U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-16-2008, 08:09 PM

19 posts, read 38,876 times
Default South Baldwin County houses?

We are planning on moving to south Baldwin county in 6 to 9 months. What areas are best to stay away from? What areas are best to look at? We have not decided for sure what city/town. Any suggestions would be helpful. We are planning on visiting again Thanksgiving and would like to know some ideas of where to look (towns and neighborhood). We have three teenage girls.
Also anyone know directions to Mancy's restaurant in Daphne?
Thanks for the help!
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2008, 08:29 PM

13,546 posts, read 22,462,200 times
What is important to you?
Work, schools, hurricane evacuation, housing cost?

I personally like the area between Silverhill and Summerdale. I also love Fairhope for it's quaint homes. We all have something that makes an area special to us.

My nieces went to school in Summerdale/Foley area. They are all great young ladies, each different in their needs and goals.

Sorry I don't know about Mancy's restaurant.

Post link not copyrighted material

Old 10-18-2008, 04:21 PM

I guess hurricane evacuation would be my biggest concern but I am not really worried about that either.
I have heard Foley High school was not good. We have three girls, grade 7, 10, and 11.
I figure my husband will go to work at at prison or place like that since that is where he works now. I teach. Hopefully I can get a job close to where we would live to be but if not I will teach in Mobile or Pensecola. I drive 40 miles on way to work now so driving is not a big deal to me.
We are not planning on buying when we first move until we figure out what area we want in fore sure. Of course, the closer to the gulf the better for me but not necessary where we will be. I do not want to have to evacuate everytime either.
Our town now is about 7000 people but does not have much other than Walmart and liquor stores. The house I owned for 10 years was in a town of 300. The nearest gas station was 20 miles away. So the size of the community isn't important either. Personally, I would rather be in a smaller town myself. Makes no difference to my husband though.

Old 10-18-2008, 05:14 PM

13,546 posts, read 22,462,200 times
The further north you live from Gulf Shores the better chance you won't have to evacuate unless it is a cat 4-5, of course you take the risk you will be without electric for days or weeks.

You might want to ask about Pensacola in the FL forum. It is a nice city but much bigger. Schools in FL are not that good, IMHO. Most teach only the FCAT.

Post link not copyrighted material

Old 10-18-2008, 07:00 PM

I am not interested in living in Pensecola at all! I am not really worried about the hurricanes much either. I understand the further in, the less likely to evacuate. I also understand the risk of being without electricity for days/weeks.
What do you know about Elberta or Lillian? I have been reading on here. They both seem like nice little areas but then at the same time I had someone else tell me no! Looks like housing is much cheaper too!
Thanks for the info!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area