Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2023, 10:45 AM

261 posts, read 202,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InlandWave View Post
Well actually no, Mobile still maintain some of the lowest violent crime rates in the south. Baldwin County being “crime free” is very much an illusion… case in point, so far this year, Baldwin County currently has the same murder rate as the actual City of Mobile so far this year at just over 4.60/1000 residents

Also the crime rate has fallen nearly in half in the past 10 years….

https://www.mobilepd.org/uploads/Mob...nualReport.pdf
They don’t care about facts and statistics. I said that same thing man, just for the same idiotic “crime is getting worse” take to be spouted. You could link a dozen articles about growth underway for austal, Airbus, and distribution centers. You could point to the city actually having more money to spend on infrastructure and parks than it has ever had. You could point to revitalization of neighborhoods like OGD and commercial corridors such as St. Louis street and it doesn’t matter. The same people will continue to sit there and take a dump on the city because some random gas station seemed sketchy late at night. It’s all random bias that screams, “my opinion trumps facts and logic.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2023, 03:52 PM

5,003 posts, read 9,157,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
HBCUs have a predominant African American student body and thus are not diverse. In 2023, we should be promoting diversity and not segregation.
Well so are PWIs I attended a HBCU ( AAMU) and a PWI ( USA). And neither one are segregated just culturally different. There aren't any different from public schools that are predominantly one race.

Old 05-09-2023, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natedoggbry View Post
They don’t care about facts and statistics. I said that same thing man, just for the same idiotic “crime is getting worse” take to be spouted. You could link a dozen articles about growth underway for austal, Airbus, and distribution centers. You could point to the city actually having more money to spend on infrastructure and parks than it has ever had. You could point to revitalization of neighborhoods like OGD and commercial corridors such as St. Louis street and it doesn’t matter. The same people will continue to sit there and take a dump on the city because some random gas station seemed sketchy late at night. It’s all random bias that screams, “my opinion trumps facts and logic.”
Well said.

Old 05-09-2023, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnsjane View Post
It sounds like there are some big differences between Mobile and the Eastern Shore in terms of things like crime, traffic, and income levels. You mentioned that some people are moving to the Eastern Shore because they want a safer area with better schools for their kids, but the rapid growth there can also cause problems like traffic and overpopulation.

It's unfortunate to hear that Mobile's crime rate has gone up over the years and that some areas don't feel safe anymore. It seems like there are also economic issues in the city, with a lack of jobs and struggles to keep up financially. Overall, it sounds like Mobile is having a tough time keeping up with its growing population and the demands that come with that.

Mobile doesn't have a lack of jobs the Easternshore does in all honesty.

Old 05-09-2023, 06:17 PM

27 posts, read 18,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natedoggbry View Post
Spot on! You can't relay understanding to people who aren't receptive of understanding, especially those clinging to right winged conspiracy theories.

Seems like Lizap has a problem with African Americans from the lack of understanding what true diversity is and constantly singling out a specific race. Institutions that supports different or specific cultures is what true diversity is, options for everybody.

OAN, Mayor Stimpson has done a great job improving infrastructure across the entire city as well as implementing his One Mobile initiative. I voted for him in the last election and he is definitely my first choice if he runs again. One of the things I would like to see is the city working with ALDOT to make the city look more appealing from the interstates. Landscaping intersections and maybe some signage on overpasses might work. I think that will help lure passerby off the interstates into the city also changing people's perceptions.

Old 05-09-2023, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MobAL251 View Post
OAN, Mayor Stimpson has done a great job improving infrastructure across the entire city as well as implementing his One Mobile initiative. I voted for him in the last election and he is definitely my first choice if he runs again. One of the things I would like to see is the city working with ALDOT to make the city look more appealing from the interstates. Landscaping intersections and maybe some signage on overpasses might work. I think that will help lure passerby off the interstates into the city also changing people's perceptions.
This !! I-10 from the I-65 over pass to near the Virginia street exist. Is a horrible representation. It .akes the city look brown and industrial. When it's green and historic.

And I will like to add that Mobile's Park and Recreation is top notch ! Sandy has done a great job in that category.

Old 05-10-2023, 08:52 PM

92 posts, read 101,581 times
When Walt Disney said no to New Orleans because of greedy politics. Mobile had the second chance to land Disney but the politics did the same thin and wanted hand outs. Walt Disney World was going to be built where Theodore Industrial canal is today.

Old 05-11-2023, 04:17 AM

865 posts, read 587,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayourat15 View Post
When Walt Disney said no to New Orleans because of greedy politics. Mobile had the second chance to land Disney but the politics did the same thin and wanted hand outs. Walt Disney World was going to be built where Theodore Industrial canal is today.
Strong doubt

Old 05-11-2023, 05:15 AM

Quote:
I don't think that story is true.

Old 05-11-2023, 10:10 AM

6,632 posts, read 4,300,748 times
Quote:
I don’t know about the politics, but I have heard for years, Disney wanted to build near Theodore. Some posters
here may not have heard this as they may have only been residents for a few years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area