Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 12:23 PM

2,667 posts, read 6,777,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by breer23 View Post
I can't believe they are shutting down the location nearest USA, but yet they keep open the one on Grelot/Hillcrest...that area is just an accident waiting to happen
I loved having that Starbucks at Grelot and Hillcrest, but hated that intersection and how the entrance was set up. You absolutely could not get to there if you were going south on Hillcrest or east on Grelot ... as the entrance is only off Hillcrest going north. I mean, you could create your own pain-in-the-butt workarounds with the Winn Dixie parking lot, but that was no fun at all if there was any traffic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by breer23 View Post
Since I'm no longer there, I'm just curious what the reaction is from the local coffee shops (e.g. Carpe Diem & Satori) that were so vehemently against having to compete with all of the newer Starbucks that had opened recently.
I'm sure they are glad and I used those indapendent shops when I could out of support, but they still were not as convinient as Starbucks being at the intersection of University/Old Shell (especially to me, as I spent hours upon hours in the USA College of Education in that same parking lot.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2008, 07:31 PM

4,739 posts, read 10,434,489 times
I just found out when Starbucks announced the closing of one store in Huntsville that HSV has seven Starbucks (I had never even heard of that location - no wonder it's closing).

BTW, I stocked up on Community Coffee while I was at the beach, they haven't been in HSV since Katrina...

Old 07-22-2008, 12:15 PM

386 posts, read 1,216,588 times
Considering they are a Seattle based company, I could care less if they closed every one of them. I only drink real coffee.. Community..cause only us Southerners now how to eat and drink real food and beverages! Watch CC's coffee (Community Coffee) take over those locations.. then youll never care about Starbucks again!

Old 07-23-2008, 01:31 PM

763 posts, read 3,835,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebring38 View Post
Clark Howard said that it was part of Starbuck's marketing plan to oversaturate the market with their locations to drive competitors out of business. Since they have pretty much accomplished their objective, it doesn't make a lot of sense, when looking a profitability, to keep closely congregated shops open.
Two Starbucks have closed in Birmingham. The paper documented that Starbucks opened new stores in close proximity to local well-established coffeehouses. In one case, the Starbucks store was literally right next door - they shared a wall.

In this case, the reverse happened....the local coffehouses drove the Starbucks locations out of business. One local owner was quoted as saying that when Starbucks opened next door, it hardly made a blip in her business and subsequently, she expected very little increase in business as a result of their closing.

I think two factors are hurting Starbucks: 1) the economy - as people are going to forego a $4 cup of coffee when cutting back and 2) they have been obviously arrogant in trying to drive locals out of business.

O'Henry's in Homewood blew their store away...not surprised at all that they closed that one....a much better established store, with a wider selection of beans also - which ironically was the first Starbucks store - it sold beans only...not the finished product.

Old 07-25-2008, 11:42 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
Starbucks tried to make their baristas out to be rocket scientists. I have my own espresso machine at home and it's not that complicated.

Old 08-10-2008, 01:19 PM

247 posts, read 1,109,362 times
Default Starbucks by the Winn Dixie(Catherine St.)

I have been surprised this one made it but the drive thru is usually packed. The servers are so nice. Sometimes they have dog washes, to raise money for SPCA or a small band on Friday nights.

We come here all the time; way too much. When I'm out of cereal, we run through before school for their reduced fat Cinnamon Swirl coffee cake, which is better than the other kind anyway. We are out of cereal often!

We patronize all of them. Has anyone tried Serdas downtown yet? They sell alcoholic bev. too, which I didn't know until recently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area