Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2021, 11:33 AM

313 posts, read 244,147 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surge0001 View Post
Wow that's wild, I didn't know that, that could definitely bring Escambia county into the metro, especially if/when North Baldwin county were to grow. I'm curious as to why there's no development in north Baldwin County. Sure, you got Bay Minette and unincorporated Stockton but that's it, they are sorta growing but no where near the degree of their southern counterparts. It's not an infrastructure issue they have three exits within about 4 miles of enter Baldwin County (from Mobile County) like what you see on I-10 in the southern part of Baldwin county. Sure it's farther from Mobile proper but both I-65 and I-10 enter from Baldwin County as of right now are 4 lane highways. They both seem over capacity however, I-65 doesn't have that sharp 90 degree turn like I-10 does so the chances of stand still traffic on I-65 is significantly lower. Maybe it's the growth of North Mobile that will be the catalyst.

Honestly growth in North Mobile County seems to be a big catalyst for expanding our metro, that's how we got Washington, and we'll get George County, and possibly get Greene county if Citronelle can pull off a big boy move and rapidly expand itself. Although right now it seems unlikely to happen. Citronelle needs to become self-sufficient, right now it's still heavily reliant on Saraland and Mobile for it's basic needs. Maybe when it finally has a 4 lane highway, bigger developers might be willing to take a shot at citronelle and it can be self sufficient and become a mini urban core and spread influence into west Washington County and then Greene County

As for Jackson County, I think that'll be the longest shot, the lower I-10 corridor is exploding right now, however Jackson County is already self urbanized and has also integrated to Harrison County metro. The population center for Jackson County is in the southwest corner rather than the east with a water shed on the southeast portion of the county, making development there difficult. It's very interesting, when they made Alabama and Mississippi into states they just cut them in half instead of following topography. There's a strip of Mississippi Land that goes from I-10 up to Wilmer that is separated from the rest of Mississippi because of a water shed and is instead connected to Alabama. They should've really given that land to Mobile and divide the land by the topography

Prichard and Saraland are keys to growth for northern mobile county. Prichard city limits holds a good location on 158 so that should help and Saarland is doing it’s thing rn. As for Jackson county, it is the long shot but it’s also no longer part of Gulfport metro. Gulfport’s seems to have more influence west of Harrison county. Pascagoula metro consist of Jackson and George county. Jackson county’s core population is gautier Pascagoula moss point. Ocean springs is doing well on the west side of the county but all the industry and its principal city is in the east. I think we are seeing the beginning of a shift imo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2021, 12:50 PM

1,378 posts, read 1,190,695 times

Yes I know a lot of projects are happening in Bham, but I'm talking strictly the past 2-3 months, I already knew a lot of those projects because I also follow MadeInAlabama. These past 2-3 month, Mobile has been the bread winner for the State with several announced projects such Like the 1300 acre South Alabama Logistics Park, Expanding Distribution Center Imperial Dade, Expanding Coca Cola Distribution Center, Austal Expansion, Chart Industries Facility expansion, Port expansion, a new logistics park by a Canadian company for port of Mobile, a new seafood distribution center, and Aldis Distribution Center are the ones that come from the top of my head that were announced projects in the past 2-3 months and of course there are some that I did not mention. All of which are producing at least 50+ jobs each.

Like I said I don't really recall much talk of projects outside of Single family/multifamily in the other 2 cities. I of course mean absolutely no disrespect, I am not downplaying Huntsville or Bham, I think all three cities have massive potential for greatness. I'm just saying in term of project growth, right now the Mobile area seems to be seizing the day, while Bham and Huntsville seem to be focusing on housing, which is fair and appropriate especially with housing crunch Alabama seems to be facing right now

Last edited by Surge0001; 04-23-2021 at 01:00 PM..

