Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2016, 02:56 PM

13 posts, read 19,789 times

Advertisements

I have a few questions for the locals who were born in Alabama, especially the Daphne area.

I am looking to relocate after retirement for career and better quality of life.

I have noticed a lot of people moving from out of state to the greater area.

Will I be a 'fish out of water' in the area. Born Native Mid-South and have those annoying habits (according to out of state moving into greater Nashville area); such as having a very pronounced Southern accent (pronounce Mobile as Moe-bill).

I prefer outdoors and community events that do not require getting trashed and trashing my city.

Any help from locals, feel free to speak in a straight-forward Southern manner. In other words, no name calling or insults. Just replies I can use to decide whether greater Daphne, AL area is for me or mark off my list of cities.

Will check back next week after my work week,

Thanks ya'll!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2016, 05:51 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,259,110 times
You are a certified, bonafide, Southerner. If you can pronounce "y'all" properly, you are good to go.

Old 09-22-2016, 11:53 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,422,019 times
Mo-beel.
Say it right.

Old 09-23-2016, 10:14 AM

4 posts, read 3,292 times
Default There is a caste system most everywhere but if you want

to move this way the eastern shore is the better bet. You can be an outlier and be amongst others. The blue bloods came over from Mobile and still hold onto that old social strata.
Mobile can be a tough room if you want to brak in to the system.

Old 09-23-2016, 01:23 PM

1,501 posts, read 1,858,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masbama View Post
to move this way the eastern shore is the better bet. You can be an outlier and be amongst others. The blue bloods came over from Mobile and still hold onto that old social strata.
Mobile can be a tough room if you want to brak in to the system.
This is not correct. At all. The Eastern Shore is a much more insular society...

Old 09-24-2016, 08:06 AM

9,694 posts, read 7,391,525 times
daphne ok, but hunting outdoors, I be in bay minette. retirement fairhope

Old 09-25-2016, 07:49 AM

44 posts, read 60,499 times
Most people already here, much less those moving in, could not care less about "breaking into" the redneck insular so-called "societies" in Mobile or the Eastern Shore so it seems pretty silly to even mention that. Most people would not give a flip about that nonsense. That was 40 years ago. Unless you are an inveterate social climber, the quality of life here is great and there is plenty of activities outdoors otherwise and the good people.

Old 09-27-2016, 11:02 AM

46 posts, read 50,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshinefromTN View Post
I have a few questions for the locals who were born in Alabama, especially the Daphne area.

I am looking to relocate after retirement for career and better quality of life.

I have noticed a lot of people moving from out of state to the greater area.

Will I be a 'fish out of water' in the area. Born Native Mid-South and have those annoying habits (according to out of state moving into greater Nashville area); such as having a very pronounced Southern accent (pronounce Mobile as Moe-bill).

I prefer outdoors and community events that do not require getting trashed and trashing my city.

Any help from locals, feel free to speak in a straight-forward Southern manner. In other words, no name calling or insults. Just replies I can use to decide whether greater Daphne, AL area is for me or mark off my list of cities.

Will check back next week after my work week,

Thanks ya'll!
Hello Sunshine. As a long time Alabama resident, here is my take.

Huntsville: pros - cost of living, high income, diversity, red neck friendly, low crime...

Birmingham: NO

Mobile: pros - more to do than any other place in state, cost of living, redneck friendly...

Old 09-30-2016, 03:36 AM

7 posts, read 8,173 times
It is a wonderful place. You must want to climb higher ladders to sort of say"mix" its a good thing. Great school systems teach the children strict vorriculumns and lots of outdoors activities. Side walks. Yes this is def a retirement city. Its not for a younger crowd "sort a say" who wants a fast life. Not to many minorities. Fasts past. I grew up their and they have good social background. Lots of opportunities if you want to make good money, like sunbathing, n walking your dogs.

Old 09-30-2016, 06:12 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,605,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Love336 View Post
It is a wonderful place. You must want to climb higher ladders to sort of say"mix" its a good thing. Great school systems teach the children strict vorriculumns and lots of outdoors activities. Side walks. Yes this is def a retirement city. Its not for a younger crowd "sort a say" who wants a fast life. Not to many minorities. Fasts past. I grew up their and they have good social background. Lots of opportunities if you want to make good money, like sunbathing, n walking your dogs.
Ugh! What is the point of these stupid posts?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area