Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2020, 02:34 PM

8 posts, read 7,723 times

Advertisements

Considering a move to the Fairhope area...

About us:
My husband and I are both professionals and we have a young child.
Schools are very important, so would love to get opinions on public vs private schools. What's the re-districting buzz?

We are not religious, will not be joining a church...so wondering if we are going to be hard-pressed to fit in.

Our likes include good food and outdoor recreation/lifestyle. I'd personally love some acreage for horses, but not sure my husband wants to be that far out...thoughts?

Our dog is part of our family...is the area dog-friendly at all?

What's the deal with high-speed internet?...there seems to be a lot of buzz on the forum about it or the lack thereof it.

Is the Fairhope/Daphne area best for a youngish family? What about Foley? or even down by the beach?

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2020, 03:13 PM

13,611 posts, read 7,924,448 times
Fairhope sounds perfect for you.

Fairhope's public schools have a very good reputation, but there are private parochial schools on the eastern shore as well.

The town is a bit of an anomaly for the region. It's a bit "crunchy" and not particularly religious. I don't think you'll have a problem fitting in due to lack of religious interest.

I'm sure you could find acreage out towards Silverhill/Robertsdale, but that may put you in a different school district.

I have not heard of any issues with h-s internet there. Maybe in the rural parts of the county, but the Eastern Shore has no such problems.

Any of those areas would be great for a youngish family. It's a matter of personal preference. Fairhope is more high-end - higher income and higher class. The moms tend to drive luxury vehicles (Lexus, Infiniti, MB, etc) and wear designer clothes. Daphne is a bit more middle of the road (Tahoes, minivans), while Foley/Summerdale/Robertsdale would be a step below that - more blue collar.

Old 08-14-2020, 07:43 AM

5,001 posts, read 9,149,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usernamezero View Post
Considering a move to the Fairhope area...

About us:
My husband and I are both professionals and we have a young child.
Schools are very important, so would love to get opinions on public vs private schools. What's the re-districting buzz?

We are not religious, will not be joining a church...so wondering if we are going to be hard-pressed to fit in.

Our likes include good food and outdoor recreation/lifestyle. I'd personally love some acreage for horses, but not sure my husband wants to be that far out...thoughts?

Our dog is part of our family...is the area dog-friendly at all?

What's the deal with high-speed internet?...there seems to be a lot of buzz on the forum about it or the lack thereof it.

Is the Fairhope/Daphne area best for a youngish family? What about Foley? or even down by the beach?

Thanks so much!
I think Daphne is a little more young but both are nice.

Old 09-07-2020, 07:49 AM

2 posts, read 2,715 times
"The moms tend to drive luxury vehicles (Lexus, Infiniti, MB, etc) and wear designer clothes."
You'll find that in any neighborhood now, even housing projects in Mobile.

People have their opinions about how they classify people living in these areas, but there is diversity in all of it. The facts are these:
Fairhope and Daphne are small enough where you will not need to drive a lot of places just to run basic errands, but modern enough to have every type of store or access to them. (You won't find a Home Depot, Lowe's, Target, or Sam's Club in Fairhope, though, for now, but it won't take long to get to Daphne if that is how you like to shop. The closest movie theaters are in Daphne.) It won't take you long to go to a school, a library, and grocery stores. In Mobile, for example, everything is spread out. Driving north-south requires going through two-lane neighborhood streets with no-left-turns, no left turn arrows, lots of stops and long red lights.

Old 09-08-2020, 06:03 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,388,956 times
fairhope, nice, very nice, one of the top in united states
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area