Old 04-23-2021, 12:56 PM

2,081 posts, read 2,115,963 times
Quote:
Yes I know a lot of projects are happening in Bham, but I'm talking strictly the past 2-3 months, I already knew a lot of those projects because I also follow MadeInAlabama. These past 2-3 month, Mobile has been the bread winner for the State with several announced projects such Like the 1300 acre South Alabama Logistics Park, Expanding Distribution Center Imperial Dade, Expanding Coca Cola Distribution Center, Austal Expansion, Chart Industries Facility expansion, Port expansion, a new logistics park by a Canadian company for port of Mobile, a new seafood distribution center, and Aldis Distribution Center are the ones that come from the top of my head that were announced projects in the past 2-3 months and of course there are some that I did not mention. All of which are producing at least 50+ jobs each.

Like I said I don't really recall much talk of projects outside of Single family/multifamily in the other 2 cities. I course I mean absolutely no disrespect, I am not downplaying Huntsville or Bham, I think all three cities have massive potential for greatness. I'm just saying in term of project growth, right now the Mobile area seems to be seizing the day, while Bham and Huntsville seem to be focusing on house, which is fair and appropriate especially with housing crunch Alabama seems to be facing right now
Got'cha. No debating on my part. Just was curious as to why the statement without truly knowing. We all see things total differently. Have a good day.

Last edited by mcalumni01; 04-23-2021 at 01:07 PM..

Old 04-23-2021, 02:53 PM

1,378 posts, read 1,190,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MardiGras251 View Post
[/b]

Prichard and Saraland are keys to growth for northern mobile county. Prichard city limits holds a good location on 158 so that should help and Saarland is doing it’s thing rn. As for Jackson county, it is the long shot but it’s also no longer part of Gulfport metro. Gulfport’s seems to have more influence west of Harrison county. Pascagoula metro consist of Jackson and George county. Jackson county’s core population is gautier Pascagoula moss point. Ocean springs is doing well on the west side of the county but all the industry and its principal city is in the east. I think we are seeing the beginning of a shift imo

In the recent metro change Jackson/George County metro was dropped and Jackson joined the Biloxi metro and now George County is now no longer part of metro which gives me the impression that they are shifting to Mobile, once 198 is complete, I believe that will be the tipping point and reach that 25% commuting patterns since then you could get to downtown in just 40 minutes and reach schillinger's corridor in about 30 minutes and then with the creation of the Snow Rd/Macfarland expanded corridor from I-10 to new 198 in the next 3 years. It will likely create another commercial corridor even further west closer to Lucedale with just a 20 minute commute.

https://censusreporter.org/profiles/...al-metro-area/

Old 04-23-2021, 06:14 PM

259 posts, read 196,685 times
I think most of Huntsville’s growth is just fueled by the government. Like the FBI and impending space command. They’ve got thousands of jobs heading their way over the next decade just from those. I’m not sure why Birmingham is blowing up with housing. I know they’ve been grinding with the historic tax credits, taking the majority of the projects since its inception. But their population is still declining and it’s regularly making lists as top 5 most dangerous cities to live in. I personally think that the state does more for that metro area than any other and it’s why they’ve been relevant for this long with the stagnant growth of the metro area over the last couple decades

Old 04-23-2021, 07:42 PM

12,591 posts, read 9,103,621 times
Quote:
In the recent metro change Jackson/George County metro was dropped and Jackson joined the Biloxi metro and now George County is now no longer part of metro which gives me the impression that they are shifting to Mobile, once 198 is complete, I believe that will be the tipping point and reach that 25% commuting patterns since then you could get to downtown in just 40 minutes and reach schillinger's corridor in about 30 minutes and then with the creation of the Snow Rd/Macfarland expanded corridor from I-10 to new 198 in the next 3 years. It will likely create another commercial corridor even further west closer to Lucedale with just a 20 minute commute.

https://censusreporter.org/profiles/...al-metro-area/
Correct me if I'm wrong - but George and Jackson Counties used to be in the Gulport/Biloxi CSA, but now there is no CSA - Jackson County joined the Gulfport/Biloxi MSA.

