Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 07:02 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,578,434 times

Advertisements

What do they call it.... Metroplex? LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2011, 02:48 PM

1,498 posts, read 1,856,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PortCity View Post
Sounds like a future Mobiel-Baldwin-Pensacola Metro to me ...That`s around 950 K I think.
A Mobile-Baldwin-Escambia metro would be ~1.05 million.

Old 08-11-2011, 07:49 PM

12 posts, read 35,687 times
Default Ok

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Baldwin County kinda gets split between Mobile and Pensacola. Its true many people in Spanish Fort and Daphne commute to Mobile, but there's also people around Foley-Elberta-Lillian that commute to P'cola.
Foley, Elberta, Lillian Pop = ~15,000

Spanish Fort, Malbis, Daphne, Fairhope = ~45,000

I don't care what arbitrary Metro category the Eastern Shore is put into, it is part of the Mobile metro area. People live and work on both sides of the Bay.

Old 08-12-2011, 07:44 AM

5,000 posts, read 9,146,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsky View Post
A Mobile-Baldwin-Escambia metro would be ~1.05 million.
Larger than I thought.That will be the next three county metro one day !

Old 08-12-2011, 09:52 AM

482 posts, read 885,529 times
I'd say either move to the Eastern Shore or certain areas of the FL Panhandle. Mobile itself has gone down considerably in the past 20 years. It's not what it used to be growing up. Crime is awful and the city is broke. The Eastern Shore is where many of the middle and upper middle class are fleeing. It's nice, taxes are lower, traffic is better, and things are building up nicely. Unfortunately it does have too much of the "lower Alabama" culture, which is why I really like the FL Panhandle, mostly Santa Rosa County. I don't have to see the big "A" plastered 10 times on every vehicle that passes by.

Pensacola, however, as a city tends to be more "dumpy" and "trashy". I would suggest Gulf Breeze as it's their "Eastern Shore" of their city. The only issue with them is their low elevation and proximity to the water. You're guranteed damage if you're a direct hit from a hurricane. That's what has prevented me from living over there. The northern Eastern Shore is on a bluff, which saves you the flooding during the hurricanes.

I haven't seen too many super nice place in Milton. Navarre is nice; but again, it's close to the water. I'd rather live in FL but Escambia county doesn't do much for me.

Old 08-19-2014, 11:09 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,173,029 times
Quote:
Don't let the population numbers fool you, Pensacola is no more "laid back" than Mobile is. I live an equal distance between the two cities so I go to both of them often. Pensacola may have no state or food tax, but property taxes will be much higher, as well as vehicle tags, insurance, etc. What Florida doesn't get through state tax it gets through other means, so you'll pay one way or another. Pensacola has the benefit of closer and better beaches, but unless you're going to be going to the beach everyday I really don't think it's worth living there. The job situation in P'cola seems to be much worse than it is in Mobile, and most of the city seems more "ghetto" to me. Another thing, even though Mobile is bigger, I can get around much easier. Pensacola's street layout makes no sense whatsoever.

If you're really wanting Pensacola, I suggest looking at the surrounding communities like Pace, Milton, or Gulf Breeze.
Thanks! This helps me understand both cities better.

Old 10-06-2014, 05:04 PM

41 posts, read 61,033 times
Default One thing good about P'cola.....

Quote:
Pensacola's street layout makes no sense whatsoever.
Pensacola's airport access is much better; it's nice they put an interstate exit onto Airport Blvd. Of course you don't have to live in P'Cola to take advantage of this.

Old 03-19-2017, 08:36 PM

10 posts, read 21,033 times
I am considering looking at Pace, gulf breeze and East Hill area, I live in Tallahassee after I sold my home in Clearwater, I miss Clearwater a lot so now I want out of Tallahassee, I'm living on the wrong side of town also, its kind of rough, so my question is which is better for work Mobile? I take it is, I'm wondering if I should also consider Raleigh Durham NC or Va Va is so expensive though.

Old 03-19-2017, 09:09 PM

34 posts, read 71,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seashore2017 View Post
I am considering looking at Pace, gulf breeze and East Hill area, I live in Tallahassee after I sold my home in Clearwater, I miss Clearwater a lot so now I want out of Tallahassee, I'm living on the wrong side of town also, its kind of rough, so my question is which is better for work Mobile? I take it is, I'm wondering if I should also consider Raleigh Durham NC or Va Va is so expensive though.
If you want to be near the beaches, you should consider the Gulf Coast in Alabama. Cities like Gulf Shores, Orange Beach, and Lillian are pretty closed to jobs in Pensacola and Foley. We have much lower property taxes and the beaches are amazing!

Old 03-20-2017, 10:06 AM

426 posts, read 382,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRA2000TL View Post
I'd say either move to the Eastern Shore or certain areas of the FL Panhandle. Mobile itself has gone down considerably in the past 20 years. It's not what it used to be growing up. Crime is awful and the city is broke. The Eastern Shore is where many of the middle and upper middle class are fleeing. It's nice, taxes are lower, traffic is better, and things are building up nicely. Unfortunately it does have too much of the "lower Alabama" culture, which is why I really like the FL Panhandle, mostly Santa Rosa County. I don't have to see the big "A" plastered 10 times on every vehicle that passes by.

Pensacola, however, as a city tends to be more "dumpy" and "trashy". I would suggest Gulf Breeze as it's their "Eastern Shore" of their city. The only issue with them is their low elevation and proximity to the water. You're guranteed damage if you're a direct hit from a hurricane. That's what has prevented me from living over there. The northern Eastern Shore is on a bluff, which saves you the flooding during the hurricanes.

I haven't seen too many super nice place in Milton. Navarre is nice; but again, it's close to the water. I'd rather live in FL but Escambia county doesn't do much for me.
Mobile is definitely on the rise. Downtown/Midtown is really revamping. Also, to me at least, it seems like more and more people are moving to Saraland instead of the Eastern Shore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area