a true upscale shopping center like the Summit or Bridge Street. That is what... maybe 10 stores? I comment on the Birmingham and Huntsville forums as well. Mainly because I’m a huge Alabama homer and want to see ALL 3 of Alabama’s major cities prosper. The Mobile/Baldwin market needs a Macy’s, Trader Joe’s, Apple Store, Cheesecake Factory, Tory Burch.. you catch my drift. Go to the website of any upscale mall/shopping center in the country and you’ll see the usual list of stores. Savannah, GA and a few other metros smaller than Mobile have these stores. Mobile has to start working now to position itself as the anchor city of the Mobile/Baldwin/Pensacola metro that will exist in a few decades (if Baldwin county keeps growing at its current rate, more and more rural areas in Baldwin will become subdivisions and this will happen).
Many of the higher end specialty stores aren’t in expansion mode, and several are trying to trim existing number of stores and enter bankruptcy. Can you image an open air center with J. Crew, Sur La Table, Ann Taylor and Brooks Brothers as tenants?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2020, 02:20 AM

470 posts, read 451,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bon_regis View Post
Many of the higher end specialty stores aren’t in expansion mode, and several are trying to trim existing number of stores and enter bankruptcy. Can you image an open air center with J. Crew, Sur La Table, Ann Taylor and Brooks Brothers as tenants?

I think the ship has sailed on better retail options for a few years. The renovation of Bel Air Mall was years too late, and screwed up more than it brought in. Here we are 5 years later and the stores that were "proposed" are no where in sight, and what's gone in has disappeared faster than it came in.

The pandemic makes it that much weirder since some stores are "closed temporarily" with no indication they will ever open again. I'm sure many stores (as their parent companies) skipped rent when they were closed.

My long hope is still for a Trader Joe's, but I'll settle for Aldi at this point. Hopefully in a year or two for them. They seem to have solid plans for Pensacola, and with the two known stores in Baldwin County, expansion to Mobile should be a certainty soon.

Old 07-27-2020, 10:29 PM

652 posts, read 964,467 times
Default JCP/Belk

If this deal is approved, Bel Air and many malls in the region could potentially lose yet another anchor.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/pr...lks-2020-07-27

Old 07-30-2020, 05:03 PM

1 posts, read 548 times
Default Two vacant anchors ahead?

I was thinking about this too and this would leave two adjacent anchors vacant. But could it provide an additional opportunity for more redevelopment? I don’t anticipate another department store coming.

Old 08-06-2020, 06:12 PM

5,126 posts, read 2,836,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bon_regis View Post
If this deal is approved, Bel Air and many malls in the region could potentially lose yet another anchor.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/pr...lks-2020-07-27
JC Penney isn't going to survive anyway. There's not been one here for several years. Nor has there been a Sears store.

Old 08-06-2020, 06:34 PM

5,126 posts, read 2,836,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carter 1977 View Post
If it is, then Mobile needs to try harder. That’s not a true upscale shopping center like the Summit or Bridge Street. That is what... maybe 10 stores? I comment on the Birmingham and Huntsville forums as well. Mainly because I’m a huge Alabama homer and want to see ALL 3 of Alabama’s major cities prosper. The Mobile/Baldwin market needs a Macy’s, Trader Joe’s, Apple Store, Cheesecake Factory, Tory Burch.. you catch my drift. Go to the website of any upscale mall/shopping center in the country and you’ll see the usual list of stores. Savannah, GA and a few other metros smaller than Mobile have these stores. Mobile has to start working now to position itself as the anchor city of the Mobile/Baldwin/Pensacola metro that will exist in a few decades (if Baldwin county keeps growing at its current rate, more and more rural areas in Baldwin will become subdivisions and this will happen).
It's hard to believe that Mobile doesn't have an Apple store. The area is certainly big enough. There's even one in Jackson, MS, a smaller city (the metro may be a little larger but it encompasses 7 counties that cover many square miles, and Mobile only has 2 counties and Washington County isn't very large). The one here is always full of people.

Old 08-13-2020, 09:24 PM

45 posts, read 13,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
It's hard to believe that Mobile doesn't have an Apple store. The area is certainly big enough. There's even one in Jackson, MS, a smaller city (the metro may be a little larger but it encompasses 7 counties that cover many square miles, and Mobile only has 2 counties and Washington County isn't very large). The one here is always full of people.
Agree. Jackson and Mobile seem to me to be peer cities when you factor in both city proper and metro area population, yet Jackson, through Highland Village and Renaissance at Colony Park, offers much more in terms of higher-end options than Mobile. I don't even think Huntsville offers as much in this area. Maybe Jackson punches above its class because its the be-all, end-all in Mississippi whereas Mobile is third in Alabama behind Birmingham and Huntsville. Maybe Mobile is hurt in this regard by its proximity to New Orleans and there is the assumption that people who live in the Alabama coastal counties will drive there for higher-end shopping. Trader Joe's and an Apple Store would be at the top of my get list if I were the movers and shakers in Mobile and Baldwin counties.

Last edited by tmullen99; 08-13-2020 at 09:35 PM..

Old 08-14-2020, 08:53 AM

4,045 posts, read 7,101,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmullen99 View Post
Agree. Jackson and Mobile seem to me to be peer cities when you factor in both city proper and metro area population, yet Jackson, through Highland Village and Renaissance at Colony Park, offers much more in terms of higher-end options than Mobile. I don't even think Huntsville offers as much in this area. Maybe Jackson punches above its class because its the be-all, end-all in Mississippi whereas Mobile is third in Alabama behind Birmingham and Huntsville. Maybe Mobile is hurt in this regard by its proximity to New Orleans and there is the assumption that people who live in the Alabama coastal counties will drive there for higher-end shopping. Trader Joe's and an Apple Store would be at the top of my get list if I were the movers and shakers in Mobile and Baldwin counties.

You are right a lot of people do drive to New Orleans and shop high end from Mobile and Baldwin. Outside of Foley I'm shocked that the Eaternshore area doesn't have any high end shopping.

Old 08-14-2020, 03:21 PM

241 posts, read 259,172 times
Stein Mart is soon to have a closing sale as Stein Mart will be closing all stores after filing for Bankruptcy, which store should take over their room? Five Below or another arcade/sports bar that use serious social distancing guidelines,

Old 08-15-2020, 10:32 PM

262 posts, read 350,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokoroanime View Post
Stein Mart is soon to have a closing sale as Stein Mart will be closing all stores after filing for Bankruptcy, which store should take over their room? Five Below or another arcade/sports bar that use serious social distancing guidelines,
The exit of Stein Mart should mean that it is prime time to get a Nordstrom Rack (the smaller discount, yet upscale, store concept for Nordstrom) in its spot, in combination with Whole Foods already being there, this will make PineBrook Shopping Center even more denominational and to attract other coveted restaurants/stores.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or