I suppose it's possible that George County could join the Mobile MSA. My sister lives in rural George County and they always go to Mobile when they need anything - health care, shopping, etc., but they work in George County. Don't know if George County will meet the 25% commuter requirement to Mobile or not.

Are you aware of the proposal for an MSA to have a central city (or perhaps urban area) of 100,000 or greater, rather than the current 50,000? A lot of the current MSAs will turn into Micros if that proposal passes (and it probably should - it's an old definition established when the US was half the size it is now).

Old 04-23-2021, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natedoggbry View Post
I think most of Huntsville’s growth is just fueled by the government. Like the FBI and impending space command. They’ve got thousands of jobs heading their way over the next decade just from those. I’m not sure why Birmingham is blowing up with housing. I know they’ve been grinding with the historic tax credits, taking the majority of the projects since its inception. But their population is still declining and it’s regularly making lists as top 5 most dangerous cities to live in. I personally think that the state does more for that metro area than any other and it’s why they’ve been relevant for this long with the stagnant growth of the metro area over the last couple decades
Government jobs is certainly a large part of the growth, but the area is diversifying as well. There's an existing Toyota engine manufacturing plant that probably most have never heard of that's rapidly expanding and employs about 1900, not to mention the Mazda/Toyota assembly plant that will employ 4,000, along with attendant suppliers that will employ many more. There's a pretty large Polaris plant, a Target distribution center, and a perhaps defunct Remington handgun manufacturer. Navistar makes large diesel engines at the airport, there's a solar panel manufacturer, and many more, just at the airport.

Old 04-23-2021, 09:14 PM

4,983 posts, read 9,048,731 times
Quote:
Wow that's wild, I didn't know that, that could definitely bring Escambia county into the metro, especially if/when North Baldwin county were to grow. I'm curious as to why there's no development in north Baldwin County. Sure, you got Bay Minette and unincorporated Stockton but that's it, they are sorta growing but no where near the degree of their southern counterparts. It's not an infrastructure issue they have three exits within about 4 miles of enter Baldwin County (from Mobile County) like what you see on I-10 in the southern part of Baldwin county. Sure it's farther from Mobile proper but both I-65 and I-10 enter from Baldwin County as of right now are 4 lane highways. They both seem over capacity however, I-65 doesn't have that sharp 90 degree turn like I-10 does so the chances of stand still traffic on I-65 is significantly lower. Maybe it's the growth of North Mobile that will be the catalyst.

Honestly growth in North Mobile County seems to be a big catalyst for expanding our metro, that's how we got Washington, and we'll get George County, and possibly get Greene county if Citronelle can pull off a big boy move and rapidly expand itself. Although right now it seems unlikely to happen. Citronelle needs to become self-sufficient, right now it's still heavily reliant on Saraland and Mobile for it's basic needs. Maybe when it finally has a 4 lane highway, bigger developers might be willing to take a shot at citronelle and it can be self sufficient and become a mini urban core and spread influence into west Washington County and then Greene County

As for Jackson County, I think that'll be the longest shot, the lower I-10 corridor is exploding right now, however Jackson County is already self urbanized and has also integrated to Harrison County metro. The population center for Jackson County is in the southwest corner rather than the east with a water shed on the southeast portion of the county, making development there difficult. It's very interesting, when they made Alabama and Mississippi into states they just cut them in half instead of following topography. There's a strip of Mississippi Land that goes from I-10 up to Wilmer that is separated from the rest of Mississippi because of a water shed and is instead connected to Alabama. They should've really given that land to Mobile and divide the land by the topography
Actaully I thought Jackson County fell out of Biloxi's metro last year ?

Old 04-23-2021, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortCity View Post
Actaully I thought Jackson County fell out of Biloxi's metro last year ?
No, I think it actually was included last year. It used to be in the CSA, but it appears there's no longer a CSA and now Jackson County is part of the larger MSA.

Look on Page 52 here: https://www.whitehouse.gov/wp-conten...in-20-01.pdf?#

The link is the latest (March 2020) metro, micro, and CSA definitions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area