Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 01:45 PM

5,003 posts, read 9,157,880 times

Advertisements

^ wow soooo true the brothers from Mayesville did live in West Mobile Im tired of people putting down Mmd town and not all of mid town is near ghetto areas. Crime is in isolated areas in Mobile and midtown is very safe I love the look and the origan Mobile feel to it which distinguishes Mobile from the rest of Alabama. When I see out of town tags traveling down Govt Springhill or Dauphin they are usauly driving realy slow and looking out of evry window in there cars because of the charecter mid town has !!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2009, 07:44 AM

247 posts, read 1,109,747 times
Default Why Meth Labs Aren't in Midtown

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortCity View Post
^ wow soooo true the brothers from Mayesville did live in West Mobile Im tired of people putting down Mmd town and not all of mid town is near ghetto areas. Crime is in isolated areas in Mobile and midtown is very safe I love the look and the origan Mobile feel to it which distinguishes Mobile from the rest of Alabama. When I see out of town tags traveling down Govt Springhill or Dauphin they are usauly driving realy slow and looking out of evry window in there cars because of the charecter mid town has !!
Agreed! Sunday we were having drinks (it's ALWAYS 5 o'clock on my porch!) as usual with the neighbors on the porch when some lady drove by snapping photos like we were in a photo shoot! The tour bus drives by daily. By the way, the Historic Homes Tour is this Friday and Saturday. I need to do a separate post about it.

Another friend lived in a neighborhood called Heritage Woods off Hillcrest, just south of Cottage Hill. A meth lab was next door and blew up! She was shocked; I wasn't. Drug dealers have American Dreams too, LOL!

It's difficult to have meth labs in Midtown because the homes are so close together and we all know each other. You'd have to be pretty unsocial to not know your neighbors around here.

Old 03-17-2009, 01:13 PM

True Mid Town is urban in a city way not cutlural or socuialy and I love that urban feeling and the closeness of the houses i just love that urban(city) density.

Im guilty and i`ll admit that I tend to ride around mid town as a tourist my self at times ,lol.

Old 03-23-2009, 08:36 PM

68 posts, read 203,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by downtowndoll View Post
It's difficult to have meth labs in Midtown because the homes are so close together and we all know each other. You'd have to be pretty unsocial to not know your neighbors around here.
There was a meth lab bust about 6 years ago behind ASMS, on the corner of (North/South?)Georgia St.

Old 03-24-2009, 08:11 AM

If so that was six years ago not every other week.

Old 03-30-2009, 08:28 AM

Default Let's get clear on street names please!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsalladream View Post
There was a meth lab bust about 6 years ago behind ASMS, on the corner of (North/South?)Georgia St.
I've lived here (and I'm in that immediate area but on the Oakleigh side) just a little longer than that, and I've never heard of a meth bust there. I'm not saying it isn't possible, but we are VERY involved in the surrounding neighborhoods. I know pretty much everyone that lives on that street. Many of us socialize quite a bit through our downtown churches that we attend and also various charity things, etc.

That particular street, South Georgia, is very close-knit.....which I know is hard to imagine to those of you who commute 30 minutes ( poor souls!), have garage caves, and drive into them and then noone sees you again in your neighborhood.....(sorry, I am feeling quite put out after a bad run in the Azalea Trail run this weekend!)

if there was a meth lab bust... and it probably was more like TEN years ago....
it was probably North Georgia Avenuewhich extends from Dauphin Street to Old Shell Road. Unfortunately, that section of Old Shell Road has some pockets of not great stuff, but there are nice people and places in there. Like anything, it just takes a while to come back. For instance, concentrated efforts to get white collar professionals to move in the Oakleigh Garden District began in the 1970's. Now houses are being redone on Marine Street, which I personally wondered if it could really come back... but it is! The plan is to continue down the street to Texas Street and beyond.

Again, we all know each other so a potential criminal would be an IDIOT to start something around neighborhoods such as ours....we gather on the porches regularly in nice weather(not to mention all the lawyers & judges who live in the nicer areas of midtown).

Blighted areas are another story. When people post about "crime in Midtown" who OBVIOUSLY aren't even familiar with the streets or areas of Midtown..... I know they mean well, but I wish people would really consider before they put out misinformation out there.

Old 03-30-2009, 08:40 AM

2,667 posts, read 6,780,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by downtowndoll View Post
The plan is to continue down the street to Texas Street and beyond.
A rejuvination of Texas Street would be awesome.

Old 03-30-2009, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscottscotto View Post
A rejuvination of Texas Street would be awesome.
Yeah, it has a lot of very old houses, 1850's-1860's, actually. They've been trying to encourage low income homeowners to come in but $125K is really too much for them. They tend to go out to the older suburban areas where they can get a ranch house for $60-80K.

And it's hard to renovate a house for just a little $$. So they can't offer it for less than that.

If I had a lot of $$, I would invest in houses on Elmira and Texas Street all the way from S. Ann to Broad Street. They just did a big beautification of Broad Street and it's going to take a while, but it will happen.

Eventually, they want to go to the railroad tracks and beyond. There are a lot of old houses and then you have many in the bungalow style, 1913-1930. They are so liveable but with the older house charm.

Old 03-30-2009, 08:57 AM

2,667 posts, read 6,780,592 times
An ex of mine used to live at Texas and Ann. Always enjoyed the area, and that particular part of Texas was fine and is still fine (I think). If memory serves correct, it was the eastern parts of Texas more toward Broad St. that were becoming run down. Is that correct?

Old 03-30-2009, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscottscotto View Post
An ex of mine used to live at Texas and Ann. Always enjoyed the area, and that particular part of Texas was fine and is still fine (I think). If memory serves correct, it was the eastern parts of Texas more toward Broad St. that were becoming run down. Is that correct?
Yes, it's still run down on the eastern edges. Texas and Ann is good-looking til about Regina Street(which has been redone lately) but the people are nice, just not enough $$ to fix up their homes.

I've heard that quite a few houses have been bought on Texas but they are waiting for more critical mass to renovate. Maybe 2-3 years, I'm hoping.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area