Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2009, 10:41 AM

4,796 posts, read 15,366,291 times

Advertisements

We have a family member that may be moving to the Mobile Bay area with her husband. He works from home so commuting isn't a problem for him. She teaches at a community college. She doesn't mind a commute, but she is looking more for a good college or university to teach, but still keep their cost of living lower. They are looking to buy between 200K to 300K depending on what kind of salary she can get.

How does the COL compare between Pensacola and the Mobile and the greater Mobile area? And good to great colleges or universities? What about state income taxes and area sales taxes and property insurance? No kids, so they are not concerned about schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2009, 12:08 PM

2,667 posts, read 6,779,849 times
Mobile has the University of South Alabama, which is already D-1 and growing at one of the fastest paces in the nation. It is a good school. Pensacola will not have anything that compares with it college/university wise, but both Pensacola and Mobile have many junior colleges and community colleges as well. Mobile also has Spring Hill College and Mobile College. I don't have time to discuss the taxing differences between FL and AL, but there are some definite differences. Cost of living will be about the same. Hope that helps a little bit ... others will provide more detail I am sure.

Old 09-10-2009, 12:27 PM

754 posts, read 1,922,641 times
Here are some links on City Data that may be able to help.

http://www.city-data.com/business/ec...a-Florida.html

http://www.city-data.com/us-cities/T...e-Economy.html

Old 09-10-2009, 12:35 PM

432 posts, read 1,255,774 times
Property taxes are much lower in Alabama than in Florida but Florida has no tax on food.

Old 09-15-2009, 05:07 PM

483 posts, read 886,156 times
Property taxes and insurance is about triple in FL, but there's no state income tax. Trust me. It's cheaper in AL. I wanted to move to Gulf Breeze, FL (and I've lived in Mobile my whole life), but it was cheaper to move to Daphne on the Eastern Shore. To compare...my property taxes will run about 850 a year. The same house in Gulf Breeze would run about 2300 a year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
View detailed profiles of: