U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 05-11-2022, 09:13 PM
 
2,585 posts, read 2,841,568 times
Reputation: 1255

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InlandWave View Post
LET'S GOOOOOOOOOOO: South Alabama Mega Site reeled in a massive catch!!!! A $2.5 Billion Aluminum Plant is coming to Mobile with 1,000 new manufacturing jobs! After 10 years SAMS in Bay Minette FINALLY landed a company and will be another big boom to the area


https://mynbc15.com/news/local/novel...6rY-d1dP5Cjoio
Interesting that Huntsville was the major competition, glad it did not pick us as the area here is a beautiful area that would suffer from such a massive plant. Glad that it located in Alabama though
https://www.waaytv.com/news/south-al...ac5afad05.html
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-12-2022, 12:00 AM
 
Location: Mobile,Al(the city by the bay)
4,788 posts, read 8,289,579 times
Reputation: 1891
Quote:
Originally Posted by AU HSV View Post
Interesting that Huntsville was the major competition, glad it did not pick us as the area here is a beautiful area that would suffer from such a massive plant. Glad that it located in Alabama though
https://www.waaytv.com/news/south-al...ac5afad05.html
I'm sure it would have been located in an industrial area outside of Huntsville. The plant would not have had any effect on how nice Huntsville is. Just as it doesn't effect how beautiful the coastal area is.

Last edited by PortCity; 05-12-2022 at 12:17 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2022, 04:04 AM
 
2,585 posts, read 2,841,568 times
Reputation: 1255
Quote:
Originally Posted by PortCity View Post
I'm sure it would have been located in an industrial area outside of Huntsville. The plant would not have had any effect on how nice Huntsville is. Just as it doesn't effect how beautiful the coastal area is.
No the area that was being pitched was in the east side of town (Gurley area along US 72), mostly undeveloped other than residential. It was not an industrial park or area like the designated site in Baldwin County which is basically shovel ready.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2022, 06:13 AM
 
Location: Mobile,Al(the city by the bay)
4,788 posts, read 8,289,579 times
Reputation: 1891
Quote:
Originally Posted by AU HSV View Post
No the area that was being pitched was in the east side of town (Gurley area along US 72), mostly undeveloped other than residential. It was not an industrial park or area like the designated site in Baldwin County which is basically shovel ready.
Gotcha !
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2022, 06:48 AM
 
2,585 posts, read 2,841,568 times
Reputation: 1255
Quote:
Originally Posted by PortCity View Post
Gotcha !
It’s a great get and looks like a perfect fit for the Baldwin site, congrats to all involved. These type of developments don’t come along every day.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2022, 09:04 AM
 
Location: Mobile, AL
468 posts, read 368,636 times
Reputation: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by UWF2013 View Post
Land in Bay Minette is still so much cheaper in comparison to all those area's that Bay Minette may capture all of the growth.
True, but the land is cheap for a reason and people that will have household incomes of near $100,000 (assuming double incomes) will drive from more desirable areas. Take TK steel mill in Calvert. Over 1 billion dollar investment and nearly 3,000 jobs at the time. Everyone thought MT Vernon or Millry would boom. But they beaver grew much and are still roughly the same. Most of the employees ended up living in Saraland, Mobile, west Mobile, and Eastern Shore area. Bay Minette is in a better position than Mt Vernon, but suffers from the same stigma. It has poor schools and high poverty. The subdivisions north of Spanish Fort have recently discussed annexation into Spanish Fort to make sure that they aren’t associated with bay minette. Bay minette will benefit, but the economic impact will be spread throughout Baldwin and Mobile Counties.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2022, 11:04 AM
 
Location: Mobile, AL
468 posts, read 368,636 times
Reputation: 207
Its possible that Atmore in nearby Escambia County will get on some of the action!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2022, 07:00 PM
 
Location: Mobile
519 posts, read 257,195 times
Reputation: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by evlb401 View Post
True, but the land is cheap for a reason and people that will have household incomes of near $100,000 (assuming double incomes) will drive from more desirable areas. Take TK steel mill in Calvert. Over 1 billion dollar investment and nearly 3,000 jobs at the time. Everyone thought MT Vernon or Millry would boom. But they beaver grew much and are still roughly the same. Most of the employees ended up living in Saraland, Mobile, west Mobile, and Eastern Shore area. Bay Minette is in a better position than Mt Vernon, but suffers from the same stigma. It has poor schools and high poverty. The subdivisions north of Spanish Fort have recently discussed annexation into Spanish Fort to make sure that they aren’t associated with bay minette. Bay minette will benefit, but the economic impact will be spread throughout Baldwin and Mobile Counties.

Yea I agree, the real growth is likely gonna be Saraland and Satsuma since they are the closest high income cities; Followed by Mobile, Semmes, Loxley, and Spanish Fort, Not sure how much Bay Minette will actually boom
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2022, 08:23 PM
 
Location: Mobile, AL
468 posts, read 368,636 times
Reputation: 207
Maybe, I think Eastern Shore/Loxley will probably benefit the most.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2022, 11:29 PM
 
Location: Mobile
519 posts, read 257,195 times
Reputation: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by UWF2013 View Post
Bay Minette is an actual city, (well, by Alabama standards). Pre 1950's downtown, grid street layout, hospital, city parks, entire school feeder system within the city limits. Mt. Vernon is at best 2 gas stations, a Piggly Wiggly and a dollar general(no offense).

It actually has the infrastructure and the city planning to get this done, seems like the BED

As for the bold, Its possible someone said it, but not likely it will ever happen. Its in Bay Minettes planning district up 225, and already in Loxley city limits at the end of Hwy 31.



Id think Atmore is viewed more negatively than Bay Minette in this context.




Zillow posts the previous sale price of homes, There are bidding wars for homes in bay minette.

here is a home that closed in february for $287,000.Its in the Heritage Oaks subdivision m and was first sold from the original owners in 2013 for 45K, then sold for 49K in late 2013. sold again in August of 2021 for 135K.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...72723131_zpid/

2 months on the market, but a 150K windfall for whoever sold it.

Same subdivision

Built in 2007

Sold for 148,000 in 2021, now pending sale for 220,000

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2...90622219_zpid/

sold in 9 days.

i encourage you to just play around on zillow in the bay minette map. Or even going on to one of the whats happening in Bay Minette Facebook pages. people are moving there just like anywhere else in Baldwin County, the problem is that no one is building new homes here, so the old ones are just selling like hot cakes.

My next door neighbor bought his home in 2011 for , believe it or not, 46K, he sold in June of last year for 150K. probably should have waited another year.
I know Bay Minette is growing, but it still has a few hold backs. It’s the same set up as what happened for the Eastern Shore and Mobile. Mobile was the one that gained industries like Airbus and Austal but it was the Eastern Shore that grew from its proximity to it because of the better schools and the cities already higher Median Household income than Mobile.
This is the same thing, Saraland and Satsuma have the best schools in the Northern half of both counties and both have a far higher median household income than Bay Minette. The heart of the Eastern shore and the rest of southern Baldwin county are fairly far away from Bay Minette (checking google maps it would take the same amount of time to get from Grand Bay to the South Alabama Mega Site than it would to go to it from Foley or Fairhope). Not to mention Saraland is a far more established city than Bay Minette with many more amenities
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2023, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top