Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2016, 02:41 AM

44 posts, read 60,465 times

Advertisements

The farther you get from the water the more rural it is. Anywhere west of I65 and most of Baldwin County is like any town in backcountry Alabama. East of 65 is city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2016, 08:23 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauvillian View Post
The farther you get from the water the more rural it is. Anywhere west of I65 and most of Baldwin County is like any town in backcountry Alabama. East of 65 is city.
Um, no. It's congested from I-65 west all the way to Schillingers Road. Baldwin County is getting crowded too in certain areas, it's one of the fastest growing counties in the state.

Old 10-22-2016, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Um, no. It's congested from I-65 west all the way to Schillingers Road. Baldwin County is getting crowded too in certain areas, it's one of the fastest growing counties in the state.
Talking about people and culture (or lack thereof), not traffic.

Old 10-25-2016, 10:06 PM

6 posts, read 16,559 times
I checked out some property in Baldwin County, I'm coming down in Dec to check around some areas in Mobile. I dont mind rural but I dont want to take a chance when it comes to services being that I work from home. When I checked for internet services in Baldwin Co most of it was with ATT UVerse, in my case I would need High Speed cable internet because I'll be using a VPN to connect to my job in California, tried VPN with UVerse and just didnt work. So my options are slim now and seems like I have to go to the Mobile Area.

Old 10-26-2016, 06:43 AM

1,498 posts, read 1,855,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmt713 View Post
I checked out some property in Baldwin County, I'm coming down in Dec to check around some areas in Mobile. I dont mind rural but I dont want to take a chance when it comes to services being that I work from home. When I checked for internet services in Baldwin Co most of it was with ATT UVerse, in my case I would need High Speed cable internet because I'll be using a VPN to connect to my job in California, tried VPN with UVerse and just didnt work. So my options are slim now and seems like I have to go to the Mobile Area.
To be sure, I'd stick with Comcast (in Mobile) or Mediacom (outside of Mobile proper and Baldwin County). To be doubly sure, you could check out fiber (Southern Light).

Old 10-26-2016, 03:11 PM
MPC

703 posts, read 1,266,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsky View Post
To be sure, I'd stick with Comcast (in Mobile) or Mediacom (outside of Mobile proper and Baldwin County). To be doubly sure, you could check out fiber (Southern Light).
Southern Light doesn't provide services to homes, even when used for business. It would be nice though.

Old 10-26-2016, 06:22 PM

1 posts, read 1,637 times
I live in Semmes been here all my life and had no problems of being safe. I love the country life. My husband and I live on family property of 40 acres on a private road. We love our animals and wildlife. It takes about 30 min to get to downtown Mobile but, we seldom go down there. We shop around our community here. So it's going to depend on if you want to live in the city or in the country. And Baldwin county pretty much is the same way except you have to deal with crossing over the bayway or causeway to get there. And that is a total nightmare! Good luck.

Old 11-13-2016, 11:12 AM

9 posts, read 23,481 times
We have DSL in the middle of a rural area. I VPN in for work as well and don't usually have issues.
We are getting 33 down and 5 up out here. So I wouldn't rule out a area just because there isn't cable internet service. If you find something you like, call the provider and see what they can provide.

The bayway isn't so bad if you time your commute well. Unless there is an accident and then all bets are off.
Sundays going west over the bay in the summer suck with all the summer beach traffic going home though.

We have both commuted into Mobile for work in the past.
We are 10 mins to the Wilcox exit and our commutes were 40 mins to the Brookley Complex and about 50 mins to I65 dauphin st exit.
If you stay closer to the bay, your husband's commute won't be too bad into Mobile.

Old 12-25-2016, 05:51 PM

20 posts, read 17,023 times
Default Moving

Hello all I'm in Harselle Al by way of Jax Fl and we are thinking about moving to the Mobile area. My husband is retired because of a health disability, and we still have a 14 yr old son who is homeschooled. My questions are what are the areas to avoid and is this a teenage area, meaning are there lots of outdoor activities. My son likes a little of everything , hiking swimming , basketball , but he also plays the piano and likes to draw. We would rent at first and would like to stay at $1100 or less , is that doable for a decent home or even apartment. Thanks for the replies , we plan to make a move in Jan , I'll be coming down for a look see in a couple of weeks. Again thanks for any replies and advice.

Old 12-26-2016, 07:17 AM

Having plenty of outdoor activities is one of Mobile's biggest assets - on both water and land. Areas to avoid should be obvious when driving but anywhere in the wedge between Springhill Ave. and Government St. (including Oakleigh) is good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
View detailed profiles of: