U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 03:18 AM

3 posts, read 10,946 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am relocating to a warmer climate and have always loved the area. Can any locals tell me any major differences in the Mobile vs. the Pensacola area in terms of taxes, jobs, cost of living, things to do, etc.
Thanks so much. This site is wonderful!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2009, 09:00 AM

2,286 posts, read 3,006,793 times
I like the Pensacola area

Taxes: there is no food tax and state taxes in Florida,cost of living is slightly higher in Pensacola.

Jobs: Mobile has a higher GDP than Pensacola and is ls slightly above in the economy area.

Things to do: Mobile is a bigger city and metro than Pensacola so you will be dealing with more traffic, Pesnacola is also a little slower and more laid back than Mobile. Mobile has better night life, but Pensacola has a beach a nice one I might add.

Pensacola is only 50 -45 minutes from Mobile I usually can do it in like 35 or 40.

Mobile is slightly more cultural than Pensacola,Pensacola has better public schools. Mobile has more urban density than Pensacola ,while Pensacola has more of a suburban feel to it.

JOY TO YOU : What nice city are you moving from.

Old 06-25-2009, 11:10 AM

2,663 posts, read 4,167,423 times
Pensacola is a beach/armed forces town of just under 100k. Mobile is a more urban (but not that urban) city of around 300k. Someone feel free to correct me on these numbers. I lived in Mobile and visted Pensacola every blue moon. It's hard to say which is "better" because they are definitely different, even though they are referred to alot as "sister cities".

What I can say is that there will be more jobs in Mobile due to it being larger. There is a semi-major university in Mobile (USA). Mobile has a French flavor to it and is the true home to Mardi Gras. It sits directly on a bay, but is not a "beachy" city by any means. It is an hour drive to the Alabama beaches - Gulf Shores and Orange Beach. Mobile has a downtown scene that thrives only on Friday and Saturday nights, but it is not bad. It's not big-city, but it's not bad. Mobile is about 50/50 white/black.

Pensacola has a great beach. Pensacola is much less dense in its core, but has a neat downtown area imo (not thriving, but neat). The city has a more laid-back "beachy" feel. It is also a navy base town, someone correct me if I am wrong. Pensacola is about 70/30 white/black.

Port City discussed the taxes. In my opinion, the cost of living will be about the same.

Old 07-06-2009, 12:29 PM

22 posts, read 50,195 times
Pensacola hands down - no state tax in FL. plus you have the sugar sand beaches and not the Mobile Bay.

Old 07-09-2009, 10:53 PM

9 posts, read 21,599 times
Basically, Mobile has everything Pensacola has minus the state tax and closer proximity to the beach.
I find Pensacola to be very boring and uninteresting.

Mobile has so much more to offer in terms of variety, culture, and jobs. Though both are far from perfect.

Old 07-10-2009, 01:27 AM

272 posts, read 584,653 times
Split the distance and move to Loxley Al and you can take advantage of and enjoy what both areas have to offer.

Old 07-10-2009, 11:09 AM

8,956 posts, read 16,176,226 times
Don't let the population numbers fool you, Pensacola is no more "laid back" than Mobile is. I live an equal distance between the two cities so I go to both of them often. Pensacola may have no state or food tax, but property taxes will be much higher, as well as vehicle tags, insurance, etc. What Florida doesn't get through state tax it gets through other means, so you'll pay one way or another. Pensacola has the benefit of closer and better beaches, but unless you're going to be going to the beach everyday I really don't think it's worth living there. The job situation in P'cola seems to be much worse than it is in Mobile, and most of the city seems more "ghetto" to me. Another thing, even though Mobile is bigger, I can get around much easier. Pensacola's street layout makes no sense whatsoever.

If you're really wanting Pensacola, I suggest looking at the surrounding communities like Pace, Milton, or Gulf Breeze.

Old 07-10-2009, 02:19 PM

3 posts, read 10,946 times
Thanks guys!

Old 07-11-2009, 12:50 AM

2,663 posts, read 4,167,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Pensacola's street layout makes no sense whatsoever.
Don't know about Pensacola being "more ghetto", but you are totally right in this statement.

Old 07-11-2009, 08:00 AM

272 posts, read 584,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Don't let the population numbers fool you, Pensacola is no more "laid back" than Mobile is. I live an equal distance between the two cities so I go to both of them often. Pensacola may have no state or food tax, but property taxes will be much higher, as well as vehicle tags, insurance, etc. What Florida doesn't get through state tax it gets through other means, so you'll pay one way or another. Pensacola has the benefit of closer and better beaches, but unless you're going to be going to the beach everyday I really don't think it's worth living there. The job situation in P'cola seems to be much worse than it is in Mobile, and most of the city seems more "ghetto" to me. Another thing, even though Mobile is bigger, I can get around much easier. Pensacola's street layout makes no sense whatsoever.

If you're really wanting Pensacola, I suggest looking at the surrounding communities like Pace, Milton, or Gulf Breeze.
So true, that's why I preach taking your time, ask a lot of questions and add up all the numbers before you get too excited by one particular thing. Things like poor planning, traffic etc. cause stress and who wants stress when ya should be relaxing. After living in NY and Atlanta I try to avoid as much stress and traffic as I can. The only stress I want is getting flustered cause the fish won't eat my bait.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area