Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2020, 06:56 PM

8 posts, read 7,728 times

Advertisements

Possibly moving to the Mobile area. About us: professional married couple, kid, dog. Not willing to sacrifice my kids education for this move. We like food, outdoor living, and dog/horse friendly. Moving from the NE.
Does this area (or surrounding areas for horse) offer that?
Where am I sending my kid to school? Public vs Private?

Thank you ahead of time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2020, 12:19 AM

163 posts, read 297,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usernamezero View Post
Possibly moving to the Mobile area. About us: professional married couple, kid, dog. Not willing to sacrifice my kids education for this move. We like food, outdoor living, and dog/horse friendly. Moving from the NE.

Thank you ahead of time!
Native of Alabama and keep up a good bit with the goings on and have relatives in Coastal Alabama. I'm going to make an educated guess ( others will confirm ) that Baldwin County ( Eastern Shore of Mobile Bay....think Fairhope, Daphne, Foley , Orange Beach/Gulf Shores ) is best bet for good public education, mainly because it is the fastest growing area of Alabama, with the caveat that much of the population growth is from retirees who may be less willing to fund secondary education ( so, I'm not being much help here possibly ) And, will say that private education may be your best bet in Mobile County.

All of your other criteria can be easily met in either County ( Mobile vs Baldwin ) imho

Hope this is helpful.

Carpe

Old 07-13-2020, 07:34 AM

426 posts, read 382,707 times
The Saraland or Spanish Fort sounds like a hit for you.

Saraland is relatively new in its growth, but its school system is doing really well. You can get lots of space for you money there and you're a quick drive to Mobile which is seeing a boom in its food/beer/culture aspect downtown.

Spanish Fort is similar to Saraland, but more developed in terms of school systems. Its further away from Mobile and you will learn to hate the Bayway/Causeway if you want to make it that way for work/leisure.

Mobile's private schools are great, but you will be hardpressed to find enough land for a horse within the city limits.

Old 07-13-2020, 08:11 AM

13,619 posts, read 7,932,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usernamezero View Post

Thank you ahead of time!
Food, outdoor living, and dog/horse friendly, yes!

Education? Maybe

The Mobile area has fantastic food options - particularly seafood (no surprise!). Woodlands and water abound for all kinds of outdoor recreation. Plenty of pasture land for horses.

The Mobile area is generally considered to be the two counties that form Alabama's "panhandle". The counties are divided by Mobile Bay. Mobile County is the west side of the bay, and Baldwin County is the east side.

School districts in Alabama are generally contiguous with the county boundaries, but some cities do have their own independent school districts. Baldwin County schools are considered some of the best in the state, and definitely superior to Mobile County. Within Mobile County, the city of Saraland has its own independent school district which is well-regarded, but it would be difficult to find land for a horse within the city limits.

Mobile does have very good private and parochial schools.

Old 07-17-2020, 08:50 PM

19 posts, read 23,042 times
What age are your kids? The quality of education in Mobile County largely depends on what school district you're in. Davidson High School and Murphy High School both run IB programs. Alabama School of Math and Science would provide your kid(s) with the best high school education in the area but it is far from a traditional high school. Barton Academy is supposed to open next year and it should also provide a high-quality education. AP classes are available at all public high schools in Mobile County. Phillips Preparatory School and Clark-Shaw Magnet School are probably the best two middle schools in the Mobile area.

If I were you, I would try to find land in the Baker High School area. Depending on your kid's age, do your best to get them into Phillips or Clark, and then IB at Murphy or Davidson. IF IB doesn't work out, you have AP classes at Baker, which is still an exceptional high school. The main downside to this would be that Davidson would probably be a 25-30 minute drive and Murphy would probably be close to a 45 minute drive depending on traffic. You would also be 30+ minutes from the many food options in downtown. Another option could be to buy a suburban home and rent stable space. If you go this route, I would look along Hillcrest road, Grelot road, or in the Springhill area. You would be close enough to groceries, shopping, and food options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area