U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 05:25 PM

200 posts, read 595,416 times
Default Where is the Best Area to Live in or around Mobile

I am considering a move to Mobile after looking at the city on the sites. Sounds like a little piece of heaven.

I will be buying up to probably 190 and want a home that is in a safe area. I do not like Realtor.com so does anyone have a site where i can look at homes in specific ranges, amenities and neighborhoods.

I am coming from CA and will need to find a job either in Human Resources or as a Director of relo for a real estate firm.

Any help would be appreciated since I have no clue about neighborhoods to search in and those to avoid.

I like trees lots of them if that helps and do not have the means or abilities to do fixer areas.

I read Spanish something was good What about Gulf Shores etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2008, 07:45 PM

272 posts, read 576,759 times
Try www.gulfshoreslife.com they have a good search page that have all the sub divisions in mobile and baldwin counties and the houses that are available. You might want to look in the Robertsdale or Loxley area, many homes in that price range.

Old 07-31-2008, 01:50 AM

Thanks spider I will check out that site. Getting nervous because I have never moved somewhere without a job. Hope the employment opps are there.

Old 07-31-2008, 07:58 AM

72 posts, read 246,278 times
Moderator cut: realtor website

Everyone will give you different opinions about where the best part of Mobile is, but I prefer it out here in West Mobile. I put these neighborhoods in the search when I was looking for my house, but that's just me.
Cottage Hill N
Cottage Hill S
Springhill/USA
West Mobile

Oh, and there are plenty of trees here, they are all over the place.

Last edited by Keeper; 08-01-2008 at 03:09 PM.. Reason: send website via Direct message

Old 07-31-2008, 02:24 PM

2,663 posts, read 4,105,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEVH View Post
I am considering a move to Mobile after looking at the city on the sites. Sounds like a little piece of heaven.

I will be buying up to probably 190 and want a home that is in a safe area. I do not like Realtor.com so does anyone have a site where i can look at homes in specific ranges, amenities and neighborhoods.

I am coming from CA and will need to find a job either in Human Resources or as a Director of relo for a real estate firm.

Any help would be appreciated since I have no clue about neighborhoods to search in and those to avoid.

I like trees lots of them if that helps and do not have the means or abilities to do fixer areas.

I read Spanish something was good What about Gulf Shores etc.
If you are willing to spend $190, you can (basically) have anywhere you want in Mobile. Don't be fooled though, Gulf Shores is a good hour away, and is not exactly "in Mobile area" . Spanish Fort is nice and decently close, but again, not in Mobile. It's "Eastern Shore". There are too many good areas in Mobile to list off the top of my head, and of course, there are alot of really bad areas too. Sorry I couldn't help more. I am at work and only have a minute at a time in between assignments .

Old 07-31-2008, 07:19 PM

Ok maybe I should ask, where would you not invest up to 190,000 in the Mobile area? That should help.

I am so confused about the boards info on homeowners insurance. Can one get homeowners insurance in the Mobile area at all due to hurricanes. I am wondering if living in FL with no state income tax is a wash to AL if you have to pay high for homeowners.

Old 08-01-2008, 07:24 AM

272 posts, read 576,759 times
I think the best thing to do would be to take a trip to the area and do some riding around. Like others have said you'll have many options, so the only way you'll get a feel of the area is to check out all the areas. My wife and I live in the Atlanta area, and don't plan on moving to Alabama till 2009, but we've taken a few trips down( 5 hour drive) and have driven all over to see what area works for us. We also checked out the Pensacola area of Florida ( they can have it) we liked Alabama better. If your not sure were you'll be working you could also rent something for a year, then you'll really know what works for you, instead of relying on someone elses opion. You don't want to make a hasty decision, and then say you should of done this or shouldn't of done that. You have many options, good luck!

Old 08-01-2008, 08:57 AM

2,663 posts, read 4,105,259 times
If you are moving from CA to AL, I would definitely rent first for 6 months. Mobile/Eastern Shore is great, but it's not everyone's cup of tea. But I would personally do that anywhere before buying in any new city, just so I could get a feel for what area I wanted to buy in instead of simplty relying on the advice of others. However, to answer your question, any neighborhood that has houses in the price range of $190 will not be a bad area (in Mobile). In fact (maybe assuming too much, I don't know), any neighborhood where the houses are above $100k will be a good neighborhood. Of course, there are other neighborhoods that are good too IMO where you can get a home for 70k (parts of midtown) - but again, not everyone's cup of tea. I guess, for your price range and wants, I would check out Cottage Hill west, Jackson Heights, Springhill area, West Mobile (Grelot, Dawes), and Hillcrest (between Grelot and Cottage Hill). Also look into Daphne, Spanish Fort, and Malbis over in Eastern Shore.

Old 08-01-2008, 10:27 AM

8,857 posts, read 15,790,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oscottscotto View Post
I would check out Cottage Hill west, Jackson Heights, Springhill area, West Mobile (Grelot, Dawes), and Hillcrest (between Grelot and Cottage Hill).
Ditto

Stay away from the Maysville and Dauphin Island Parkway (DIP) area.

Old 08-01-2008, 03:14 PM

13,545 posts, read 22,420,220 times
I have to agree you might want to rent at first and once you get a job decide on an area to live.

Maybe someone can tell you if HOI is hard to get in Mobile now. I know many areas in Baldwin county have to use state HOI.

Post link not copyrighted material
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area