Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 02:24 AM

1 posts, read 13,690 times

Advertisements

I'm going with my family to live in mobile county please I need your advise
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2010, 11:16 PM

2 posts, read 26,015 times
West Mobile is the best part of Mobile as far as crime. Also people are very friendly and laid back and Mobile is a very family friendly place to live.

Old 06-22-2011, 07:27 AM

2 posts, read 13,638 times
Many drivers experienced a traffic nightmare in and around the Edmonton area Tuesday morning that included rollovers, ditched and spun-out vehicles

Old 08-12-2011, 10:45 AM

481 posts, read 877,863 times
This doesn't so much apply to the locals, but mostly the obnoxious residents from Louisiana as they are the worst at this. Here's a piece of advice to aid everyone. The I-10 Wallace tunnel is open on both sides unless otherwise noted from the overhead lights. When you enter the tunnel, there IS a hole on the other side to exit. There is no need to slam on brakes and almost come to a dead stop at the entrance or center of the tunnel. You back traffic up to Michigan avenue on the eastbound side and almost cause a pile-up. The curve into or out of the tunnel (depending on which way you come) is a 45 mph speed limit. It is a sharp curve, and I suggest not doing 75mph around it; however. Do NOT STOP!!!!!! Once you enter the tunnel it's 55. Locals are often doing 65-80, which is fine...just please quit STOPPING. I'm tired of laying on my horn when I almost rear-end one of these individuals. It always seems as if there's a wreck in the tunnel when there's not. It's moronic drivers that stop; then when they see "the light at the end of the tunnel" they proceed to accelerate again.

Old 11-08-2011, 12:34 PM

14 posts, read 30,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I always hated the intersection of Airport and University Blvd, you'll sit there sometimes through three light changes before you get to go.

It really isn't that bad. I live at University and Airport. You can get through the light just fine and if you hate the traffic go down Oldshell before school lets out.

Old 09-05-2012, 11:18 AM

14 posts, read 89,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unstoppablemobile View Post
Hopefully can make this a sticky for areas that for some reason have really bad traffic.

For me 2 areas...

Semmes on Moffet Rd or Hwy 98 eastbound side from the light at the WalMart to 1 mile west. This is due to the light being set wrong. Saturday afternoon is the absolute worst! Take Snow Road and detour around to Howells Ferry to Schillingers if you need to go that way coming from Mississippi.

Semmes on Schillingers Rd from Moffet northward between Moffet and Lott Rd. 2 lanes that back up heavily at mainly 5pm rush hour, mainly just the southbound side. Cars will be backed up over 40 to 50 deep and also on Sundays around noon.

I used to complain about the traffic in Mobile, until I moved to Atlanta. Now I would trade anything to have the Mobile Traffic again...

Old 02-10-2013, 10:18 PM

557 posts, read 806,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unstoppablemobile View Post
Hopefully can make this a sticky for areas that for some reason have really bad traffic.

For me 2 areas...

Semmes on Moffet Rd or Hwy 98 eastbound side from the light at the WalMart to 1 mile west. This is due to the light being set wrong. Saturday afternoon is the absolute worst! Take Snow Road and detour around to Howells Ferry to Schillingers if you need to go that way coming from Mississippi.

Semmes on Schillingers Rd from Moffet northward between Moffet and Lott Rd. 2 lanes that back up heavily at mainly 5pm rush hour, mainly just the southbound side. Cars will be backed up over 40 to 50 deep and also on Sundays around noon.
Sorry, but pet peave of mine. It's SCHILLINGER, NOT SCHILLINGERS!!!

Traffic is traffic, and will always be around, but Dawes and Jeff Hamilton bugged the hell out of me living in West Mobile for the last two years. That has to be the dumbest traffic light set up of all time. Good luck if you're going south on Dawes. Traffic only backs up because of the moronic planners and the way the engineer set up the light.

Old 05-31-2013, 10:37 AM

4 posts, read 14,184 times
Mobile to me doesn't have traffic problems this is nothing. I'm not even from here. But I have notice in some areas people drive a lot slower than the speed limit set on certain streets in certain areas

Old 05-20-2014, 09:40 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,924,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD401 View Post
Sorry, but pet peave of mine. It's SCHILLINGER, NOT SCHILLINGERS!!!
Right there with ya, buddy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyman85 View Post
Mobile to me doesn't have traffic problems. This is nothing.
Mobile traffic can be pretty bad, but mainly because nobody knows how to drive.

Anyway, the real question is WHY is this a sticky? I am the first comment in a year and while traffic in Mobile may be pretty bad, it is MUCH worse in other cities and certainly not worth a sticky.

Old 06-09-2014, 09:04 AM

3,484 posts, read 6,484,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
Right there with ya, buddy.

Mobile traffic can be pretty bad, but mainly because nobody knows how to drive.

Anyway, the real question is WHY is this a sticky? I am the first comment in a year and while traffic in Mobile may be pretty bad, it is MUCH worse in other cities and certainly not worth a sticky.
Speaking as a former Mobilian who moved to the Greater Los(t) Angeles area in 1988 and has returned home periodically, Mobile traffic is not really bad. It may take 45 minutes to get from Broad Street out to the airport (about 11 miles. speed approximately 25 mph), but this is mostly due to the traffic lights between I-65 and University Boulevard. Heck, it used to take me 30-35 minutes from the old Providence Hospital area, out Springhill Avenue (etc.), to Schillinger Road!

Here's my current situation. By major freeways -- all of them 8 or more lanes wide (4 in each direction) -- the distance from my house to LAX is about 56 miles (roughly the same distance from downtown Mobile to Pensacola via I-10). It has sometimes taken me 3 hours to drive from one to the other. That's less than 19 mph -- on 8-lane freeways!

Except for the period from about 11PM until 4AM, LA freeways look like a major ball-game just let out! Now THAT'S some traffic!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area