U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 10:36 AM

2,663 posts, read 4,212,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7spider View Post
I'll have to try that
It's very good, but I left out a word. Should be half of a good Amber Ale (preferably a light golden colored one) on top of half a Guiness. That is the key.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2009, 10:40 AM

2,663 posts, read 4,212,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okiefrombama View Post
@karena: I live in Lake Forest, which is a more established neighborhood in Daphne. You will get A LOT MORE house for your money in Alabama than you would in California, so come on over!
It's sad really. Cali (although that encompasses alot) is awesome, but you can buy four average houses in Eastern Shore for what you would have to pay for one in most of Cali. I'm sorry, but you cannot convince me people get paid enough to make up for that. Someone who makes 40k in Daphne would have to make 160k for the same job in most Cali cities. That ... is just stupid - even if I am comparing a small town to a mega-metropolis.

Old 09-15-2009, 02:11 PM

417 posts, read 681,567 times
adventuregurl,
This is just a reminder of something I had commented on before...crime is Mobile being quite high. Many on this forum posted that I was exaggerating...being dramatic. The following is the today's front page of the Mobile Register. Maybe I was not exaggerating after all...

FBI: Mobile metro area had seventh-highest homicide rate in U.S. in 2008 - Breaking News from the Press-Register - al.com

And if you notice, they mention Puerto Rico also...so far this year about 610 murders in such a small island. It really hurts to admit it, but it's reality.

Old 09-15-2009, 03:10 PM

2,760 posts, read 4,599,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by humacaena View Post
adventuregurl,
This is just a reminder of something I had commented on before...crime is Mobile being quite high. Many on this forum posted that I was exaggerating...being dramatic. The following is the today's front page of the Mobile Register. Maybe I was not exaggerating after all...

FBI: Mobile metro area had seventh-highest homicide rate in U.S. in 2008 - Breaking News from the Press-Register - al.com

And if you notice, they mention Puerto Rico also...so far this year about 610 murders in such a small island. It really hurts to admit it, but it's reality.
Thanks, that's so sad!

Old 09-15-2009, 05:06 PM

9,048 posts, read 16,465,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by humacaena View Post
adventuregurl,

Prichard makes up a BIG part of that, since it's included in the "metro" area.

Old 10-13-2009, 12:30 AM

2 posts, read 4,358 times
I absoulutely...LOVE Fairhope...I discovered Fairhope about 5 years ago...my new husband's family lives in Daphne and Loxley and I had went to meet them...What an awesome area! I am from North
Alpharetta GA...grew up in the 60's and 70's there....used to be a quiet little community...NOW it is full of Mcmansions and Horse Farms....Fairhope reminded me of my little hometown when I was a child...The fact that it is as close to the gulf as it is...is a GREAT PLUS...Everything is laid back and simple there....can't beat the weather..I now live close to Athens GA....Fairhope is the same kind of Artsy, Laidback, community that Athens is...WITH the ocean close by....And you can find fresh produce anywhere in Baldwin Cty....there are farm vendors everywhere...Everyone is nice and friendly...I will agree with the poster on the racial issues though...I agree that the Lower Alabama is a bit behind in tolerance of all races...BUT, I have found it to be mostly the old timers in the area that are that way....I really do believe as more people begin to find out how great the area is and start moving into the area.... the more tolerable everyone is going to be...I am not making excuses for anyone....but the older folks down there are simply expressing what they have been around for their entire lives...doesn't make it right, but it's just the way it is....If you ask me....thats the PERFECT reason for new people of different cultures and with different views to move into the area....We are all made by the same GOD, lets just teach each other better ways....I hope to retire in Baldwin County....and I hope to teach by my example...everyone is equal in Gods eyes...and deserves to be respected.

Old 10-13-2009, 04:10 AM

272 posts, read 590,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trinamarie1 View Post
I absoulutely...LOVE Fairhope...I discovered Fairhope about 5 years ago...my new husband's family lives in Daphne and Loxley and I had went to meet them...What an awesome area! I am from North
Alpharetta GA...grew up in the 60's and 70's there....used to be a quiet little community...NOW it is full of Mcmansions and Horse Farms....Fairhope reminded me of my little hometown when I was a child...The fact that it is as close to the gulf as it is...is a GREAT PLUS...Everything is laid back and simple there....can't beat the weather..I now live close to Athens GA....Fairhope is the same kind of Artsy, Laidback, community that Athens is...WITH the ocean close by....And you can find fresh produce anywhere in Baldwin Cty....there are farm vendors everywhere...Everyone is nice and friendly...I will agree with the poster on the racial issues though...I agree that the Lower Alabama is a bit behind in tolerance of all races...BUT, I have found it to be mostly the old timers in the area that are that way....I really do believe as more people begin to find out how great the area is and start moving into the area.... the more tolerable everyone is going to be...I am not making excuses for anyone....but the older folks down there are simply expressing what they have been around for their entire lives...doesn't make it right, but it's just the way it is....If you ask me....thats the PERFECT reason for new people of different cultures and with different views to move into the area....We are all made by the same GOD, lets just teach each other better ways....I hope to retire in Baldwin County....and I hope to teach by my example...everyone is equal in Gods eyes...and deserves to be respected.
We just moved from Alpharetta to Loxley in July and we absolutely love it, so much to do and the stress level is non existant. Putting 400 in the rear view mirror is very good for your health.

Old 10-27-2009, 10:40 AM

2 posts, read 4,358 times
Were you a life time Alpharettian? I bet you LOVE living there....we just got back from another weekend down there. Agree on the 400 issue!!

Old 10-27-2009, 05:51 PM

272 posts, read 590,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trinamarie1 View Post
Were you a life time Alpharettian? I bet you LOVE living there....we just got back from another weekend down there. Agree on the 400 issue!!
No, only about 2.5 years. We sold our house in Dunwoody before the market crashed and were just renting a house off Haynes Bridge. I had about 20 years total in Georgia, prior to that I'm a native New Yorker. Never really did like GA, but I absolutely love Bama. If ya got any questions about stuff, just fire away

Old 11-04-2009, 12:50 AM

5 posts, read 12,103 times
If it bothered you THAT much... you probably ought to stay away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area